Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2004, 06:38 AM
Tang? What Tang!

DW, on that first shipment they sent you around 40lbs of rock. How many peices was that and how big on average. I tried looking at your past pics, looked around 8 peices cant really tell the size though
Old 11/20/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Wow I am amazed at my lfs I found rock just as good if not better than tbs rock if thats possible it was amazing one of the rocks was totally encrusted with a clolny of mini tube worms and some weaird dubble looking tube worms that have a trap door looking thing well anyho talk to ya later

Matt
Old 11/22/2004, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The_fishkeeper86
Wow I am amazed at my lfs I found rock just as good if not better than tbs rock if thats possible it was amazing one of the rocks was totally encrusted with a clolny of mini tube worms and some weaird dubble looking tube worms that have a trap door looking thing well anyho talk to ya later
you prolly have a good chance at finding all kinds of good rock! when i went to naples on my honeymoon a few months back, every store had awesome FL rock. by the time it gets sent up the coast to me or around the horn to TX, it has a bunch of die off. i say a bunch of die off from exp. the LFS near me claims that his rock comes straight from the gulf.....well its white or amminia infested. i spoke with mary from TBS this morning and it looks like ill be starting my own thread about TBS in a few weeks

landon
Old 11/22/2004, 10:50 AM
Tang? What Tang!

They need to make a TBS forum LOL
Old 11/22/2004, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Congrats on your tank. You be very pleased with TBS. I've used them in the past... Wish I had a teacher like you back in the day
Old 11/22/2004, 12:55 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Any news on the second package. Coming this week?
Old 11/22/2004, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
They need to make a TBS forum LOL
there is in the vendor section of this site
Old 11/22/2004, 05:02 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
you prolly have a good chance at finding all kinds of good rock! when i went to naples on my honeymoon a few months back, every store had awesome FL rock. by the time it gets sent up the coast to me or around the horn to TX, it has a bunch of die off. i say a bunch of die off from exp. the LFS near me claims that his rock comes straight from the gulf.....well its white or amminia infested. i spoke with mary from TBS this morning and it looks like ill be starting my own thread about TBS in a few weeks

landon
Great!!! I know you will love it! Did she say anything about how much diving they have been able to do or how much rock they have right now?
Old 11/22/2004, 05:03 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Any news on the second package. Coming this week?
No news Hopefully it will come this week as I have the entire week off for our fall break. If it does not come, no big deal, I can wait!
Old 11/22/2004, 05:42 PM
Robotic Overlord

1 month today!!

Today is exactly one month, it was October 22nd that I picked up the first portion of the package and placed it into the tank. In looking back, I would have done absolutely nothing differently. I had almost 0 die off and no ammonia spike. The rock is beautiful and full of life, every day I see something new!!

I think I made a lot of good choices, from the equipment, to the choice to go with TBS rock. Hopefully I continue to make wise choices in the future. I added up the total cost so far and it was sobering, over $1,300 spent!!!! The cost has been well worth it and spread out over a long period of time. I actually bought the glass tank a year ago and bought much of the smaller equipment such as the power heads and heater last Christmas with gift certificates from That Fish Place which I begged my friends and family for!

If there were anything I would do differently it would be that I would have bought an RO/DI unit from the start. Currently I am using distilled water bought from Wal-Mart. Three gallons cost $1.50. Not bad, especially when maintaining a small 40 gallon tank and a 29 gallon FO, but I also now have a 75 gallon FO tank (more on that later). I will buy myself an RO/DI unit off of Ebay after Christmas.

The students love the tank, especially all the crabs and snails. They keep asking me when I am going to put fish in, I keep telling them after Christmas! I cannot wait to use this system for teaching ecosystems and symbiosis. I will have to get an anemone for that! A reef tank is perfect for teaching all of the aspects of ecosystems as they are minature ecosystems, far moreso than a freshwater tank!

Water parameters today:
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.3
SG: 1.025
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
PO4: 0.1

The giant decorator crab has not been coming out and has been hiding inside his large rock, I wonder if he is getting ready to molt. I fed the cup corals and the brain today, all of which are growing and looking really good!

I would like to have a cool one-month anniversary picture to post, but I do not. I forgot the camera! I have to go in tomorrow morning so I will take a picture or two tomorrow!

I bought a 75-gallon FOWLR system from a friend and we moved it into the classroom today, which was an adventure. It went far smoother than I thought. I bought a 35 gallon trashcan and pre-mixed about 30 gallons of water on Saturday. Today we took our band directors van with the seats removed over to get the tank. We drained as much water from the tank into two ice chests and a couple of 5 gallon buckets and loaded everything into the van. We placed the fish (a lion, a panther grouper, and a Clarkii clown) into one of the buckets and headed back to schoool (aboout 30 miles).

Everything went smoothly setting up the tank. We moved the stand into the room, then placed the tank on it, pumped in the 30 gallons of fresh saltwater and then added about 30 gallons of the old water, setup the pumps and filters, turned on the heater and I floated the fish while waiting for the water to come back up to temp. After the water cleared and the temp was good I released the fish. All seem to be doing fine, especially the Clarkii clown which is huge, however, the panther grouper did not look to be doing well. I will go in tomorrow morning to check and do some serious cleanup of the classroom which is a total wreck right now!

