Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/16/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the update ktar. Nice score man!!
Rumor has it that our local LFS is getting a shipment of Duncans pretty soon.....colors are supposedly Bluish Green!! We shall see if it's true.
Old 01/21/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PauChi
Thanks for the update ktar. Nice score man!!
Rumor has it that our local LFS is getting a shipment of Duncans pretty soon.....colors are supposedly Bluish Green!! We shall see if it's true.
Paul...It's mine...all mine
I can't wait either....
Old 01/31/2007, 12:40 AM
eating my reef

My guess is that ORAs Duncans get that flourescent green from the sunlight they get. I have seen that a lot in corals that are greenhouse grown. Probably some natural sunscreen that the corals develop when exposed to lots of UV. FWIW, would be really interesting to see if they keep that sheen as they grow out and mature over the years.
Old 01/31/2007, 05:06 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Meisen
My guess is that ORAs Duncans get that flourescent green from the sunlight they get. I have seen that a lot in corals that are greenhouse grown. Probably some natural sunscreen that the corals develop when exposed to lots of UV. FWIW, would be really interesting to see if they keep that sheen as they grow out and mature over the years.
Interesting. My aquarium receives a lot of natural sunlight... I just lack the Duncan in it.
Old 02/01/2007, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

LiveAquaria had two Australian Green Duncans under their aquacultured section for sale today, one polyp-$69.99 and two polyp $139.99. I decided to pull the trigger on the single polyp and while I was doing that the two polyp disappeared off the site. The picture looked really nice. I am attracted to them because they remind me of a mini elegance in some ways and I can't fit an elegance in my tank nor do they do well these days in captivity.
Old 02/01/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

My Duncan colony has grown so large that it can't stand up on it's own anymore. I had it on the bottom of a glass tank, and one of the polyps was leaning on the glass. Yesterday I noticed that polyp had a mucus coating over it. It looked like it suffocated, and was starting to decay.
I put it in a cup of SW and started blasting the polyp with a turkey baster. There was decayed flesh coming out, but much of the polyp was still alive, which worried me that it might continue to die, and cause a chain reaction.
After cleaning the wound, I gave it a bath in Tropic Marin Pro-coral cure, which is just a strong Iodine solution.

After the bath, I decided to cut the damaged polyp out. It was a 3 polyp section where the polyps were still closely connected. I used the dremel to make the cut, but could not get deep enough.(Wish that diamond bit was bigger) I had to break off the remaining piece, and of course, it did not break clean. The damaged polyp was cut it half. So I sliced it with the razor blade.

I'm hoping it's OK today. I moved it to a tank with more flow, and put it on some eggcrate.
Old 02/01/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Would that be half price Randy?? Kidding aside your first Duncan was a 1.5 polyp from Sanjay right? Hope it's going to recover soon.
Old 02/01/2007, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

So if left to it's own devices in a happy thriving reef my single polyp will eventually get as big as my old elegance???(my old elegance was 1 ft x 1 ft in diamter), hahaha...one can only hope, eh?
Randy, sorry to hear of your minor crisis. I bet it will bounce back in your most excellent tank. It was probably a good idea to frag it off from the main colony for safety sake. I know what you mean about the dremel diamond wheels...I am trying to find the larger size, I currently just have the littel diamond wheel but I thought you could get a large size, I just don't know where.
Old 02/01/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

slojmn,
If you find a larger size diamond cutting wheel, let me know where you got it from.
Thanks
Old 02/07/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone know if the LiveAquaria Duncan polyps get as large as the ORAs?
Old 02/07/2007, 03:38 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Lots O duncan here and priced fairly reasonable- all things considered.
Old 02/07/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Can someone please clue me in on what ORA is? Thanks!
Old 02/07/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums
They captive raise fish and corals and sell to fish stores.
http://www.orafarm.com/
Old 02/07/2007, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Nice, thanks!
Old 03/25/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I've read contrasting info on lighting and placement requirements for these animals. What conditions do they like?
Old 03/25/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Reefer

Mine is on the bottom under a 96w PC where it is my MH really isn't hitting it. Lower water flow section of the tank as well. It has went from one head to three in two months and I have only target fed it once so it seems that is happy

The answer is always no if you never ask the question.....
Old 04/14/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

I bought a 2 headed frag a couple weeks ago and placed it in the top third of my tank under 150W MH with low to moderate flow. So far, they open up and seem happy.

Here are a couple pics.