Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 10:51 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Let'th hear it for Darwinithm!!!!

I've thaid it wunth. i've thaid it a thouthand timeth. Don't pearthe you tongue.... idiot.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...92/detail.html

BOSTON -- A young Scituate woman has died of meningitis after getting an infection from a tongue piercing.

Kate Donovan, 20, went to the hospital after her tongue started to get infected from the piercing. She died on Monday, according to family friends.

Donovan was an employee at Jamie's Pub in Scituate.

Bacterial infections, including meningitis, can be a complication from tongue piercing, according to the Web site WebMD.com.

Meningitis is an infection of the tissue that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms of meningitis may appear suddenly and include: fever, severe and constant headache, stiff neck or neck pain, nausea and vomiting and rash.

NewsCenter 5 and TheBostonChannel.com will have more information when it becomes available.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

thupid lille gurll

Old 11/21/2007, 11:16 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

buth guyth luvth the pierthen
Old 11/21/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

only afther ith healths

Old 11/22/2007, 12:14 AM
Guardian of Little People

I bet it won't be an open mouth funeral.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 11/22/2007, 12:26 AM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
I bet it won't be an open mouth funeral.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I did it and I didn't die much to many peoples dissatisfaction
Old 11/22/2007, 05:47 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Aliie, you have your tongue pierced ?

Too old for women to care
Old 11/22/2007, 07:01 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Last year er so a late teens girl lost one breast and most of the tissue on half her chest because she had to have a nipple piercing.
Old 11/22/2007, 07:30 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Aliie
I did it and I didn't die much to many peoples dissatisfaction
Hahaha....I got five body piercings myself, and nothing rotted or dropped off.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

I had 2 in my tongue.. and countless others over the yrs.

Only ones left are my nose and i have spacers in my ears that i guess ill have for the rest of my life lol

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/22/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

The chances of you having a problem with a "WELL CARED FOR BODY PIERCING" are slim...That said..most of the people that have problems either didn't do their homework and went to a "less than reputable" piercer, or didn't follow the after-care instructions for that particular piercing. Of course there will always be risks with body modification, but there if you are smart about it and do your homework you would be fine. I have been piercing for 8 years and have acuired the title of Master Piercer by the APP, I have pierced 1000's of people and will honestly say that if you take care of the piercing the way that it supposed to there is a VERY small chance for a problem. The media just likes to print the "bad news" stories, most of the time without doing proper research on the subject.
If her piercing was infected then she wasn't properly caring for it, IE rinse with wateredown mouthwash (1/4 strength) after you eat,drink,smoke ANYTHING but water. No open mouth kissing for 2 weeks (including oral sex).
Your mouth contains an enzyme "Ptyalin" and Lingual antimicrobial Peptide (LAP) which kills bacteria, hence it is ALMOST impossible to get an infection.

Sorry for ranting on about this but Im getting tired of everyone (society in general) for badmouthing body mods.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:43 AM

Not so much bad mouthing the mods as the idiots who get modded.
Old 11/22/2007, 08:49 AM

Modding? Is that like mutilating?

I can be a mutilator now!

Old 11/22/2007, 09:08 AM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
Aliie, you have your tongue pierced ?
Yes and my eyebrow and I had my lip done but decided that it was just to much so took it out almost immediately.

Never got any infections from them but had many a look from my sons teachers.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:01 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Quote:
Modding? Is that like mutilating?
More like enhancement, particularly if you're referring to the prince.

Allie, how was the lip piercing in terms of pain compared to the eyebrow? My most painful ones were the nipples, but they weren't really all that bad.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Mutilation? As in getting plastic sugery to make your nose/breasts or whatever look different...atleast a piercing can be taken out with little or no evidence of it ever being there...As for doctors being qualified...I have met quite a few doc's that have been intregied by my knowlege of anatomy (for any real piercer the Grays Anatomy book should me memorized).
I have been told by a few people on this board that I dare not show some of the stuff that I have done, suspentions,pulls, dermal implants, so it is kind of hard to explain most of them. As for the tounge piercing gone bad....I had 3 in my tounge at once and if I didnt show, it would have never been known. Now I dont have any in my tounge (but I did get it bifurcated)
Old 11/22/2007, 10:56 AM

"intregied"?

