Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2006, 03:05 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecarpet
Hopefully the DAWGS will ruin the chance of FLA going to the big game. Now that would be a nice piece of pay back.
YOu should be worried about beating Kentucky...you have no chance agaisnt FLA.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 03:09 PM
living life 2 the fullest

FLA said that last year about bama and usc but who won those games? I have found out this past weekend nothing is a given in SEC football. And the fla and GA game is a toss up, and so is the GA Auburn game, as well as the fla and Auburn game. Nothing is a given. Period. WOOF WOOF WOOF, SICK EM.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 03:25 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Florida has just begun a long hard October and there are no garauntees. If all things were equal, they'd be well favored but all things are not equal and they've got a steep hill to climb.

Even if they make it through the SEC schedule, they've got to play FSU in a massive grudge match and the SEC championship game.

I think USC has a better chance of winning out then Florida, and I'm not too confident in USC's level of discipline at the moment. (They're playing more like Tennessee championship contenders of years gone by then USC contenders of years gone by.)

Michigan-OSU is looking more n more likely to me these days, but I'm pulling for Florida (which ails me to no end.)
Old 10/08/2006, 04:20 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
FLA said that last year about bama and usc but who won those games? I have found out this past weekend nothing is a given in SEC football. And the fla and GA game is a toss up, and so is the GA Auburn game, as well as the fla and Auburn game. Nothing is a given. Period. WOOF WOOF WOOF, SICK EM.

Wow...you still havn't learned have you?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 04:21 PM
Here comes the Gators

The tossup game is the Georgia vs. Kentucky game. Seriously.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 04:32 PM

We will just have to wait and see.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
The tossup game is the Georgia vs. Kentucky game. Seriously.
We will have to wait and see.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 06:16 PM
Like my pet shark?

I was just thinking about something today... If Ohio State and Michigan win out, it could be possible that we would see a #1 vs. #2 matchup, especially since the game is at the end of the season. After Ohio State beats them, we would all see another #1 vs. #2 matchup for the championship. That would be 3 #1 vs. #2 for Ohio State in one season. Has that ever happened in college footbal?
Old 10/08/2006, 06:39 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by needyreefer
I was just thinking about something today... If Ohio State and Michigan win out, it could be possible that we would see a #1 vs. #2 matchup, especially since the game is at the end of the season. After Ohio State beats them, we would all see another #1 vs. #2 matchup for the championship. That would be 3 #1 vs. #2 for Ohio State in one season. Has that ever happened in college footbal?
I am not to sure about OSU beating UM. Its going to be close this year for both teams. Say if UM beats OSU. Florida will be number one and UM will be number two. That would be also a good game.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 06:50 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
We will have to wait and see.
Dude I can't believe your confidence in Georgia is already back. Tennesee put a whooping on your pups and your already saying they might be SEC champs. HAHA. A True Georgia fan would at least admit that they have no chance.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

55 If UM beats OSU they would be #1.
Old 10/08/2006, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Every year between OSU-UM is an if for either team. When we had Cooper, UM was almost guaranteed a win. Tressel has had Carr figured out in recent years, but that doesn't make us unbeatable. I don't think that has ever happened, 3 1v2 matches with one team in a season, at least not in recent memory. Possible in years gone by. Any of the following teams could make a great matchup: OSU, UM, FLA, USC/Cal, WVU, Louisville (I'd prefer OSU/UM FLA).

Mutt:
I forget who said it on this thread, but someone mentioned that one team can be obviously better than another and still lose. A lot of people still say that had USC and UT played 10 times last year, USC would've won the other 9. I don't agree, but it is a point. A no. 1 playing a lowly rival could lose, but that doesn't make them a worse team. Similarly, if an unranked team beats a top 5, that doesn't make them a better team and a better representative of the conference in a bowl, it just means they were better/luckier on that day. I'm a big fan of playing as many tough teams as possible, but I don't like the champ game. I don't see how the champ game is any better than just playing the other teams head to head. At times you'll have 2 teams not play, like in the B10, that end up unbeaten in conference play, but tough non-con games can determine who's better. I would prefer a playoff over everything.

The rug won't lose conference till Georgia loses all the other games and doesn't go to a bowl. Otherwise, he'll still believe in him. I remember a few splits back we discussed the definition of delusional...
Old 10/08/2006, 07:20 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by ECEKatko
Every year between OSU-UM is an if for either team. When we had Cooper, UM was almost guaranteed a win. Tressel has had Carr figured out in recent years, but that doesn't make us unbeatable. I don't think that has ever happened, 3 1v2 matches with one team in a season, at least not in recent memory. Possible in years gone by. Any of the following teams could make a great matchup: OSU, UM, FLA, USC/Cal, WVU, Louisville (I'd prefer OSU/UM FLA).

Mutt:
I forget who said it on this thread, but someone mentioned that one team can be obviously better than another and still lose. A lot of people still say that had USC and UT played 10 times last year, USC would've won the other 9. I don't agree, but it is a point. A no. 1 playing a lowly rival could lose, but that doesn't make them a worse team. Similarly, if an unranked team beats a top 5, that doesn't make them a better team and a better representative of the conference in a bowl, it just means they were better/luckier on that day. I'm a big fan of playing as many tough teams as possible, but I don't like the champ game. I don't see how the champ game is any better than just playing the other teams head to head. At times you'll have 2 teams not play, like in the B10, that end up unbeaten in conference play, but tough non-con games can determine who's better. I would prefer a playoff over everything.

The rug won't lose conference till Georgia loses all the other games and doesn't go to a bowl. Otherwise, he'll still believe in him. I remember a few splits back we discussed the definition of delusional...

