Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 11:13 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Will you be at MACNA this year? If so, stop by my booth and I'll hook you up with some different foods for your mandarin
Yeap. I'll be there. PM the booth number or name. Thanks!

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 09/11/2007, 11:17 PM
TRC Leader

Gresham is Reed-Mariculture / Reef Nutrition. Good people.
Old 09/11/2007, 11:19 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Mandarins and Wrasses eat the same food, so if you don't have any wrasses currently, I'm sure your mandarin will find plenty to eat in your reef.

Let me know how you like my site. I've been creating pages of the Austin tank tour, but they are not online until all the images have been processed. Just three more tanks to go.
No wrasses. Should be fine there.

I found the page on your site but it hasn't been updated since 2005. You still doing that?

I used to have a store a few hours from me (Reef & Fin, Stamford CT now closed) that had massive sized mandarins. Four or five inches long and perhaps 2 inches wide. They fed it whole mysis shrimp. It was unreal.

Old 09/11/2007, 11:24 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Gresham is Reed-Mariculture / Reef Nutrition. Good people.
Oh yeah... talked to them at IMAC last year. Forwarded their brochures to all the LFS I had around here.

Thanks Gresham. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Old 09/11/2007, 11:27 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by original-reefland
No wrasses. Should be fine there.

I found the page on your site but it hasn't been updated since 2005. You still doing that?

I used to have a store a few hours from me (Reef & Fin, Stamford CT now closed) that had massive sized mandarins. Four or five inches long and perhaps 2 inches wide. They fed it whole mysis shrimp. It was unreal.
That's awesome. You should have shot some video.

I pulled out the diner a couple of months ago. With the one I'm keeping, I don't think there is a lack of pods for her. She looks fat and happy.
Old 09/11/2007, 11:48 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
That's awesome. You should have shot some video.

I pulled out the diner a couple of months ago. With the one I'm keeping, I don't think there is a lack of pods for her. She looks fat and happy.
I'm pretty sure the shrimp I just added will be all over a diner if I try it and the Engineer Gobies will as well. I have to get some video of them, they are so cool. They are close to 10 inches long now.

Old 09/16/2007, 10:20 PM
Standpipe Guy

Just got back from MACNA. Made the drive home in about 6 hours, not bad. Picked up eight shirts. Didn't win anything in the raffle.. bummer.

The only livestock I picked up was a small female Bellus Angel (Genicanthus bellus). I found a picture on the net that looks very close, but mine has a bit more red in it:

http://www.pbase.com/clippo/image/54147781

Hopefully I'll get a picture posted of it shortly.

Old 09/16/2007, 10:26 PM
Standpipe Guy

Oh.. and a neat little freebie I picked up from Salifert booth is a refractometer test sample at 35 PSU (35 ppt). Now besides testing for zero against RO/DI water I can test to 35 PSU which is handy.

He also provided a Alkalinity Reference sample of 6.5 dKH to check a test kit against.

Old 09/16/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Rich, that was one nice looking Bellus Looked fat, healthy and curious.....and it was still in the bag in the middle of a trade show
Old 09/16/2007, 10:56 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Rich, that was one nice looking Bellus Looked fat, healthy and curious.....and it was still in the bag in the middle of a trade show
Thanks Gresham. Hope it does well.

Which reminds me I gotta says thanks to Dr. Mac for giving my bag a squirt of Oxygen for the trip home considering I didn't buy anything from him and he was busy packing up his display helping his customers.

Old 09/16/2007, 11:13 PM
TRC Leader

Rich, how many pictures did you bring home on your camera? It was really great meeting you after all these years.

And FYI, he's ACTUALLY a nice guy.
Old 09/17/2007, 12:54 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Rich, how many pictures did you bring home on your camera? It was really great meeting you after all these years.
It was nice meeting you too, sucks my voice gave out at the one time I get to talk to everyone. I got to see some hobbyist I haven't seen in 8 to 10 years. Just happened to bump into them. I even found Brian Griffin who used to own and operate "Reefers" which many years ago was "the" on-line store to order from before Premium, Marine Depot, etc. all become so popular. I even had one of his store shirts with me and wore it. A few people stopped me to comment on the shirt.

I'm not sure how many pictures I got. Not nearly as many as you did. I saw you getting up in just about every presentation to take some pictures of the speakers. I didn't bother, you got it covered.

Nothing really stood out as something I must take a picture of. For example, IMAC last year had that $500 "painted clam" which never sold. That monster Deltec skimmer was worth taking a picture of... wasn't that something around $9000 and it was sold!