Old 11/22/2007, 10:57 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Too bad people have to try to get attention in ridiculous ways.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Embowe
I have been told by a few people on this board that I dare not show some of the stuff that I have done
Darn good advice.

Old 11/25/2007, 07:32 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Darn good advice.
Brain is right about that, Bifurcating (sp?) your tongue sounds so horrible i refuse to google it
Old 11/25/2007, 08:03 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Embowe
badmouthing body mods.
That's what killed this girl!

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 11/25/2007, 08:27 PM
RC Mod

I was born with a perfect body , no need to try to enhance it with piercings or tattoos.

Old 11/25/2007, 08:35 PM
Official Bear of the Reef

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Darwin part of this.

I mean, I'm not a piercing person, but it doesn't seem like she died doing something incredibly stupid I.e. cleaning a chimney with a grenade.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Aquarist
I'm sorry, but I don't see the Darwin part of this.

it doesn't seem like she died doing something incredibly stupid
Darwin award winners are people that take themselves out of the gene pool through their own actions, especially if it was a conscious decision.

Let's do a quick search on webmd for tongue piercing to see if there are any risk factors that might make this less than a brilliant decision....

Oh, look at that...
Quote:
While piercing the tongue, lip or cheek may be attractive to some, there are a number of health-related risks associated with oral piercing, including:

Infections. The wound created by piercing, the vast amount of bacteria in the mouth, and the introduction of additional bacteria from handling the jewelry all work to increase the risk of infections.
Transmission of diseases. Oral piercing is a potential risk factor for the transmission of herpes simplex virus and hepatitis B and C.
Endocarditis. Because of the wound created by the piercing, there's a chance that bacteria could enter the bloodstream and lead to the development of endocarditis – an inflammation of the heart or its valves -- in certain people with underlying (and often undiagnosed and without symptoms) heart problems.
Nerve damage/prolonged bleeding. Numbness or loss of sensation at the site of the piercing or movement problems (for pierced tongues) can occur if nerves have been damaged. If blood vessels are punctured, prolonged bleeding can occur. Tongue swelling following piercing can be severe enough to block the airway and make breathing difficult.
Gum disease . People with oral piercings – especially long-stem tongue jewelry (barbells) -- have a greater risk of gum disease than those without oral piercings. The jewelry can come into contact with gum tissue causing injury as well as a recession of the gum tissue – which can lead to loose teeth and tooth loss.
Damage to teeth. Teeth that come into contact with mouth jewelry can chip or crack. One study in a dental journal reported that 47% of people wearing barbell tongue jewelry for 4 or more years had at least one chipped tooth.
Difficulties in daily oral functions. Tongue piercing can result in difficulty chewing and swallowing food and speaking clearly. This is because the jewelry stimulates an excessive production of saliva. Temporary or permanent drooling is another consequence of increased saliva production. Taste can also be altered.
Allergic reaction to metal. A hypersensitivity reaction – called allergic contact dermatitis -- to the metal in the jewelry can occur in susceptible people.
Jewelry aspiration. Jewelry that becomes loose in the mouth can become a choking hazard and, if swallowed, can result in injury to the digestive track or lungs.

Yah, nothing stupid there...
Old 11/25/2007, 09:51 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Another Darwin award winner:

18 year old was working for a lawn care/tree trimming service. After trimming a tree the workers were feeding the branches into a chipper/shredder. Well, a branch got stuck at the opening of the chipper shredder. Darwin award winner figured why not stomp on the branch to get it unstuck? Well, yeah the branch came unstuck and the chipper/shredder continued feeding... You get the picture.