Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/02/2005, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Nick, in all fairness doggydog is only 13 years old...so he/she has lots to learn and naturally would like instant gratification, like all of us would like. So if we're patient with him or her, and let doggy know the best possible way to do things, hopefully we'll be teaching him or her. I don't think it's inpatience...I think just needing to learn.

DOGGYDOG911....are you male or female?

Im a boy, and thank you sticking up for me since THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN TO ASK AND JUST THINK THEY KNOW ME!!!!!
Old 05/02/2005, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

sorry bought my last post, just got mad there for a sec
Old 05/02/2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

just to many people do that to me. they judge me before they even get to know me.
Old 05/02/2005, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

how did you get the po4 out? I've never tested much less manage it - just a matter of time I guess

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
[B
i took this yesterday, right after a water change. its a little cloudy from the fresh SW, and little blue, couldnt quite get WB right, but as you can see my little algae bloom (that Dennis so kindly pointed out las time i posted a pic ) has finally subsided. i never had it tested, but im convinced it was PO4. [/B]
Old 05/02/2005, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

You can all call me Michael, mike or Mikey if you want
Old 05/02/2005, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

waiting is always best, and nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 05/02/2005, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

TBS Hitch Hiker worm

Check out this wild worm I just found

It's about 6" long but very thin, maybe 1/16" at the "head" and tapering to nearly nothing at the tail.

Not sure if it's "good" or "bad", but it's certainly cool looking!

- Michael
Old 05/02/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

question about lights. How much lighting should I put in a 55g tank if I want to keep sps (don't worry i think ill add those in when I have more experience) coral and lps and of course soft!
Old 05/02/2005, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

what do worms do in the tank? they look creepy and yucky
Old 05/02/2005, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Pat, i really like the way that fixture looks.
Thanks. I like the way it looks to. I ordered another one from ReefGeek this afternoon, so I should get it by next Monday the latest I think. Now it's a matter to see how long it takes for the temp to come down.

No problem Mikey...he was unaware of your age and also did apologize right away when he found out.

Nick, you have a PO4 problem? Ours was high and I got a Phosban reactor, which has worked really nicely. I look forward to see if I'll have high phosphates in the new tank when it gets up and running.

Brian, thanks for the update on yoiur studies.

Bob, I'm sure in no time the ammonia will get down to zero.

Old 05/02/2005, 03:41 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Quote:
Originally posted by Doggydog911
what do worms do in the tank? they look creepy and yucky
They eat the detruis from the sand bed, micros from the rock, they are part of the clean up crew in a good tank
Old 05/02/2005, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Whoa Michael.....that is one weird worm!! Hopefully greenbean will chime in and let us know what it is!
Old 05/02/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
They eat the detruis from the sand bed, micros from the rock, they are part of the clean up crew in a good tank

Thank you
Old 05/02/2005, 03:50 PM
Tang? What Tang!

welcome
Old 05/02/2005, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

be back onlater, going somewhere.
Old 05/02/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

what a clean look on the lite hanging are you going to keep the canopy? do the light slide up easy enough - I never heard anyone remark on that - so I curious.

ok - I am sensitive too - I want to say that my comment was not directed at all to Mikey's ambitions - the only thing that crossed my mind was when I put three firefish in and two dissappeared and the third one hung to close to the top for comfort till I got the chromis - now he stays down doing his thing.

With respect to patience I was referring to - I was hoping lossman did not feed too much given nitrates and/or ammonia just got more in control and drk and others needding to be patient until sliming became enough to help control micrbubbles and communicate that socks may be a bandaid which may cause accumulation of waste subject to be thrown back in to the water if not cleaned everyday and a possible solution may be accomplished by more refined skimming. Overall I was sympatheitic offering that with patience, some of these problems will go away.

I get the feeling that people expect tbs to offer instant cycling which is not happeneing and to be patient. The most frustrating thing is dealing with cycle and if not managed with actions and/or patience - the worst will happen - total loss of life whic far worse than making a wrong fish choice.

PO4 I don't know never tested - one reason being that I believe I have read that the test do not always reveal it for a reason I am still looking to understand - I don't have any nuisance algaes other than bubble and other fast growing macros - I just like to understand things and PO4 seems to be something that needs to be dealt with at some point.

Could you please tell me what the red is showing in everyones tank deeper in the sand bed against the glass? Mine is showing now when it did not before.

Based on many thread replies - I will be reaching in and removing my 1 star sifter (about 4 inch point to point) because they eat good things - it took me a while to come to this decision as I do not know how they are quick enough to capture the benefical sand life - I was hoping to have animals who kept the sand nice and white and thats why I had him and the other three I already removed and took back to the lfs. My diamond gobies are disappeared - they were so good at turning the sand over -

So I need help - what should I add to the tank to keep the sand a little stirred.

I have been struggling with dsb v. ssb v. barebottom

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Thanks. I like the way it looks to. I ordered another one from ReefGeek this afternoon, so I should get it by next Monday the latest I think. Now it's a matter to see how long it takes for the temp to come down.

No problem Mikey...he was unaware of your age and also did apologize right away when he found out.

