Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

G. smithii or G. Platysoma?

I am setting up a mantis tank and was thinking i wanted to try a peacock but the more i research i find myself drawn to the smithii or platysoma.. Which is more active/hardy that will take well to living in an aquarium? Does anyone know where to find a smithii?
Old 12/18/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

g. smithii seems to be a tough one to find- you can either sign up for email notification at Blue Zoo Aquatics, or watch Live Aquaria Diver's Den like a hawk.
I believe that Stomatopod.com is trying to get smithii's in- it is all just a question of identifying after they get them in. From my understanding no WHOLESALER sells identified- unless it is maybe Peacock and that is hit or miss too, if it is a correct ID or not.
They have a platysoma in stock at stomatopod.com
also watch these boards- some people post links for ID, etc- even if they are not interested in buying the mantis themselves.

Julie
Old 12/18/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Yes i was in contact with Billy from stomatopod.com and he was saying that he IDs them when he gets them in and the wholesalers just send them as mantis shrimp. He also has me now checking out the odontodactylus latirostris which i think maybe the route i am looking to go. I have the divers den send me email notification when new items are added and have been eyeing it for a long time for any mantis let alone the exact species i am looking for! thanks for the response
Craig
Old 12/18/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Platysoma tend to be "shy". But then, some smithii are "outgoing" while others are downright "reclusive" (mine is the latter, unfortunately).

Dan
Old 12/18/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

I was really looking to get a platysoma, but the relative shyness has kind of steered me towards a peacock. I really like the look of the platysoma though.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

It's hard to put a label on any species personality wise. While you can give a generalization of common behavior in a species they all seem to have their own personality. Example: Platysoma are normally shy in general but the last platysoma we had was loaded whith personality. It was a little shy in a housing unit but as soon it was given a sutable habitat to construct with and hide it was very active. Not to pursuade you either way it is up to you. Generally peacocks are very active and interactive so because they are more common to that temperment they are generalized so. Although I still see grumpy inactive peacocks. I do love the platy's though!
Old 12/18/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

well i may be able to get a odontodactylus latirostris...generally speaking are they more shy or outgoing? I understand that it depends on the individual but i'm just looking for a generalization from people with experience with them.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

We just had 3 latirostris come in last week and all seemed active and outgoing in nature. Very intresting mantis.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

We have a G. smithii who is really quite beautiful and extremely easy-going, we've had her for a couple of months and now consider her essentially harmless as far as getting in the tank to clean or move other items around, she has never made an aggressive move. She is quite reclusive, though and won't interact with us except to come out and accept food.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I have had a G. platysoma for 6 days now. She is pretty new to my tank but she is active so far. She settled into her PVC/rock burrow the first day. She crawls out late morning and closes up at around 7:00PM. While her tunnel is open she is out and about and not overly concerned with humans (including my 3 year old son who smashes his face into the tank glass to get a good look into her world - she walks right past him with no problem).