Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2006, 10:34 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...52#post8121252
Old 09/11/2006, 10:34 AM
Moved Onward

I would much rather see either Auburn/LSU go undefeated and play USC for the title than seeing Ohio St in it. I think OSU is the most overrated team in the nation and gotta thank ND for that one because of last year's bowl game.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 09/11/2006, 10:37 AM
Moved Onward

It doesn't surprise me the same fools that dropped ND to 4 last week easily jumped right on the band wagon and put them back at #2. Hopefully they stay there or #1 when they play USC down the road. Hopefully some sorry Big 10 school will play their heart out and knock off that overrated OSU team but I just don't see it.

We should have much better games this weekend as I found this past weekend games very lackluster! Especially with that over-hyped #1 vs #2. BAHHHHHHH!

USC/Nebraska
Michigan/Notre Dame
LSU/Auburn
Oklahoma/Oregon
Tennessee/Florida
Miami/Louisville
Florida St/Clemson

Old 09/11/2006, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Old Yeller

How can you say Ohio State is overrated? Where would you have them raked?.
Old 09/11/2006, 12:04 PM
But what do I know?

Quote:
So if 6th/7th ranked team beats the 3rd/4th (depending on which poll you prefer) ranked team they should jump to "at least" no. 2. That sounds like you feel they should jump up to no. 1.

Gotta love it when an Alabama geologist tries to do mathmatics.
I am saying that because whichever team that come away with a win in that game will have beaten a quality opponent, unlike all the other schools at the top of the rankings.

Gotta luv it when a TN engineer tries to follow comon sense.
Old 09/11/2006, 12:08 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
I would much rather see either Auburn/LSU go undefeated and play USC for the title than seeing Ohio St in it. I think OSU is the most overrated team in the nation and gotta thank ND for that one because of last year's bowl game.

Like it or not, OSU is the best team this year. USC wouldn't stand a chance against them.
If the NCAA football had some kind of tourney like basketball it would open up everything.
Old 09/11/2006, 12:28 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by routman
Old Yeller

How can you say Ohio State is overrated? Where would you have them raked?.
#4 or #5 but I guess being ranked in the top 5 wouldn't be considered overrated. They just don't look like a #1 team to me. I still think last year's team was better but they didn't get those breaks that propel a team to being undefeated.
USC had it last year against Notre Dame and I feel Texas had it bounce their way against OSU last year as it seemed like OSU had that game wrapped up.

Old 09/11/2006, 12:31 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by cward
Like it or not, OSU is the best team this year. USC wouldn't stand a chance against them.
If the NCAA football had some kind of tourney like basketball it would open up everything.
If USC could stay undefeated with this whole new offense of theirs, we will find out in the title game.
If their was a tourney, everybody will have a chance as long as they get hot at the end of the season.

Old 09/11/2006, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
#4 or #5 but I guess being ranked in the top 5 wouldn't be considered overrated. They just don't look like a #1 team to me. I still think last year's team was better but they didn't get those breaks that propel a team to being undefeated.
USC had it last year against Notre Dame and I feel Texas had it bounce their way against OSU last year as it seemed like OSU had that game wrapped up.

I guess I should learn how to spell ranked!

I would agree this seems to be a down year for a truly dominating team but looking around I still think OSU should be number 1. Too many players are going to the NFL and if they’re not careful it's going to be a problem, just like college basketball.

It's a long season and very hard to go undefeated, but I love to see OSU VS UCS for the championship. Time will tell.

Dave
Old 09/11/2006, 01:29 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

You have SC ranked 2 in the coaches poll and 4 in the AP. If they go undefeated they will have to beat ND which is 2 AP and 3 coaches poll. Aint no way they don't go to the big game if that happens, assuming ND goes into the SC game undefeated. Auburn is only one point above them in the AP poll and that is most likely cause SC was idle this week.
Old 09/11/2006, 02:18 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You have SC ranked 2 in the coaches poll and 4 in the AP. If they go undefeated they will have to beat ND which is 2 AP and 3 coaches poll. Aint no way they don't go to the big game if that happens, assuming ND goes into the SC game undefeated. Auburn is only one point above them in the AP poll and that is most likely cause SC was idle this week.

IF it's a 3-way, undefeated group....the strength of schedule scoring is most likely to go in Auburn's favor because of the SEC title game. Minus that game, Auburn and USC would likely be a near tie and USC leap frogging Auburn in the AP is definitely not a given should they defeat ND. A lot of it will depend on how well USC, Auburn, and ND are playing.

All that said, it's shaping up to be a great year for college football. Several extremely good teams and several extremely dangerous teams. I can see several teams with strong contention as well.