Nick, you have a PO4 problem? Ours was high and I got a Phosban reactor, which has worked really nicely. I look forward to see if I'll have high phosphates in the new tank when it gets up and running.

Brian, thanks for the update on yoiur studies.

Bob, I'm sure in no time the ammonia will get down to zero.

Old 05/02/2005, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnick
what a clean look on the lite hanging are you going to keep the canopy? do the light slide up easy enough - I never heard anyone remark on that - so I curious.
ok - I am sensitive too - I want to say that my comment was not directed at all to Mikey's ambitions - the only thing that crossed my mind was when I put three firefish in and two dissappeared and the third one hung to close to the top for comfort till I got the chromis - now he stays down doing his thing.
PO4 I don't know never tested - one reason being that I believe I have read that the test do not always reveal it for a reason I am still looking to understand - I don't have any nuisance algaes other than bubble and other fast growing macros - I just like to understand things and PO4 seems to be something that needs to be dealt with at some point.
Could you please tell me what the red is showing in everyones tank deeper in the sand bed against the glass? Mine is showing now when it did not before.
Yes, we'll keep the canopy. You have to hold one end up to take the weight off in order to raise them up. Bob said he has to see how it works if you wanted to lower them.
I'm very sensitive too.
Salifert make a good PO4 test kit. If you think you might have a problem, I'd give it a try.
The junk below the sand line is just algae junk. I see it on everyone's tanks.
Old 05/02/2005, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the reply and timeline H20luvsme, lot's of water changes for me still..

patience -- something i try to have with my 3 y/o it's a very hard battle
Old 05/02/2005, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

While I'm at it, here's a new shot of one of my porcelain crabs...

- Michael

Old 05/02/2005, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Nice Closeup!! Wow...you can even see it's eyes!
Old 05/02/2005, 05:49 PM
Tang? What Tang!

yeah it is a nice closeup
Old 05/02/2005, 05:51 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Michael, it looks like a nemertean (ribbon worm) to me. They are predatory, but with one that small it probably eats other worms or pods.

I think we need a few more Michaels in this thread to make things more confusing. My real name is Michael too BTW, but greenbean is probably better in this thread.
Old 05/02/2005, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
I think we need a few more Michaels in this thread to make things more confusing. My real name is Michael too BTW, but greenbean is probably better in this thread.
Yeah, I think you've got to stay greenbean. We have a Michael and a Mike that post already, that's why I figured we'd call doggydog Mikey.
Michael's and Jason's are popular names in this thread.

How large do those worms get?
Old 05/02/2005, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doggydog911
question about lights. How much lighting should I put in a 55g tank if I want to keep sps (don't worry i think ill add those in when I have more experience) coral and lps and of course soft!
i would say metal halide. some of these T-5ers may direct you otherwise youd want to go with 175w, IMO. they will provide good light. if you go with 14k or 20k (the bluer spectrum) you may not need to add any supplementation.

if you wanted actinic, anything would suffice. VHO would be my choice, but thats what i have, and i can only compare it to NO and PC.

on that note i can only compare what i have used, and thats everything except T-5. i plan to go with a halide/VHO combo on my next tank too. i really like the "shimmer" effect of the halide, and wouldnt trade that for any other lighting. florescent just cant provide the same effect, and i think its very natural looking. also, IMO, VHO provides a more natural looking actinic than PC.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnick
how did you get the po4 out? I've never tested much less manage it - just a matter of time I guess
the gulf is pretty notoriuos for high Phosphates. ever since a couple weeks after i got my second shipment i noticed an abundant increase in algal growth. of course i had abundant nutrients in the water, and had experienced a bit of a new cycle. well a few months went by with my nitrate in respectable levels, but the algae kept spreading. it was spreading even right in the path of the powerheads, heck right on the powerheads. it wasnt really that bad, but definetly "bloom" status, IMO. it was the most algae ive ever had in a tank! (not percentage wise, but total ) it was only on the glass though.

i had been worried about PO4, but i wanted it to leave on its own accord. i started doing 4 or 8 gallon water changes every other day. after a couple weeks, i began to think i was fighting a losong battle. i bought a 2 pack of PO4 filter pads last thursday. i ran the first pad thursday night, the second pad friday and saturday night. i removed them to monitor the algae sunday. there has been no progression, where last week i could scrape it, and it would cover within 2 days. last night i even scraped the green calcareous algae off of the back glass, along with all the easily reachable brown hair i had after scraping i did another 8 gallon change, and will resort to my weekly 8 gallon changes, if all goes well this week. nothing on the back glass today, all corals seem fine
Old 05/02/2005, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RunDrums
thanks for the reply and timeline H20luvsme, lot's of water changes for me still..

patience -- something i try to have with my 3 y/o it's a very hard battle
use your best judgement with the animals health and well being and you should do fine

Quote:
Originally posted by mhe
While I'm at it, here's a new shot of one of my porcelain crabs...

- Michael

awesome pic!!

Micheal - i always wondered what your name was ill still go with gb or greenbean its good enough for me not to have to type the ##'s