Quote:
I forget who said it on this thread, but someone mentioned that one team can be obviously better than another and still lose.
That was me that said it. I was using Georgia and FLA as examples. FLA clearly is the better team of the two but upsets can still happen. Just because Arkansas beat Auburn doesn't make Arkansas the better team.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
That was me that said it. I was using Georgia and FLA as examples. FLA clearly is the better team of the two but upsets can still happen. Just because Arkansas beat Auburn doesn't make Arkansas the better team.
It makes them the better team for that day.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Dude I can't believe your confidence in Georgia is already back. Tennesee put a whooping on your pups and your already saying they might be SEC champs. HAHA. A True Georgia fan would at least admit that they have no chance.
I always have confidence in Georgia and any true fan would have confidence in them. I will always love Georgia no matter what, and i am not a band wagon jumper, not saying that you are, just a lot of people are.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

So, who all's going to a BCS game this year?
SEC - FLA
ACC - Does it really matter? Pick one...how about...Georgia Tech
Big Easy - WVU They may be overrated, but they only have one game and I think they will get it done
B10 - OSU/UM, the other gets an at large
PAC10 - USC/Cal, the other gets an at large
B12 - Texas
At large - ND, USC/Cal, OSU/UM, Louisville/loser of SEC game depending on scores of SEC and Louisville/WVU
Old 10/08/2006, 08:18 PM

SEC- hope the bulldogs, but probably florida.
ACC- GT
PAC10- USC
B12-Texas
National Champs-Michigan

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 08:21 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
SEC- hope the bulldogs, but probably florida.
ACC- GT
PAC10- USC
B12-Texas
National Champs-Michigan
If FLA goes undefeated for the rest of the year, they will beat either OSU or UM. I am pretty sure of that.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
If FLA goes undefeated for the rest of the year, they will beat either OSU or UM. I am pretty sure of that.
Nothing is for pretty sure in this game, thats why they play the game. Auburn was for more than sure they would beat ARK, but did they? No. I was pretty sure after the first half Georgia would cruise by Tenn, but did we? No. Nothing is for sure in this game. But Michigan will be hard pushed to beat this year. Hopefully they will win it all for my own reasons that i have. Dont ask about my reasons please.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 10/08/2006, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

If either OSU or UM dominate the other, they should be the favorites in the NC, no matter who they play. I would love to see it as a 1v2 matchup, followed by the winner in a 1v2 NC. If FLA wins out, they deserve it probably, but OSU/UM will too.

Neither plays cake schedules. Similar teams - B10 conference play, big non-con game (ND and Texas). I don't care who you are, you have to have both OSU and UM in the top five with how they've played against everyone. Both have pretty high ranked schedules, efficient, powerful offenses, great scoring Ds, no-mistake special teams, deep running games and great receivers with veteran QB. The only huge difference is that UM's D stops the run and doesn't give up yards, while OSU gives up yards but forces turnovers and is impossible in the red zone. Can't wait.
Old 10/08/2006, 09:04 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I got an interesting and quite possible SEC scenario for you.....

Let's say Auburn got caught looking past Arkansas and actually is as strong as they've looked the rest of the season. If they win out and hand Florida their only SEC loss in scheduled play, we'll see a Florida-Auburn rematch for the SEC title game.

Both would probably be out of the running for the national title game, but the SEC championship would be the grudge match from he11 and possibly the best game of the entire year.
Old 10/08/2006, 09:05 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Nothing is for pretty sure in this game, thats why they play the game. Auburn was for more than sure they would beat ARK, but did they? No. I was pretty sure after the first half Georgia would cruise by Tenn, but did we? No. Nothing is for sure in this game. But Michigan will be hard pushed to beat this year. Hopefully they will win it all for my own reasons that i have. Dont ask about my reasons please.
I don't care about your reasons or reasoning.

Arkansas suprised Auburn. Thats why they won. If Auburn played Arkansas 10 out of 10, Auburn would probably win 8 of 10.

Just like last year with Bama vs Florida. Florida got the hit first and was shocked by them.

A NC is no shocker. Both teams know that its going to be a hard fought game. BOTH TEAMS are PRETTY sure that it will be tough for both of them.

Nice examples carpet.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Mutt - what if Arkansas wins out in the SEC? Not likely, but possible. Auburn doesn't exactly control their own destiny for the SEC game, which probably knocks them out of the NC picture. If you have to count on another team to lose to get into your conference championship, you probably shouldn't be 1 or 2 in the country.
Old 10/08/2006, 09:11 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by ECEKatko
Mutt - what if Arkansas wins out in the SEC? Not likely, but possible. Auburn doesn't exactly control their own destiny for the SEC game, which probably knocks them out of the NC picture. If you have to count on another team to lose to get into your conference championship, you probably shouldn't be 1 or 2 in the country.
I think you missed the point.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 10/08/2006, 09:17 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Good point, I hadn't really considered that but Arkansas must loose 2 SEC games to put Auburn back in the drivers seat. Their remaining schedule includes a back to back run against South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi State, and LSU.

I expect them to loose 3 of those 4 games, but they control their destiny.

Quote:
If you have to count on another team to lose to get into your conference championship, you probably shouldn't be 1 or 2 in the country.
Given recent history, you shouldn't be ranked 1 or 2 in the country after you've lost ONE game. The top two slots have become a place for the undefeateds and I don't think this year is going to be any different then years past.

On the off chance that we only have 1 undefeated, I don't see why a team who plays in a conference with a title game should be somehow penalized against those who don't have to prove it on the field to win their conference titles.