Saturday's series of games should be quite enlightening.
Old 09/11/2006, 02:27 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Old Yeller, air force has a very good running game and that is why the game was close, tenn is a very good team, but the dogs are better and will be sec champs again this year.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/11/2006, 05:40 PM
Here comes the Gators

Ohhh please guys. First of all, how am I living in the past. Alabama suprised everyone last year. I think they got to number 4 seed and thats pretty good especially when your in the SEC. Regardless. Gators are taking it all.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/11/2006, 05:43 PM

If the gators win every game there is, there is no doubt they will be in the championship game, with the schedule they have, they will be #1, thats if they do not loose, but they will.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/11/2006, 06:07 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

You people are on glue. If the gators OSU and ND win out it is OSU and ND in the game. If OSU is undefeated and SC is the only team to beat ND then it is OSU and SC.

Could be a moot point after this weekend. SC has to get past Nebraska and Auburn has LSU. two upsets will change things dramatically
Old 09/11/2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
You people are on glue. If the gators OSU and ND win out it is OSU and ND in the game. If OSU is undefeated and SC is the only team to beat ND then it is OSU and SC.

Could be a moot point after this weekend. SC has to get past Nebraska and Auburn has LSU. two upsets will change things dramatically
You can not be serious. I will answer myself and say you are not.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/11/2006, 07:04 PM
But what do I know?

Unfortunately I believe Grim is right. If a team comes out of the SEC undefeated, along with OSU and ND, the SEC will get the shaft once again. Even though the SEC winner would deserve it more, money will be what chooses the match-up, not the best team.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 09/11/2006, 07:05 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:

Your kidding me right? Grim, I admire your knowledge about lighting but you ain't to bright about football eh? Maybe you need some individual reflectors to brighten you up.

Anyways on a serious note, the SEC is by far the toughest conference out there. You can put USC, ND or OSU in the SEC and they will atleast lose one game.

If UF goes undefeated overall, there is no way in heck that they not going to the championship bowl. They would just be too good not to go. Same thing with anyother top notch SEC team too.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/11/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Just like Auburn getting shut out?

LSU and USC with the co-championship?

Even if the SEC is the toughest to get through unscathed, that doesn't mean they get put into the game. It's all about the money.
Old 09/11/2006, 08:39 PM

Come on guys all about the money, give me a break. We will find out at the end, when an sec team claims the title once again. It is not about money and thats why so many people prefer to watch college ball instead of the nfl b/c the nfl is all about money while college is not.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/11/2006, 09:02 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecarpet
It is not about money and thats why so many people prefer to watch college ball instead of the nfl b/c the nfl is all about money while college is not.
Thats a good point.

That Auburn game and Wisconsic game was a fluke. In fact, Wisonsin was practicing on my highschool football field when they were getting ready for Auburn. So I went to the game to see how it was going to be and Auburn played like crap. I have never seen them play so miserable before. Thats rare though.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/11/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Seriously, it is all about the money, at least in rankings and bowls. I'm betting the voters would rather have an OSU-ND rematch of two "high-powered offenses" in the same stadium as last year than OSU-SEC or ND-SEC, just because there's a storyline. It just has a lot of draw. Why do you think Auburn got shut out when they were also undefeated? USC-OU had the draw of two Heisman winners, two high-powered offenses. The voters/media/ESPN love having stories behind the matchups.
Old 09/11/2006, 09:13 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I'm gonna have to agree with Grimm on that one. It looks like ND's got just enough kickers in their schedule to hold off any of the SEC teams IF they can go undefeated. (Overtaking a team who's ranked no. 2 in BOTH polls is pretty tough with strength of schedule and ND would be almost certain to get the no. 2 ranking in both if they win out.)

HOWEVER.....all this depends on where those teams finish up since the BCS is determined by the final rating of the teams you've played instead of the ratings today or the ratings when you played them.

There's a lot of football left and some really hot matchups to come. This what if talking is getting pretty pointless as we can rest assured that the top 10 will get some serious reshuffling at least once and most likely twice before it's all over.

OSU is the only one I currently put down as a very likely candidate and they could easily stumble along the way.
Old 09/11/2006, 09:16 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by ECEKatko
[B]Seriously, it is all about the money, at least in rankings and bowls.

It used to be all about the money and it still is money driven outside of the BCS bowls. However, we now have a mathmatical equation that isn't perfect but is determined long before the season starts so it takes the money out of the equation unless you can find a way to give a kick back to each and every one of the pollsters in the TWO major polls.
Old 09/11/2006, 09:18 PM
Here comes the Gators

OSU has an easy schedule thats why they will stumble into the BCS. Any SEC team has to really work for it. ND is great but not quite the material of a champion.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!