Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Question Best Seaclone Mods???

I want to hear about the best seaclone protein skimmer mods. I got a seaclone 100 for my inlaws 25 gallon reef at a very cheap price and want to mod the heck out of it to get some performance. So what can I do?
Old 10/28/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

here is my solution that worked perfectly.

posted TRT

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showth...light=seaclone
Old 10/28/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

ok heres some step by step directions...
1. pick up seaclone
2. walk to you kitchen
3. find the trashcan
4. open trashcan
5. put seaclone in trashcan
6. close lid
Old 10/28/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

2nd that
Old 10/28/2007, 07:07 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Hey you guys know of the trash can mod also. I thought I was the only one who did that.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I used the power head for more water movement.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok, Ok, I'm not a neebi here. I'm not stupid. I know the Seaclone is complete junk but I got it for nothing and her tank didn't have a skimmer on it yet so I want to know some hints to get a little better performance out of it for her 25 gallon tank. For myself I have a Euroreef RS 250 on my 150 gallon reef tank so i'm not stupid when it comes to skimming.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I just pulled off the foam around the intake and have had no problems since. If I feed or move rocks around I will get microbubbles coming into my system for about an hour.

My seaclone pulls out about 1/4 cup of black stinky coffee skimate every day. I do not see why they are so hated.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:11 PM
OMAS VP

Here you go.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=40

I loved mine until I bought a bigger tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

They worked great when you cut the riser and put in a an air stone.

Just make sure you can keep your shoe laces tied first.

Old 10/29/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by temec_luver
ok heres some step by step directions...
1. pick up seaclone
2. walk to you kitchen
3. find the trashcan
4. open trashcan
5. put seaclone in trashcan
6. close lid
Actually, you skipped a step. The step in between steps 4 and 5 should read "obtain hammer and smash to bits".
Old 10/29/2007, 06:03 PM
It tastes like burning

The SeaClone is a bad skimmer, but a couple of mods can turn it into a decent skimmer at best.

I have seen people mention some sort of valve mod, doing away with the venturi, but I didn't pay close attention. You can cut the riser tube, but you need to be careful when you attempt that.

When had my SeaClone, I did the bioball mod and airstone mod, and both improved performance.

As for some links:
http://www.reefcentral.com/diy/seacl...ifications.htm
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=seaclone+mod

HTH
Old 10/29/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Cut the riser tube to about 3 inches and insert an air stone...best mods if you want to get anything significant. Also IIRC, there was something with how the skimmate tube was inserted in the lid that helped in producing the foam. I think I had put tape around the tube to hold it tight in the hole...thus created almost a vacuum pulling more bubbles in.

I used to be able to pull 1/2 a cup of dark skimmate a day with it, but honestly, even on its best day, it doesn't really compare to a real skimmer.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 11/02/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

i use them as a carbon and phosphate reactors.... but other than that i bought a deltec lol
Old 11/02/2007, 10:58 PM
uhhhh....???

Not sure why everyone knocks the seaclone. I wouldnt recommend using the 150 on a 150gal tank. However they are excellent on smaller tanks say 30 or less. I have been using the 150 on my 24 aqua pod for awhile. It fits perfect I have 2 firefish a goby and a blennie and manage to keep <.02 phosphates and undetectable nitrates, done with monthly water changes of 4 gals. I pull as much crap in ratio to my 55gal prev tank with the glorified euro reef. Maybe its the cheap price tag that makes it junk. Oh and my euroreef was more of a pain in the a$$ for bubbles then my seaclone is.
Two things I wish I could change about reef central...the seaclone police and the tang police.

As a side note, the euro reef is a killer skimmer and is highly recommended on a larger tank. The seaclone plain and simple is just as good on a much smaller scale as I said 30-40gals max.

-Duu it!