Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

advice needed re: new tank blooming and when ready

Wanted to get some advice about adding livestock to a recently cycled or cycling tank.
Used NSW, live rock and live sand, 3 weeks in Im getting diatom bloom. Nothing major but not pretty, water all checks out with good readings.

1. DO I need to wait until this blooming is done before adding corals and livestock

I already added 4 chromis, that are doing good,and some shroom frags that I had in my frag tank. (all doing ok, but not getting big like I have seen them before.

2. Will the bloom go away on its own or do I need to scrape the glass?
Added small clean up crew, but only like 1/4 of what Ill actually need.

3. 180 gallon, would like to add more fish, would anthias be a better 2nd additional as opposed to a yellow tang, or a couple percs? And would this tank need to be more stable to add cleaner shrimp or coral banded? I havent had too much luck with cleaners in the past, I think coral banded was attacking them.

4. I have one tru perc in my frag tank that I would like to transfer, but would like to have a pair of black percs in the tank in the future. Would the 3 of these in one tank be a problem?

I am very anxious, perhaps over to get this going, any advice appreciated.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

you need to add some clean up crew like astrea,turbo snail to take care of the algea on the glass. You can add some tang so they can also control your algea in the tank. don't add too many fish now since your tank still new.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:57 PM
Zoanthid collector

I would manually scrape the glass and add a couple snails.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

What fishes do you want in your tank? I would probably add the Tang last and up your clean up crew.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

added some snails and crabs, but only about 20 of each. as well as a sand sifter. I would like to have a few tangs, pair of clowns, maybe a wrasse and some anthias and a few other small critters
Old 01/06/2008, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

The diatom bloom will go away in a week or so that is common and a good sign your tank is cycling. Add some small reef hermits to help with cleaning up detritis and algae.

"You go inside the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, shark's in the water ... our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies . . ."