Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/24/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Tassle Filefish

Does anyone know where I can get an extra large tassle filefish? I've been looking all over and cant find any.
Old 06/25/2007, 07:15 AM
10 & Over Club

Small ones are infrequent, large ones even more so. It's really going to be a matter of keeping looking.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 06/26/2007, 09:08 AM
Team RC Member

In the past, I have seen them at liveaquaria and marine center. Try marinedepotlive. Or ask your LFS if they can special order one from a wholesaler for you.
Old 06/26/2007, 09:27 AM
Team RC Member

Marine Center seems to have large ones, now.

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/fil...seledfilefish/
Old 07/12/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I just got an extra large one from my lfs, hes huge, about 6 inches.
Old 07/12/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Can we see a pick of your new file Mel?
Old 07/12/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

I'll post pics when I bring him home. I went to see him today at the lfs and he just came in yesterday. He was hiding behind the tank filter, but when I asked the manager to feed him, he did eat and he looked better. I think it is acclimation stuff I am seeing. The fish seems in good health and was in very good spirits after he was fed. I decided to leave him at the store til tomorrow so that I don't shock him by trying to move him twice in 48 hours. What do you all think? Should I pick him up tomorrow, or wait a week. He is in with a bunch of tangs that also were in the same shipment and I know they can be ich magnets. I'd hate for him to get ich.
Old 07/13/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

One Move is easier than two.

Feed your Tassel a mixture of meaty foods and greens, (no large chunks), they need greens daily. These are top dwellers, once established.

Tassels get large, think of a dinner plate so they need height and width when it comes to tank size, if you have power-heads, make sure there are guards on them.

The Tassel should be kept with tank mates that will not pick at them, though they have a tough skin, they still have the delicate tassels, if they are bullied, they can turn on a fish, this is a passive fish that can hold it's own.

Kaye
Old 07/13/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I have my buddy for about 2 years, he grew from a 1 1/4" to the 6" fat monkey that swims in his tank now, by far my favorite fish, he likes to eat and eat and eat

Jose
Old 07/13/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

what is he with?
Old 07/13/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

here you go

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1129540

Jose
Old 07/13/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank, I just brought mine home and nobody is messing with hims at all. With him I brought a 3 inch niger trigger because it always decreases aggression to put 2 fish in at once. My purple tang hates him. He won't let the niger come out of this one cave. Any suggestions? I will post some picture of my guy.
Old 07/13/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Is he being housed with your clown triggerfish?
Old 07/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Yes, a clown about 5 inches. The clown is terrified of the file which is about 7 inches, and isn't really bothered by the niger.
Old 07/13/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

not super great pictures,

Old 07/13/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I couldn't get my miliaris eel to come out.
Old 07/13/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't expect the situation with the clown and tassle to last very long. Don't be surprised if you wake up one day and the tassle's dead and the clown is grinning.
Old 07/14/2007, 07:03 AM
10 & Over Club

Nice find

BTW, pinkie is right about the clown trigger. It is likely to be trouble.

Last edited by billsreef; 07/14/2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07/14/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I've got one that is about 2 inches long, it's been pretty easy to keep, he eats right out of the feeding tube no problems, although he is picky on exactly what he likes. All my friends and family call him the "Garbage fish" because of how he looks.
Old 07/14/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I doubt the trigger will harm him, this guy has a trigger temper of his own. I've found the larger tassles to be very aggressive despite what the internet says probably considering they are so closely related to triggers. I've had tassles before and they aren't as peaceful as claimed the larger they get. filefish This guy is also alot bigger than the 5 inch clown clown the second pic is his actual size.
Old 07/14/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

IMO - As a keeper of this fish (filefish) for a few years now, Yes they can become more aggressive, and taking into consideration that your clown has "a trigger temper of his own", and they all do, my money would be on the trigger.

I have not seen many fish a clown trigger could not take out if it wanted to. Yes, some do great when housed with other tank-mates, But majority rules when it comes to this trigger.

I would really watch that trigger, take into consideration it's still young, but please do not rule it out.

Kaye
Old 07/14/2007, 01:06 PM
Keeper of Tangs

beautiful fish good luck with him
Old 07/14/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

No, the file has a trigger temper of his own not the clown. Currently right now the file is top fish, I am not going to rule the clown trigger out but I've kept these files before and have found if no one picks at their tassles they can hold their own to aggressive fish.
Old 07/14/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Anyone ever keep a clown trigger successfully in a FO situation where the clown trigger didn't "snap" and stayed peaceful? My guy was purchased last Dec. at 2 inches in size. He is now 5 inches. He holds his own in an aggressive FO tank, but I am concerned about increasing agression as he gets bigger. At the moment, he isn't my problem fish. I have more difficulty with my huge purple tang and emperor angel who "stir it up" with everyone new and old fish alike. I haven't seen many posts from people who have successfully kept clown triggers for years at a time. If anyone like this is out there, could you please respond?

As far as problems between the clown trigger and large filefish are concerned, they are minimal at this point because large filefish are terrors in their own right and "size rules". Issues may arise down the line if my clown trigger passes up my other fish in size which he may do. That is the situation that does concern me.
Old 07/14/2007, 03:21 PM
10 & Over Club

Your trigger is right around the size that the attitude problems typically start. Often it's one of those routines where things are good one day, and the next day the trigger has magically transformed overnight into Atilla the Hun of the fish world. On rare occasions I've seen large clown's that weren't overly aggressive, but we're talking very rare occasions.