Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 04:58 PM
Obsessed

what mantis for my 10 gallon? (mantis newb lots of questions )

Well considering i already have a nice canopy built for a standard 10 gallon tank. having a 90 gallon on the way and a 1.6 gallon pico. i was thinking about starting up a mantis tank.

is a 10 gallon to small for any mantis?
do they have any major lighting requirements?
filter works? need a skimmer?
i think i need someone to link me some "build" threads for their mantis tanks.

so far i think ive learned that a substrated is strongly reccomended as is lots of liverock rubble for the mantis to build a home. lighting is kept mostly of the bluish spectrum.

what are the flow requirements for mantis?
Old 11/30/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

10 gallon is good for most mantis as there are only a few commonly kept species that reach beyond the 4" mark. ciliata, wennerae, smithii, ternatensis would all do fine in a 10 among other species. A small peacock would do alright as long as it's upgraded as it grows.

Lighting could be variable, PC and lesser output lighting are fine. I use T5 to help more with coral growth and anemones in my mantis tanks. Halides and other very strong sources of light are not recommended for deep water species.

Most rates of flow are fine as long as it doesn't move the substrate around or pass through any burrows. I personally use just enough flow to turn the water volume over through filtration and 1 small powerhead for any corals/anemones who need it.

A hang on filter is suitable to remove what you can and most offer carbon packs which do help. A skimmer is not necessary and macro algae can be added for additional nitrate export if you need it. Nitrates really shouldn't be an issue if the husbandry is good (water changes) and it isn't overfed or loaded with fish the mantis won't eat.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:30 PM
Obsessed

so 2 13 watt PC 50/50 bulbs
a hang on back filter with carbon, ( aqua clear 20 or 30 )
a small power head. microjet 404 or 606
few large rocks and a pile of rubble
substrate is really not a factor as long as its there. ( aggromax or livesand )

hrmm wonder what to do about surface skimming. wonder if i can mod a AC into some kind of surface skimmer.

sounds like a cheap ( well cheaper ) tank to set up.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I use a hang on back filter that has a built in surface skimmer. Works very well. I was very skeptical about it at first but it has proven it's worth.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

A few notes.

I personally like skimmers and find them to be IMO mandatory for saltwater aquaria. However, judicious water changes, carbon, etc can take its place. Lots of work though.

A 10 gallon is too small for a P. ciliata. I would stick to small species: N. wennerae, G. smithii, etc.

Some species like more substrate than others. Check Roy's List. Most small smashers will be "fine" with little or no substrate.

Dan
Old 11/30/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

My mistake on the Tern, not so 10g friendly so scratch that one. The ciliata, smithii, and wennerae are all the same size.

Water changes are essential with or without a skimmer. Water changes do much to lower nitrates but to also replenish natural seawater levels. Skimmers certainly have their uses no doubt, mainly in high nitrate systems, however they do nothing other than remove nitrates caused by detritus and don't replace the need for regular weekly/bi-weekly water changes. In a small system this can be alternately adjusted by macros and regular water changes. Given that mantis are more tolerant towards nitrates than say a fish or anemone, I personally think a skimmer on a mantis tank is overkill.

But once again this is all a matter of opinion and what works for me. and no offense at all Dan. I'm just playing devils avocate here for a guy who will just be able to choose what his time and budget will allow

Last edited by Mr Stomato; 11/30/2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:27 PM
Obsessed

so can someone give me an equipment list for a 10 gallon?
gimmie brands you would reccomend

and a mantis list? i was thinking peacock. but he might get to big?

Quote:
I use a hang on back filter that has a built in surface skimmer. Works very well. I was very skeptical about it at first but it has proven it's worth.
what brand and model is this. the 10 gallon canopy i have has an opening on the short end only so it has to be less than 9 inchs from end to end.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

How about a 10g with an aquaclear 110 power filter? You can mod the flow and you could even hide your heater in the filter, along with your carbon media you use? Stock canopy lighting or upgrade the bulb?
Old 12/01/2007, 01:50 AM
Obsessed

i already made a nice hood for a 10 gallon but it was designed to go a certian way so it would sit right on my end table. there fore the opening has to be on a small side =/
Old 12/01/2007, 02:04 AM
Obsessed

looks liek the largest i can squeeese back there would be an AC 70 according to this site
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=401
Old 12/01/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

An aquaclear 70 would probly be plenty good i would think. I might even try this myself.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:02 AM
Obsessed

thats an AC 70 sitting on the short end of a 10 gallon.
i can probably fit some heater in the back of an AC 70
switch the impeller out to slow it down some and run a mini fuge maybe. maybe not. not sure if i want to use an extra power outlet for another light there.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

what kind of skimmer do you have on that tank?
Old 12/01/2007, 04:46 PM
Obsessed

not my tank found it in the aquaclear 70 mod thread. i can link you to that post gimmie a sec

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

half way down member name is ahill3780
Old 12/05/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Check out a new product from current usa , it's called the subcurrent and has a surface skimmer . It is (in tank) so it takes up a little room but looks solid in design and function; with multi stage filtration. It also has multi port return capabilities that you can incorporate Locline!..
http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/85/CU08026/CU08026_1.jpg
.As far as skimming goes since there is usually little to no fish load in a mantis tank then you prob. don't need to worry about it too much. I do like skimmers in my tanks but in a mantis tank the bioload is lower than average. Carbon is the poor mans skimmer and works fine. Macro's fill their niche but need some attention. Hope that helps . keep us posted.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I am not sure that I agree that the bioload is lower in a mantis tank. I feed my mantis about every other day- and he gets more food than if it was a fish/invert tank. Nothing that frequent water changes can't keep up with though. I do water changes at least twice a week- but since it is only 8 gallons- it is pretty quick to do.
I don't have a skimmer on the mantis tank- but I do have a skimmer on a 12 gallon tank and the Rio nano skimmer works pretty well for the price- there is alot of adjusting to get it to skim how you want it to- but it is small, compact and cost effective.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...o_nano_skimmer

Julie
Old 12/06/2007, 08:36 PM
Obsessed

hey julie. can you measure the minium required lineir space in inchs needed for that skimmer? would it fit on the small side of a 10 gallon tank? thats about 9 inchs of room.