Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Hmm , why did you close my thread ?

It was not an agressive or hostile thread, i thought it would help.
I just see so many threads on this subject. I think it should be in the opening by its self.
But ii would like to know why you thought the thread needed to be closed ? ( He say's with a smile and handing a coke for him to enjoy )
Old 10/21/2007, 08:04 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Because you made your point. People will use what they use. The problem is that people may not always have access to purified water, or be able to afford it, or what not.

Had I left it open, in a day or two people would have stopped replying to it, and it would have fallen off of the front page of the site, to be lost in the archives forever, pushed down by people wondering why they are getting algae in their tanks, because they use tap water.

The same topics come up over and over again. This one will too.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 10/21/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Well many threads or well most threads end up this way i think .
but if it helps 1 guy from planning , spending money , hours of time , and the exciment of a beutifull reef tank to be shattered by poor water quality then point was well recived sorry if i came of wrong . But since this thread will be closed also then all i can say is , PLEASE USE SAFE FILTERED WATER IN YOUR REEF SYSTEM.

Thank You
Lance Hollister
Old 10/21/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I see no reason why the thread was closed. If it falls off, ti falls off. Maybe a newb will read it and then do some research.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vader88
I see no reason why the thread was closed. If it falls off, ti falls off. Maybe a newb will read it and then do some research.
Thank You.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Well -- it is all covered in the Water Quality section in WaterKeeper's sticky post.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
Well -- it is all covered in the Water Quality section in WaterKeeper's sticky post.
MB so but if you notice alot of folkes in here seem to give the impression that if they use it with no problems so you can. And ignore this.
But at the same time i also see many threads on useing unfiltered tap and haveing problems. They test and the test shows no reading so they think its fine. But if continued use of tap and the untraceable amounts of toxins will build over time usaually whene its to late and they believe it may be because of something else when it could just be the water they used.

This hobby os hard enough and if you can elimanate a problem like water quailty up front it can help alot.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

if you cant afford purified water is like a race car driver that cant afford gas, it dont work
Old 10/22/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stuccodude
if you cant afford purified water is like a race car driver that cant afford gas, it dont work
All the OP is saying is " If people don't know they should use RO/DI water, then they aren't going to use it "

Coming to this forum is a good start for them, that means there willing to learn. If they don't know about water quality, their not going to go to the water quality forum. They just take water from the tap, add salt and call it a day.

I have no problem seeing a thread besides the sticky which just reads First Time users thread ... reminding about water quality.

Just my opinion
Old 10/22/2007, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

Hour beten the ro thing to death!
Old 10/22/2007, 09:56 AM
old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Hour beten the ro thing to death!
Maybe true .. but same goes for cycling,ich, substrate changes, test kits, cyano and a long list of other subjects.

Moderators should not close threads just because they think they are boring or have been adequately covered over the yrs.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:33 AM
Bogus Information Expert

The RO/DI issue, MH vs T-5 or VHO, water changes during the cycle, glass vs acrylic tanks, and what darn salt mix or skimmer to use are the bread and butter items of the newbie forum. No matter how many times I answer the question, post a sticky, work on a FAQ, or write an article they will appear every day in some form or the other.

I've learned to live with it however.

Actually we get close to 100 new member joining RC each day and many of them post before reading. I really see no end to it no matter what we do. People feel better getting a personal response than reading an article or doing a search.

Tom
Old 10/22/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

What is the differance if the thread was closed or not? Your post was a statment of your opinion, not an open ended discussion topic.

You said (I'll paraphrase) "Use RO/DI water or you will fail"

You left nothing to debate or comment on that would end up in anything less than some argument rather then constructive discussion.

In short, I agree with the closing of the thread.

Now, if you had said something like "I have found that using tap water causes Problem XYZ, so please avoid using this. I strongly suggest using RO/DI water for the following reason (Insert your facts) Thank you"

Then your thread would probably still be open you filled with comments like "He's got a point" and "Right on" and maybe "All noobs should read this"..... =)
Old 10/22/2007, 11:04 AM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
The RO/DI issue, MH vs T-5 or VHO, water changes during the cycle, glass vs acrylic tanks, and what darn salt mix or skimmer to use are the bread and butter items of the newbie forum. No matter how many times I answer the question, post a sticky, work on a FAQ, or write an article they will appear every day in some form or the other.

