Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

My tank is cursed

I lost virtually all of my SPS a couple months ago due to a pump failure. I finally got the tank back in shape, so last week, I bought 30+ frags to start restocking. Today, my house air conditioner went out. It's over 90 degrees in the house, and I'm cooling the tank to 84-85F by throwing ziplock bags of ice cubes in the sump every hour.

I'm trying to get my A/C repaired through my home warranty, and they are taking their time (of course). They won't even look at it until monday!

I called around and finally found someone (Reef Exotics) that could overnight me a 1/10HP chiller. That sure did sting the wallet, but I guess I have no choice. It was very cool of them to rush it for me... I tried several places before them that wouldn't bother.

I'm going to make a DIY chiller by filling a huge ice chest with bags of ice, and use my AquaController to turn on a maxijet that pumps water through when the temperature rises, and the overflow goes back to the sump. I doubt this will be terribly effecitve, but it should work well enough so that I can sleep tonight.

I fear what is in store next for my tank.
Old 07/26/2007, 05:26 PM
clownfish fan

why so hot i have a 50 g system with 2x250 w halides and i dont have a sump, my tank with a fan on my aquacontroller stays under 80? is it your CL?
Old 07/26/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Over the weekend a fan over my tank lowerd the temp from 87 to 77.6. I had to replace twice as much RO/DI though.
Old 07/26/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
why so hot i have a 50 g system with 2x250 w halides and i dont have a sump, my tank with a fan on my aquacontroller stays under 80? is it your CL?
All that is on are two tunze streams. The air in the house is 90F, so the water is getting warm just ambiently.

Fans are not helping much, since the humidity level in the house is very high (normally your AC removes humidity and dries the air) and there is little to no evaporation going on. Plus the air blowing across the water is warmer than the water itself!
Old 07/27/2007, 07:09 AM
SPS Slave

hang in there - sounds like you are doing the right things until your chiller arrives. Good luck!
Old 07/27/2007, 08:28 AM
Blue

Don't bother with your lights until the chiller gets here. Have you tried a bag of ice floating in the sump?
Old 07/27/2007, 08:41 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by NewSchool04
Don't bother with your lights until the chiller gets here. Have you tried a bag of ice floating in the sump?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lobster
... It's over 90 degrees in the house, and I'm cooling the tank to 84-85F by throwing ziplock bags of ice cubes in the sump every hour....
I would continue down the path you are. Continue trying to keep that temperature down with ice. Although high humidity will hinder the process, I'd still continue with the fans. I would agree as well with keeping the lights off for the time being and everything should make it through a day or two.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I live in Mandeville, if you need help I would be happy to do what I can for you. If you still need the chiller (I know you had one ordered) Rick's Reef in Metarie has them as well as coral connection in kenner. I have a 180 that could house your frags for you if need a place for them...
Old 07/27/2007, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Imo---the tank raising gradually to 90 degrees is not too much to worry about--it's not good to stay like that forever but it shouldn't hurt until Monday
Old 07/27/2007, 03:09 PM
Flowalicious

Wouldnt it be easier to just go out an buy a $99 window-shaker AC, and cool the room?
Old 07/27/2007, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Need to have backups for everything on your system.. Nothing ever breaksdown during business hours. Myself after spending thousands on coral and livestock. I could not even go anywhere or sleep at night. Unless I had a backup for my 1HP chiller. Sure it cost more but in the long run it's worth it..... That's part of the 100.00 per gallon rule I preach...

Good Luck...
Old 07/27/2007, 06:32 PM

turn off unneeded pumps for now

start freezing water bottles and throw them in the display every 30 mins
Old 07/28/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
Wouldnt it be easier to just go out an buy a $99 window-shaker AC, and cool the room?
Yeah, thought of that, but I would have needed two or three of them because of the size of the room. I figured the chiller was a more useful investment. My homeowners association won't let me have window units anyway.

Everything's good now. The chiller's keeping things at 82F and I'm running the lights a few hours at night when its cooler.
Old 07/28/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Good luck with everything. I'm sure everything will be fine if you continue to stay on top of this.
Old 07/28/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Yep, buy you a cheap window unit to cool the room the tank is in. If I were there I would fix your A/C and get you back in business.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD
Old 08/02/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

You might try to shorten the lighting schedule. This should help without affecting the color too much.