Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

ahh crap

The pump i was looking at using is rated for 1500
Old 12/10/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

just use pumps?

It seems the most difficult part of these designs (whether DIY or manufactured) is creating a single device that can both suck and purge reliably...why not just hook a pair of closed-loop little giant pumps to a dual wavemaker power center, set the returns at opposing ends of the tank, and dial the timing in so they turn on and off exactly as the surge reaches the other side of the tank (longer tank = longer time between surges)?

If you prefer a wider surge, then just spread the flow over several horizontal outlets...or even across a square matrix of returns (like a checkerboard).

With this system you can adjust exactly the placement and power of the surge...no belts, boxes, obtrusive sounds, or headaches.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

http://www.fragglereef.com/zen/index...oducts_id=2874

Its DC. Anyone wanna try?
Old 12/16/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Man thats loud Rusty, not sure thats a practical use for a saltwater tank
Old 12/19/2007, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

I've been looking at this and the swirler stein thread and had an idea.

What about making the front of the wavebox round, match the mjmod housing to the curvature and put the mj on a swirler with a 90degree path(or more), cut a hole out at the halfway mark and bam, you've got open/close time. Change the timing by the speed of the swirler. Or you could cut a hole at 0 degrees and 90 degrees, might produce some interesting flow charateristics.

You would have to figure out the curvature of the front panel based on the arc of the swirler so that it would tightly hold up to it, as well as possably a ball and socket to the back of the base so that it wouldn't push away while being in the "closed" position.

Make sense?
Old 12/28/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung

BTW I plan to use my modded 6055 (max 2900 gph) to do a wavebox soon.
any updates..?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Do RC motors for Boats have potential ( the Brushless ones ) the current is doable the only thing I'm worried about is the life.

I plan on direct driving a propeller with a long shaft and the motor mounted above the box and out of the water. It wont even have to run reverse but it would feel slight back pressure.

Thoughts

Dan
Old 01/04/2008, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Very nice!
Old 01/04/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

That might not be that bad of an idea. I just wonder how the motor would handle the on/off.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:38 PM
Abba-Zaba!

check out this wave maker http://youtube.com/watch?v=RHB7uGzdj28&feature=related

Old 01/04/2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

The brushless motor would be fine with the cycles. They have no wear parts.

Last I was into RC those motors and controllers were expensive. It might be more cost effective to go with the tunze 6055 or similar.

BTW I did some diy'ing and came up with something of interest but havent perfected it so I'm not telling just yet. Here is a teaser. It is not a modded maxijet or tunze and cost less than $50! =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JiFR-H3Sw
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics

Last edited by tkeracer619; 01/04/2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

ROFL "sometimes we use them in on a different part of the body"

........... you know, "In kids socks"
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 01/05/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Would a regular style powerhead work, or does it need to be that style where its open and more of a fan design than a turbo design? I'd think any style would work as long as the water can reverse flow fast enough in it, but I have no experience with wave boxes. I'm thinking Ill make an external one mounted behind the aquarium with the inlet/outlet leading around to the side of the tank for proper wave formation.

One other question I had was what do you use to time the pump so its only on for a second and then off for a second in a continuous cycle? Would the float switch idea be better than the timed method?
Old 01/05/2008, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

A regular power head will not give the gph flow that you will need to create a good wave. Go back a few pages and alot has been covered on the pumps and timers.
Jeff
Old 01/05/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Someone with some crazy DIY skills could design a motor that turns that drives a piston up and down with a pipe connected to the aquarium sucking water in and pushing it out the cylinder would have to be water tight yet have to moved up and down.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

How do you think this would work out? I would imagine the plumbing would have to be pretty large to allow the siphon to refill the wavebox fast enough. I'd think around 1.5" or 2", but it would keep the wavebox out of the tank as well as allow it to be out of the tank without drilling for those who already have established tanks that don't want it mounted inside the display. Thoughts?
Old 01/06/2008, 03:07 PM
Brighter the better

Quote:
Originally posted by tcmfish
Someone with some crazy DIY skills could design a motor that turns that drives a piston up and down with a pipe connected to the aquarium sucking water in and pushing it out the cylinder would have to be water tight yet have to moved up and down.
sounds like a wave 2k to me
Old 01/07/2008, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

ive heard bad things about the wave 2k's, mostly that they are loud..wich to me = annoying.

Anyone come up with a practical way to control the MJ mod??
chavet timers? what model? anything else??
Old 01/10/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

i used the chauvet timer but the ecomod i was using only lasted like 24 hours. the blades broke off the shaft of the propeller and the rubber on the end of the shafts melted away from the start stop, which caused there to be no stop. after they melted, sometimes the pump would start in reverse and not be stopped, which would cause the box to fill with water and overflow the top.

on a good note, the timer was perfect for it. no mods at all. just had to dial in the freq.
but the ecomod couldn't handle it.

the thing was amazing for abotu 24 hours...but then nothing.

I was planning on trying other pumps and everything, but i'm a college student and don't have the funds to be buying and testing pumps. if someone else has a pump that could handle it please let me know!
keith
Old 01/11/2008, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
The brushless motor would be fine with the cycles. They have no wear parts.

Last I was into RC those motors and controllers were expensive. It might be more cost effective to go with the tunze 6055 or similar.

BTW I did some diy'ing and came up with something of interest but havent perfected it so I'm not telling just yet. Here is a teaser. It is not a modded maxijet or tunze and cost less than $50! =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JiFR-H3Sw
Any details yet?