Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

aefw

can it be transfered through fish?
i am very careful with who i get my frags from, but i am still getting pest in my tank.
i only found them one colony and just did the first dip with tmpc and manual removal.
dipping corals is not helping. i think we should all have a qt tank.
any other suggestion or secrets on battling these guys?
i have already searched a few post.
thanks
Old 12/27/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

hey buddy, the best way is to keep your tank acro free for over a month and dipping.
thats the only sure way. i don't think they can be transferred through fish. you probably have hidden egg clutches in the base of your coral that you are missing.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

hey ez i took that colony completely out. you think there are others on my other acros?
Old 12/27/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

i know im gonna get hammered but im new at sps what is aefw thanks
Old 12/27/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

acro eating flatworm
Old 12/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

yes, they probably are.

Quote:
Originally posted by lowbudget
hey ez i took that colony completely out. you think there are others on my other acros?

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 12/28/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

ahhhhhhhhhh.... i think im going to quit. i cant stay away from any of these pest.
first monti nudis
then red bugs
now aefw.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

just wondering are AEFW's able to swim? or do they have to migrate from colony to colony?

i dont have any in my tank but just in case it happens...i am wondering if the effected coral will spread it to the rest of the tank (i know it will) but how fast?...

is it too late once you have discovered them?

Sorry for the HIJACK....i feel terrible about your recent misfortune with these pests...i lost a boat load of zoa's to nudi's...and spiders...i know how you feel...all though they arent near as expensive as the acros...
Old 12/28/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

I believe the AEFW larvae is planctonic, when the eggs hatch they are free swimming and if they land on a coral then they start to feast and breed again. You have to be sure to remove all eggs, camel shrimps are suppost to be good for a 60min dip. Monti nudis are easy in comparision
Old 12/28/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

will they eat montis? or only acros?
Old 12/29/2007, 01:53 AM
Premium Member

From what I've read and discussions I've had with people developing new treatments these guys do not have a larval stage. They hatch hungry ready to eat. 10-15 can hatch from one egg. There was a pic posted a while back of the eggs hatching. Anecdotal reports are they can start to lay eggs within days of hatching(not sure I truly believe that). Now they can get blown off a coral and land somewhere else. In fact blowing them off corals in front of wrasses used to be the in-tank treatment for these guys.

I second the opinion that egg batches are missed. I really wish I had a picture of what I'm going to relate. I had just found out the AEFW had gotten through my TMPCC treatments and into the frag tank. I was inspecting corals and came upon this loisettae that had receeded when I first mounted it with super glue. It had formed that growth ridge but had not yet fully grown back. The receded area was at most 1/16". I found a single line of eggs on that receeded area under the ridge that could only be seen by looking from the bottom up real close. In fact there was no real way for me to make sure I got them all out so I trashed the whole base.

And to answer the original question no they won't be transported by fish and are only known to eat acros.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks.
I also dip my stuff in tmpcc and i guess it did not work.
i think i will try and battle these guys.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

i dont think i have aefw. i just dip my suspected valida in fw for 30 minutes and nothing flat or round came off even with rigorous shaking. the only thing that came off is the white slime that sps gets when they are stressed. the crazy part is some part that had tissue lost grew back?
Old 01/03/2008, 03:01 AM
Premium Member

Here is some info for you guys.....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=903839

http://www.melevsreef.com/aefw.html

I don't know about anyone else, but the question: "What are AEFW?" REALLY freaks me out, am I the only one? Man, sends a chill down my spine everytime....

Last edited by dots; 01/03/2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

let me just say.... I HATE THEM!!!! they killed everything that was a sps just about... i only have monties now... I REALLY HATE THEM... i diped 4x... they all did good the first 3 x... then 4x.. got the best of my corals... a little on my fault .. left them in for almost a hr.... but ill blame them anyways!!!! i need a new job to afford more corals... im stuck with the monties and monties alone for now... at least i have some stick still...

i will now dip every sps frag i get...
what are you guys/gals dipping solution??? proceedures??

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/03/2008, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I've lost more to the treatment(QT tank stability issues) than to the bugs themselves. Although it was just a matter of time. I've seen what they did to the encrusted bases I left behind. Only took 2 weeks to eat a 2" by 2" base of Purple Unknown. But they never touched the nana or green slimer bases.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

yeah.. they eat fast... got me sooo mad.. wanted to smash things .... but dint.. cant afford to lol... i only had frags but they started to take off growth wise... then they happened... arghh...

still no dipping procedures for newly purchased frags??

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/03/2008, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

I'm planning to use the Coral Revive that I am currently using for treatments as a dip also.

But after going through this once I may bite the bullet and set up a small QT system.