Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2005, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

can i put a red clay brick in my sump?

i have a red clay brick in my sump to set my skimmer on. is it safe or will it leach anything bad into my tank?
Old 12/07/2005, 02:05 PM
Man am I busy

first of all you will need to know if there is anything that can leach into the tank, I would expect that when it was made there were some slightly toxic (to your tank) items used, one I can think of is the die used to make the brick red. Also the brick is porus so its going to want to absorb items to later dump them back into the tank. And finally remember that masonry contains silica and that can (usually is) BAD
Old 12/07/2005, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Get a plastic storage container from wall mart. The shorter longer ones made for storing pencils and pens. I would get that brick out of there.

-Karlitosway
Old 12/07/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Fired brick is completely inert and will not harm a thing in your tank.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra
Old 12/07/2005, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by karlitosway
Get a plastic storage container from wall mart. The shorter longer ones made for storing pencils and pens. I would get that brick out of there.
I did this too. I used a rubbermaid container and filled it with aquarium gravel so it would not float.
Old 12/07/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I make stands from misc. acrylic pieces. An "H" design works well and you can drill a couple holes to keep water moving.
Not a sellout!
Old 12/08/2005, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Thats one heck of a tank! Why risk it?
Old 12/08/2005, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Why would you do that? Take it out. Get some plastic in there.

Red bricks are red for a reason: Iron. Ferric Oxide. Iron (II) Oxide. Unless you grow a butt load of plants in your tank to suck up all the Iron released into your water, otherwise, algae blooms.

Ask yourself this question before you put anything into your tank that you question:

How many people do you know with a [insert whatever] in their tank?

in this case:

How many people do you know with a [red clay brick] in their tank?
Old 12/08/2005, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Speedo makes a rubber weighted brick (same size and shape as a brick) for Lifeguard training. They put it at the deep end of a pool and trainees are required to retrieve it. It's rubber, totally inert.

Russ
Old 12/08/2005, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

thanks all, out it comes. i'll get something plastic in there for a platform.

Carl
Old 12/08/2005, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I am glad your are taking out the brick. Don't take the risk. PVC pipe or PVC fittings would make a good support for your skimmer. Place three or four pieces under your skimmer and your in good shape. Make sure the pieces are all even. I like using the PVC fittings because you do not have to cut , so they are the same height and lenght. You can drill some holes for circulation. The best prices are at Home Depot or Loews. Some LFS/on-line stores charges three time the price than Home Depot or Loews.
Old 12/08/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

It's rubber, totally inert.

Not all rubber is inert. To compound rubber there are often very hazardous chemicals mixed in as well as oil.
Old 12/08/2005, 04:54 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
How many people do you know with a [red clay brick] in their tank?
Actually I use red clay brick in my tank. I think I invented using clay brick in a refugium or as a support for corals. I also believe it makes a good very cheap alternative for live rock in places where looks do not matter like dealers tanks or breeding tanks.
My reef will be 35 years old in a few weeks, so far the bricks did not harm anything. Of course not all red bricks are the same but red fired clay brick is made of clay, hence the name. Clay is inert. If there is some iron oxide in it it will benefit your corals.
Just my opinion.
Paul
Old 12/08/2005, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PatrickJ

Red bricks are red for a reason: Iron. Ferric Oxide. Iron (II) Oxide. Unless you grow a butt load of plants in your tank to suck up all the Iron released into your water, otherwise, algae blooms.

Cool, his brick is like a big phosphate sponge. Isn't ferric oxide what phosban is made out of?
Old 12/08/2005, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Paul, just because your tank is 35 years old doesn't mean it can't leech anything hazardous into your tank. I'd get them out immediately.

Just kidding. I've seen pix of your 35 year old baby and it's grown to quite the impressive reef.

Congrats on approaching your golden anniversary before I reach my paper anniversary.

Russ
Old 12/08/2005, 06:16 PM
30 year and over club

I was thinking about chucking all of my rock and corals and just building a brick wall in my tank.

Old 12/08/2005, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
I was thinking about chucking all of my rock and corals and just building a brick wall in my tank.

But then it would be just another brick in the wall.

Russ
Old 12/08/2005, 08:35 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by PatrickJ

Red bricks are red for a reason: Iron. Ferric Oxide. Iron (II) Oxide.
Actually this is incorrect information...Bricks are red because they were fired this way....A hotter fire will give you a brighter color...there is no iron in bricks....
Bricks

I doubt there is anything in that brick that would kill anything in your tank...the only way it would if some chemical was on the brick itself that had gotten into your tank...
Old 12/08/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

If you go to home depot or similar, in the plumbing section that have these round plastic drainage covers, round like my skimmer and about 2-2.5 inches high. I think they cost like $1. My skimmer sits on one, and the pump is actually on 2 because I wanted it closer to the top of the water.
Old 12/08/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Listen to the guy who said don't risk it. I mean we put so muh effort into these things, and consequently when the tank suffers, everyone around me suffers. Just get some cheap plastic, thats way to nice of a tank to take any risks with.
Old 12/09/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool, his brick is like a big phosphate sponge. Isn't ferric oxide what phosban is made out of?
The whole thing is not ferric oxide, its red because of ferric oxide present with in the clay all among other crap you do not want in a tank.

I wouldn't use that stuff. People are so lazy. Everyone looking for a quick fix. Go get a snail for an algae problem.
Old 12/09/2005, 03:31 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The plasticisers in your acrylic, tubing ect. probably leach more and do more harm than a brick would do. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12/09/2005, 04:07 AM
Moved On

better safe than sorry!!!
Old 12/09/2005, 06:19 AM
Moved On

Take it from me I worked in a Brick Yard for 5 years. Yes there is Iron Oxide in Red brick along with alot of other crap. In fact they spray the brick with a water repellant now to keep them stored outside in fields till they are sold. There is silicates and various other chemicals added to the mix before they are fired. Not all Red brick is the same eithier, some have more organics in them and some have sand added. Depends on where the brick is going and what its used for. Older brick pre-70's is not the same as todays red brick. We added batches of anti-corrosives to the mix and various plastisizers which keep the brick looking good and repelling UV damage. I wouldnt put one in my reef tank. I wouldnt take the chance. I dont think salt water attacking it 24/7 would be a good thing eitheir. Use PVC which has been shown to leak phosphates also but to such a minimum its undetectable by most test kits so we call it safe to use.
Old 12/09/2005, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

you heard it from the brick man himself!