Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2005, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Question Does anyone know how to wire a GFCI circuit breaker?

I'm sure there are a couple electricians out there. I purchased a couple at Lowe's this morning (breakers that is, not electricians) to replace the existing circuit breakers for the circuits my tanks are on.

Problem is I don't see any instructions on how to wire them up. The old ones only have 1 wire with the black (hot) one connected to them. The new ones have 2 connection screws as well as a short "coiled" wire lead. Where does this go?

-Chinese Proverb
Old 12/04/2005, 04:24 PM
Unregistered Member

PM Lost Marbles he knows electrical stuff. frankiej also knows, but I think he was booted
Old 12/04/2005, 05:03 PM
30 year and over club

That short coiled wire is a neutral and goes to the neutral bar with all the other white wires in your panel. Your new GFI should have a screw for the load wire and another one for the neutral. You have to disconnect the neutral wire from the neutral bar for the circuit you are protecting and put it on the other screw on the GFI. One screw should say hot or load or it will be colored something other than silver (depending on which manufactured GFI you bought)
Paul
Old 12/04/2005, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

Thanks to both of you. I found this on the web, Cutler-Hammer, which seems to agree with what Paul said. Although Paul's explanation is much clearer (thanks Paul).

I think I'll save it for next weekend now. Its getting dark quickly and I plan to turn off the main breaker. I don't fancy getting shocked or working in the dark (pun intended)!

-Chinese Proverb
Old 12/04/2005, 06:19 PM
30 year and over club

If I can't wire a GFI after being an electrician for 35 years I should hang it up.
Good luck.
Paul
Old 12/06/2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Paul is 100% correct
Old 12/07/2005, 01:42 PM
Man am I busy

I must tell you I have done alot of wiring (some good some I was afraid might burn the house down) and after all that I feel that if all possible you must consult a licensed electrition or atleast have one check your work, I am glad I did.
Old 12/08/2005, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Excellent advice!

-Chinese Proverb