I think I got a pretty good deal, for $450.00 I got the tank, stand, 3 power heads, heater, 100 pounds of live sand, 50+ pounds of live rock, 1 Clarkii clown, 1 lionfish, 1 panther grouper, a bunch of hermits, a sand sifting star and the filters. I do know that the tank is overstocked if the fish were full-size!
Old 11/22/2004, 05:43 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
DW, on that first shipment they sent you around 40lbs of rock. How many peices was that and how big on average. I tried looking at your past pics, looked around 8 peices cant really tell the size though
I have five pieces which range in size from a small, fist sized chuck to a volleyball sized rock whcih is almost totally hollow.
Old 11/23/2004, 07:12 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Thanks for the information on the rock DW. Planning this 37g I dont have a lot of room. Only 12.5 wide, but I should be able to scape nicely being 22 tall and 30 in length. Cant wait to see yours when you get your scaped out.
Old 11/23/2004, 07:15 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Oh, I almost forgot. Does anyone know why I get an e-mail everytime someone post in this thread? I have my e-mail turned off, and it only happens in this thread, I subscribe to others and it dont happen in theirs? Any help would be great, thanks
Old 11/23/2004, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
Great!!! I know you will love it! Did she say anything about how much diving they have been able to do or how much rock they have right now?
she said they had just about enough rock to fill all the orders and they were going to be able to get out more, and catch up all the orders. she said (weather pending of course) if i order in the next few weeks, i shouldnt have a problem getting my stuff right away.

hope thats good news for you. i cant wait to see the second half.

landon
Old 11/23/2004, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Re: 1 month today!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
I cannot wait to use this system for teaching ecosystems and symbiosis. I will have to get an anemone for that! A reef tank is perfect for teaching all of the aspects of ecosystems as they are minature ecosystems, far moreso than a freshwater tank!
i love the miniature ecosystem! thats how i got started into SW. i like setting up self sustaining habitats for fish and frogs. the water section of the paludarium is filtered by the plants. among the plants i grow all sorts of mites and micro-bugs, which are in turn food for the smaller frogs and larger bugs. the larger bugs are food for the larger frogs.......

its not as cool or diverse as the reef though. on the symbiosis thing, you should try a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. i have tiger pistol and a yellow watchman goby, and i cannot believe the level of communication between those guys. its pretty amazing to witness.

landon
Old 11/27/2004, 09:02 AM
Robotic Overlord

It is on its way!!!

I got an email and then a call from TBS today. They are shipping out the second half today!!!! Yipppeeee!!!

I do not have my camera here at school today but I will try and find one!
Old 11/27/2004, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

you better go find a camera mister!!

j/k im as anxious as you are.

WWOOOOOHOOO!!!

landon
Old 11/27/2004, 09:48 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
you better go find a camera mister!!

j/k im as anxious as you are.

WWOOOOOHOOO!!!

landon
I think I can get one from our media center (a.k.a the library). I am the proud owner of a master key for the school

I finally found the big crab today, he has gotten HUGE!!! He molted as I found his skin lying in a rock but could not find him. He has become gigantic, at least 2-3 inches across minumum (including legs). At least he is an algae eating machine!

Still hear clicks, still cant find anything.

Last edited by dwculp; 11/27/2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11/27/2004, 10:05 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Once you put those snails in there you will find the clicking, then you can that little sh&#.

Caint wait to hear how the second package looks, let us know how many rocks and size if you remember. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving DW
Old 11/27/2004, 10:29 AM
My Kung Fu is strong!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!! you have all of us living vicariously thru you and you don't have a camera..... that library better have one teach.
waiting anxiously
Old 11/27/2004, 06:34 PM
Robotic Overlord

Its here!!!

I picked up the second half two hours ago and got it here about an hour and a half ago. The rock is in the tank but I am still moving stuff around and I am acclimating the animals!

So far, I have counted at least 3 brain coral hitchhikers along with a billion things I cannot ID!!!

I got my camera and will post pics late tonight or tomorrow!

Richard, thanks a million for all the extras!!! I, and the kids will love them!!
Old 11/27/2004, 07:00 PM
Robotic Overlord

And now for some pictures

Here are some rough pictures to start off with. Once everything is acclimated and settled in I will get some better pics!

The tank with all that rock:

From the top:

Drip acclimating bucket one. I do not know what kind of fish that is, but I sure appreciate it!

The second drip bucket:

Blurry picture of the anemones in their bag:

Ok, how about some pics of the 75 gallon we moved in here last week:

And some of its inhabitants. I will be getting rid of the Panther Grouper.

Old 11/27/2004, 07:19 PM
Robotic Overlord

Would you put this back into your tank

Thought everyone might be interested in this. This is a weeks worth of skimmate from my CPR Bak-Pak 2 in a 1 litter flask. I always see posts "Do I need a skimmer". Well, if your willing to pour this back into your tank, then no, you dont need a skimmer.

Old 11/27/2004, 08:05 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

wow! keep em coming
Old 11/27/2004, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

I can't lurk any longer!! I really love this forum and have learned much over the past few weeks. Thanks all!!

Here is my TBS Hitchhiker. I've had him for a little over a month. His body is about the size of a radish, across his legs, he measures about 3 1/2". He's tiny but growing fast! Unfortunatly, he's coming out and moving to a new residence at my LFS. He's totally nocturnal, eats hermit crabs like popcorn and is totally reef UNfriendly!! A few nights ago he tore off one of my attached clams, smashed the shell and ate it. The clam was about 3 times his size.

I've been very happy with TBS. I live close enough to visit and pick out my own LR which is fantastic. Lots of other interesting hitchhikers besides the octo as well