Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

What is your favorite?

Everyone has their own opion of everything and that includes Stomatopods. I was wondering what is your favorite species and why? Is it one you have or wish to have or have had in the past?
I am not trying to open a pointless or endless thread just some input on what you all think is the perfect mantis and why.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

well the "perfect" mantis is a matter of opinon.
i myself like the Peacock Mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus)
because of its attitude and color.
they are very curious and are a joy to have.
.-"-"-.
O RLY?
Old 10/24/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

My favorite is probably P. ciliata. I'm also a big fan of R. komaii but it seems impossible to ge so I don't know if I'd like it better. I also like wenneraes

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 10/24/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Ooooh, that's a tough call.

It's a toss-up between O. havanensis and O. scyllarus.

I LOVE my havanenses (2) because they're smaller, kinda look similar to a pinkish brown peacock, and they have great little personalities. The one that lives in the front of the tank always twitches its antennae at me.

I love my scyllarus because she's *always* hovering about, killing snails, checking me out when I come up to her home, and she's beautiful despite being a female. She's also all about nesting and creating her labyrinth under all the live rock.

These are biased opinions, mind you, because I don't have room in my house for any more tanks!

-Paul
Old 10/24/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Hey GN, what's your favorite so far? You forgot to answer your own question. :P

-Paul
Old 10/24/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Im biased just like the rest of you so Im going to say the colour morph of G. smithii that has the red intersegmental lines... love em!

a couple mantids ive always wanted to try out include the golden morph of P. ciliata (spearer with the temper of a smasher?! sweeet) and imo, the cutie pie of the stomatopod world, O. havanensis.
Old 11/04/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

It's my goal to one day have a proper Lysiosquillina maculata tank, for it's size and fierceness, they're such massive impaling monsters. And I think a DSB with a lurking ambush predator would be the sickest conversation piece and give me a reason to go fishing. I also like the orange Lysiosquilloides mapia for it's odd eye shape.
Old 11/04/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Guess I did forget to mention my fav. ? ...There are many I would like to keep but I guess my favorite would be O. Scyllarus also..
Mine never stops amusing me with her daily antics..from snail bashing to her inquisitve looks..like "Hey where's the grub"!. Still would like to get a G. Tern. though...
Old 11/05/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Echinosquilla guerinii!! I doubt that ill ever see one outside of Roy's list though.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

I agree that's a very intresting mantis. I think the physical attributes and the name alone is very cool. Echinosquilla / Echinoderms .....intresting how characteristics of diff. species and genus entirely play a part on the name . Go Latin!
Old 11/07/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

With limited experience I'm going with Lysiosquillina maculata, mainly because that's what I have. Very cool to watch, I've already seen him cut a feeder in half and he's only about 3".
Old 11/07/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Peacock (Odontodactylus scyllarus) of life i just love the 1 i have.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

My favorite would have to be the Squilla empusa but would kill to have a Lysiosquillina maculata. I also enjoy my Peacock and ciliata a lot!
Old 11/15/2007, 01:26 AM
Reef adict

G.Ternatensis awesome colors, good size, VERY aggressive.
Old 11/15/2007, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

Love those Mac's.. and the terns too... Never tried an Empusa although they are common on the east coast . Kinda want to get a hold of a L. Glabriuscula .
Old 11/15/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Hey MantisBrad, marinedepotlive.com ( sorry if I'm not allowed to post the web name ) has them. That's where I got mine. You might want to check with them.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Twitch is my favorite mantis!!! (G. Smithii)

Ive had him for over a year now...lots of personality. I recently moved his tank into the kitchen and he just watches me make dinner patiently waiting for his next meal...usually silver sides or krill. Think im gunna hit the LFS today since I got paid and grab a few snails and hermits for him though
Old 11/15/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

that is a great looking smithii dave! i love the coloring, kinda looks like a peacock, just smaller.

how big is he now?
Old 11/16/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

My favorite is.......um....all!

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 11/16/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guygettnby
that is a great looking smithii dave! i love the coloring, kinda looks like a peacock, just smaller.

how big is he now?
Hes about 3.5 to 4 inches now... Seams like hes growing at a very slow rate... Oh well, at least hes become a lot more interactive and social lately!
Old 11/19/2007, 05:09 PM
Mantis Freak

personally i love my N. Wennerae because she is always active and very nice, i can get her to eat out of my hand so i feel like i have accomplished something with her
Old 11/21/2007, 01:00 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

i've had a couple of mantis so far:

-viridis (sp?).......way too shy, very small......basically never saw it and only heard it.

-smithii........was also small, and never really saw it that much so this one was pretty shy. but was very pretty. had a decent personality....i love how they always use a door to their cave. just wish it was bigger, and/or more aggressive.

-Gonodactylaceus ternatensis........very cool mantis. lovely blue/purple color. very good personality......out and about searching around the tank for critters or building materials. a little bit skiddish though. the one i currently have even likes to eat flake food....which is a heck of allot easier on me. has even wagered war on a couple of crabs....although it hunts them relentlessly instead of just clobbering the prey like a peacock.

-peacock.......while i haven't owned one.....i will sometime in the future. i just love the color and the aggressiveness. along with the personality of not being shy.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!