I took pictures of various products I might attempt a DIY project on in the future. I need a bigger calcium reactor and better kalkwasser reactor. And I got some good ideas to try on my EuroReef RC-500 skimmer.

Quote:
And FYI, he's ACTUALLY a nice guy.
There you go spreading rumors again...

Old 09/17/2007, 03:54 PM
TRC Leader

That's it. I have to get that video of you processed ASAP.
Old 09/17/2007, 11:27 PM
Standpipe Guy

The Bellus took a bit of a beating when I first introduced it. With all the lights out except the moon light LEDs, even the percula clowns and pajama cardinal were chasing it -- these guy never bother anything.

The two tangs were playing ping-pong with it and the Lamarck was trying to hit a home run. The Bellus was trying to be submissive and showing its belly but it didn't help much. No physical damage to it that I can see.

I tried feeding the tank a few times to give it a chance to find a hiding spot but they still went after him. About 10 hours later they seem to start giving him some peace. The Bellus is now staying toward the top of the tank in stronger current towards the front. Overall being ignored now. It moves in and out of the Acropora branches now and then.

I just fed the tank a few minutes ago with some frozen mush and I could see it picking out some of the smaller particles. A good sign, its the first feeding so far where it attempted to eat.

Old 09/23/2007, 11:40 PM
Standpipe Guy

The Bellus angel is still getting chased about a bit but not nearly as bad as it was last week. Luckily, I've gotten it eating flake food and mysis shrimp now.

I've been wanting to add some more flow to the tank, my original thought was two more Vortech pumps on the back wall pointing forward. However since I only need current for 2 feet of water (front to back) I think thats overkill and too expensive for that task.

Instead I picked up two Turbelle Nanostreams 6025 which are about 600 GPH which is lower flow and smaller than Vortechs however it includes magnet holder and can swivel to allow me to aim it. I got them for the MACNA show price of $55/ea. And they only use 7w of power.

I considered the maxijet mods as well, but again thats too large.

I also have penductors on loan from my previous neighbors old reef tank (he took it down when he moved). With the corals getting large they need more flow but I'm a bit worried about changing the flow that drastically. I also need to trim back the gorgonians a bit before ramping up the flow that much or they will make contact with the acroporas.

Old 09/23/2007, 11:45 PM
Standpipe Guy

It's pretty rare the peppermint shrimp come out in the open like this during the day. I typically only see it out at night.

Old 09/25/2007, 09:10 PM
Standpipe Guy

I've talked about a bad halide not burning correctly a few times. Premium Aquatics has mailed me out a replacement bulb (they always have awesome customer service). This is why some of the pictures recently looked a little on the pink side.

These pictures show how far off the bulb has been color temperature wise:

This one is with a very fast shutter speed.

Old 09/28/2007, 11:34 PM
Standpipe Guy

Had a pretty big thunderstorm roll through town today, when it was over it left a nice brilliant rainbow. I posted some pictures in the Lounge:

Rainbow Picture Thread

Enjoy.

Old 10/01/2007, 11:40 PM
Standpipe Guy

Clownfish laid another clutch of eggs, this time on the back glass. They keep picking a new location. The eggs must be a few days old already as I they are silver and I can see the eyes pretty well.

The bellus angel is still doing really well and eating like a pig but still on the thin side. It's really eating flake, nori and various frozen foods very well.

I was playing around with the camera tonight, deleted most of the pictures but this one was worth posting. It was taken with moon-lights and flash. Shows the size of some of the corals in a section of the tank.

Old 10/01/2007, 11:47 PM
TRC Leader

It is a beautiful shot. So you don't have nitrate issues, hummm.
Old 10/02/2007, 05:19 AM
Catch and release

Nice pic Rich...very natural looking
Old 10/02/2007, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Rich, I am coming over to get some of that crack for my tank. The birdsnest exploded in there.

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 10/02/2007, 01:07 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
It is a beautiful shot. So you don't have nitrate issues, hummm.
You only have nitrate issues if you measure them.

OK, OK... I'll check.

Old 10/02/2007, 01:09 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc11
Nice pic Rich...very natural looking
Thanks!

The rest of the pictures didn't come out so good. The flash washed all the color out. I'll take some more pictures (right after I check nitrates for Melev).

Old 10/02/2007, 01:13 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by nine9d
Rich, I am coming over to get some of that crack for my tank. The birdsnest exploded in there.
No problem. I'll bring some to the next meeting for you.

BTW - Got my MACNA XX tickets & room reserved.