Actually we get close to 100 new member joining RC each day and many of them post before reading. I really see no end to it no matter what we do. People feel better getting a personal response than reading an article or doing a search.
Perhaps requiring all new members to read all the stickied threads AND submit to you a ten page research paper on the topics for your approval prior to getting posting priviledges?

I know you're just wanting something else to do besides that magazine article gig, WK.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:08 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Now that's a thought.

Tom
Old 10/22/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shooter7
Perhaps requiring all new members to read all the stickied threads AND submit to you a ten page research paper on the topics for your approval prior to getting posting priviledges?

I know you're just wanting something else to do besides that magazine article gig, WK.
IMO you don't really want to resort to that--I was on another site a year or two ago---that the owner monitored every post, every movement on the site, read private email and gave out demerit points for things like not listing your tank parameters in your avitar.
It was not a nice informative place like Reef Escape

that said I purposely give my time to answering questions in the new forum----I like to give back what so many people have given me.

That's me---if you are not inclined to be tolerant to new people, or think repeated questions on the same topic are too much to handle --then there are alot of other forum where you can enjoy yourself

Last edited by capn_hylinur; 10/22/2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper

good attitude Tom----it is the nature of the beast--everyone starts somewhere----I wish I had started at Reef Central--would have saved alot of mistakes and money.
When I started here--not too long ago---I had many misconceptions that were cleared up here and probably asked alot of the basic questions already answered.
But due to the positive reception and corrections I have learned alot.
That tends to make me more receptive to new members---actually happy for them that they chose to join Reef Central in the first place
Old 10/22/2007, 01:17 PM
Send money....

ooooooo.....demerits

Old 10/22/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shooter7
ooooooo.....demerits

yeah I got them for trying to use email before 10 posts were made and making a statement without backing it up with facts
---and finally got banned for linking to a couple of posts from another "competing web site" ( and the irony of the whole thing it was this site that i was referring to )
Old 10/22/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

So wait!! Are you saying that tap water is bad for my reef?? : )
Old 10/22/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I never said if you use unfiltered tap water you will fail. My main point is its best if you can eliminate this as a problem then thigs may go smoother. But thanks for all the responses.

GO Cowboys
Old 10/22/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

well, there is the chance that what happened to me could happen to others....I had the LFS set up our brand new reef tank and they used tap water for the entire thing...I knew no different so it was to be...I found this forum AFTER the tank was set up and I have spent over 1 1/2 years now desperately trying to undo the damage done from the start of this tank. There are days I don't think I will ever get out of it! and when you are new to the hobby and new to this site it is completely overwhelming so although I know it is hard for you "salty old guys" sometimes a new post like that catches the eye of a newbie and you can save them the heartache I am going through.....better late then never is still late
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vickreyreef
well, there is the chance that what happened to me could happen to others....I had the LFS set up our brand new reef tank and they used tap water for the entire thing...I knew no different so it was to be...I found this forum AFTER the tank was set up and I have spent over 1 1/2 years now desperately trying to undo the damage done from the start of this tank. There are days I don't think I will ever get out of it! and when you are new to the hobby and new to this site it is completely overwhelming so although I know it is hard for you "salty old guys" sometimes a new post like that catches the eye of a newbie and you can save them the heartache I am going through.....better late then never is still late
Thanks , thats all it was intented to do . Help others. Not cause some admin to freak and tell me its usless and meaning-less.

I come here to learn and help other by experiances i have.
Though i never used unfiltered tap water ever cause i really dont trust the water where i live. But i see many threads on this very subject.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:34 AM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

I hardly "freaked out". Your original original post was pretty agressive. This thread, by comparison, has been tamer. While I empathize with you (most of my 7800 posts are in this forum), go back and read your original post:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1233522

This part here:

Quote:
If you use unfiltered tap and never have problems then good for you and its great you have such a great water supply,just keep it to your self and stop making other people believe its safe. Just lie huh.

But for most americans there tap water is not very good and mb even unhealthy. Just dont do it .Please filter or buy RO/DI.
As waterkeeper pointed out, newbies would rather post and get a personal answer than search or read threads. We already have stickies right at the top of the forum with all sorts of stuff on RO/DI usage. Does anyone really read them? Probably not. Case in point - since talking about this, there have been about ten new threads asking "do I need an RO/DI". It's like putting your foot down in front of an anthill. the ants will find a way around.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 10/23/2007, 06:56 AM
Send money....

This is the reason many times my responses to people are, "go to this forum and read the stickies or do a search". People need to learn to do their own legwork on the basics in this hobby.