Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

did you ever run away from home?

when you were a kid. you know, things weren't quite going your way and you got torqued at your parents for whatever reason and you decided to run away from home. how old were you and how far did you get?

i was 8 or 9 and my mom and dad would not let me get a horse. not even a pony. heck, i wasn't even allowed to have a dog. we had a cat. for like 2 weeks and then she had to go live on my cousin's farm. yeah, right! whatEVER!

i decided i had just had enough. my brother wouldn't let me play with his dump trucks and all my sister had was dolls and i hated dolls. i ask you, what red blooded american tomboy wants to play with dolls??

so, i told my parents i was leaving. my mom helped me pack a little bag. no kidding. it wasn't even really a bag, it was a bandana wrapped around my worldly possessions and tied to the end of a wooden broomstick. i was a hobo with 2 hershey bars and cowboy pajamas.

i started off down the street thinking they would come after me any second and beg me to come home. it didn't happen! i got like 2 blocks away before i got scared and ran home. of course, my dad was following me in the car, i just didn't know it. when i walked in the door, my mom said "oh, you're home already??" i said yeah only because i forgot something. i went to my room and pouted for a couple of hours and then i forgot why i wanted to run away so i stuck around for another 9 or 10 years.

now, i'm making up for all of the animals i never could have when i lived at home, in the middle of the city. first time my mom came to our place, she looked around at dogs, horses, stuff and said to gary "nina's really in her element, isn't she?" gary just laughed.
Old 08/17/2006, 04:10 PM
i'm here for you two

LOL nina that's funny,

i'm sure i've tried once to run away i'll have to remember why and how.

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 08/17/2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

yepppers... took a bunch of cash from my mommmy's purse, went down the street a few blocks to the laundromat... They had this machine thingy majigger, mabobber, hickey madoooey, that when you put money in it, it would make you shake... Sooo, the officer in the boro, strolled in and took me home... I really don't remember much of it, as I was only 4-5 yrs. old...

Christy ...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 08/17/2006, 04:15 PM
in the bathtub

I never ran away, or even considered it for that matter. My brother did once though. He slide out the bedroom window one night but was back within an hour. I never woke up and didn't even know he had left until he told me the next day.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 08/17/2006, 04:27 PM
Reefer

Re: did you ever run away from home?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
i was 8 or 9 and my mom and dad would not let me get a horse. not even a pony. heck, i wasn't even allowed to have a dog. we had a cat.
Why you ungrateful little...
Old 08/17/2006, 04:35 PM
Team RC Member

Aged 6: myself and my best friend took our bikes and rode off to go to the mountains---about 10 miles. We got about 2 miles on a hot day and had eaten our peanut butter sandwiches before we reached the local soda fountain, realized we'd forgotten money, begged two glasses of ice water, and realized it was getting late. We had about time enough to ride back home and catch "The Lone Ranger" on radio.
Neither set of parents had missed us. It was pretty disconcerting. We held out the possibility of doing it with money this time, but realized we'd better have matches, too, and some fishing line, and it just got too complicated if we were going to have to survive in the wilderness with no radio.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/17/2006, 04:47 PM
Rubberman

Last Saurday night.

SteveU
Old 08/17/2006, 05:11 PM
Have A Great Day! :)

I was thinking about running away from home!
Old 08/17/2006, 05:44 PM
Moved In

LOL, I doubt my parents would have noticed! I did however run away when I was in high school. Hitchiked to Ca. with my boyfriend. Was gone 3-4 months.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/17/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Debi, you're bad!!!

I wish I could have done that.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/17/2006, 05:51 PM
Moved In

Yes I was!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/17/2006, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

can't really do that here. 21 miles of too many people.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 08/17/2006, 06:38 PM
Team RC Member

I haven't yet but if my parent's don't let me get a wavebox and a black tang I might.
Old 08/17/2006, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I did once,but it was only like a quarter mile away and there were gators near.But I was mad because my mom took my phone away.So I was going to see if making her think I got eaten by gators would make her give my ohone back.It didnt work,lol

If you only have one hand will second hand smoking affect you?
Old 08/17/2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I haven't yet but if my parent's don't let me get a wavebox and a black tang I might.
don't know about the wavebox but i'm with you on the black tang.
Old 08/17/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

While not actually running away from home, I did have a wicked stepmother and used to go camping for 2 - 3 days at a time during summer. Stayed at friend's houses a lot.

Finally, friend's parents were able to get in touch with mom through grandmother and I left S.C. in 1969. Stepmom knew I was leaving because I got ready for school and had this large garbage bag with every thing I owned in it.
Old 08/17/2006, 07:18 PM
Moved out

Oh thats hilarious Nina! I could just picture the little hobo girl walking down the street. They should have taken pictures.

I ran away from home for about 20 minutes when I was about 8 I think. I can't remember why but I'm sure my parents wronged me somehow I atleast had an old suitcase that I packed all my essentials:
1) Football pads
2) Superman Underwear
3) A whole bag of oreo's

I walked down the street with my suitcase and my football helmet on and then it occurred to me I had no where to go. I then went back home and sucked it up for another 15 years.

Chris
Old 08/17/2006, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

My oldest threatened to run away from home when he was 5 and started packing his toys. I said

"OH NOOOO, you came naked, you're leaving naked!"

He decided it was too cold out and stayed.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/17/2006, 08:02 PM
forever newbie

My son was 5 when he said he was leaving home. I can't remember why he was leaving. I doubt he would remember either.
I told him that was fine, he could leave if he wanted but first how about you and I make a batch of chocolate chip cookies to take with you? We made the cookies and he stayed. lol
Old 08/17/2006, 10:06 PM
All will be well.

They FORCED me to run away when I was 24. What a huge fridge they had; I get emotional thinking about it.
Old 08/17/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Never ran away but I slept overnight in a tree!!

Dont recommend sleeping in an oak tree.
Old 08/17/2006, 10:57 PM
Reefer

What would be a better tree to sleep in?
Old 08/18/2006, 07:40 AM
Take a number

I tried to run away once. I don't remember why... I told my mom that I was leaving and she helped me pack.

At the time, I thought that by helping me run away, she was the worst mother on the planet. I thought that moms were supposed to STOP you from running away!

Well, when the suitcase was all packed, it was all I could do to lift the darn thing! I couldn't even get it to the end of the driveway! I figured that since my mom packed everything for me, there was no way that I'd be able to live withought it, so I left it where it was and ran crying to my room.

My dad retrieved the suitecase and unpacked it for my while i cried on my bed. It was then that he explained to me that mom purposly packed it so full that I couldn't carry it, so that I would not leave.

Darn mom and her mulipative ways!

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 08/18/2006, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kfisc
They FORCED me to run away when I was 24. What a huge fridge they had; I get emotional thinking about it.
Yeah, me too, my parents kept packing my bags for me. I just didn't get the hint. Now, in hind sight, it makes perfect sense. And talk about abandonment issues, they actually encouraged me to become a lawyer!

Funny thing is, sometimes I catch Mrs. Guano talking to my mom on the phone and saying stuff like,"How did you finally get him to leave?" It's all just a little too disconcerting.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 08/18/2006, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

closer...

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.