Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Two new custom nano tanks in one month!

Sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken from my camera phone.

Two weekends ago I was at home and put together a nano for my mom using all of my stuff from my tank, so here are some pictures of it. It is a 5.5 aga all in one tank as I did the DIY overflow into the back of the tank which is the "sump". It has a Coralife Mini 2 X 9 Watt on it as she only wants a softie and a clown.

FTS:

Notice the black sand, the false back, and the small clowns:

And yesterday a tank I bought off ebay arrived at my house so I went out and bought all of the plumbing and set it up lastnight. I finished the water test today and it doesnt leak so I put the rock and water from my tank in it along with some fresh DI water to let it run for a little. The tank is a 15" x 15" x 12" cube made out of 3/8" acrylic. It already had four holes drilled in the back but im only using 3 of them, so I closed one off. The light will be a spare 175w MH with two 18w Actinics once I find some mounting legs for it. The tank so far is a bare bottom with about 20lbs of LR in it with another 10 in the sump, more will be added when I get it. The overflow is a 90 degree 1.5 inch PVC that was cut down and teeth cut into it, the returns are two maxijet 600's (all i had for now) which push the water up about a foot and a half into the return outlets on either side of the overflow. The "sump" is a black rubbermaid trashcan cut down to fit behind the stand it sits on. I set it up at my girlfriends apartment, she only lives a mile away and im there half of the time, so why not.

FTS:

View of the bare bottom and rock work:

Above:

Plumbing:

Side shot:

View from the bed:

Thanks for looking and I will post pictures as it progresses.
Old 10/04/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

cool nano

I love them- Good job- I am looking forward to more pix. I think I like the nano's better than the large tanks!
Old 10/04/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Yea after having the nanos for a few days and the 40g for 3 months, im liking the nano better
Old 10/04/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I like having my nano reef in my dorms. Nobody else has one and its almost like a social attraction. LOL. Tank looks good.
Old 10/07/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

cool nano man.