Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2005, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Amazing pictures Landon! How much rock do you have in the tank? (it's the 75g right?)
Old 05/04/2005, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

I know you were just kidding Danielle. So am I.

I second your comment to Landon Pat. Just joking!

Landon great pics as usual.
Old 05/04/2005, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

When you buy zoanthids....how do they come...on a piece of rock or just plain and you have to put them on the rock?
Old 05/04/2005, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
What's the green in the background?
OMG, i just laughed real hard!!

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Amazing pictures Landon! How much rock do you have in the tank? (it's the 75g right?)
thanks! yes, its a 75. i had about 100 pounds of LR before i added my 50 lbs of TBS. id say 150, but it would be a total guess. ive got a lot of corals that have pretty large pieces of rock, and ive traded some to the fuge, and other tanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I second your comment to Landon Pat. Just joking!

Landon great pics as usual.
laughing again

and thanks.

Quote:
When you buy zoanthids....how do they come...on a piece of rock or just plain and you have to put them on the rock?
most places you buy them from put them on a small rock. if i get trades from friends they dont always come on rocks. i've read zomania doesnt, so i would ask before purchasing. it is much better to have a small rock, than to try and place bare zoas.
Old 05/04/2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted to H2O

Wow Landon, I just found your thread...AWESOME pics! Your tank has come a long way, and it's looking fantastic! Keep up the great work

Kayla

EDIT - My sincere apologies to patsan (I just realized you're the thread originator). You have a sweet setup as well!

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 05/04/2005, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipturn88
Wow Landon, I just found your thread...AWESOME pics! Your tank has come a long way, and it's looking fantastic! Keep up the great work

Kayla

EDIT - My sincere apologies to patsan (I just realized you're the thread originator). You have a sweet setup as well!

thanks Kayla!! i dont think Pat was offended at all. she started this thread for all of us that were participating in the TBS threads. we've got a good bunch of posters here, your input would be welcome anytime this is one of the few threads that moves as fast as Amanda's 75 gallon thread. i wont begin to compare it to the youger reefers thread though allthough we get in the 5 (sometimes more) page a day range every now and then.

if interested here' a thread i started on my tank a month or so ago. im about to post more pics to it from this weekend.
Old 05/04/2005, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Landon your camera takes GREAT up close pics and they are crystal clear. Beautiful tank and zoos. I really like that 1st pic you have posted of them. What kind of camera do you use?
Old 05/04/2005, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kidzatheart
Wow! Landon your camera takes GREAT up close pics and they are crystal clear. Beautiful tank and zoos. I really like that 1st pic you have posted of them. What kind of camera do you use?
thanks Lori!

i use a Nikon CoolPix 5600 for all of my pics. it has some basic manual features, but is mostly automatic. i like it because it fits in my pocket and was pretty cheap its not as small as my old pentax, but its actually more comfortable to hold.

also, i take about 10-15 pics for each one i keep. then i only post 1/4 of what i keep most all of my keepers are in my photobucket albumn (red house ).
Old 05/04/2005, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I know this is not a plumbing thread, but I wanted to put in a few words about the "sliming" issue. Someone, can't remember who, said you needed slime in your tank to prevent the micro bubbles. I could not figure out how this worked. Well, today, when I was changing the filter bags, I noticed that the bubbles coming from the overflow/drainage pipes were very noticebly less than they were two weeks ago. I decided to leave the bags off and see what happened. Two weeks ago when I tried this, the main tank quickly filled with micro bubbles and all kinds of junk. Today, although there was a lot of detritus that initially went into the tank, it quickly subsided, and there are no micro bubbles in the main tank at all!!! I've really hated the filter bags, thinking they were just nitrate factories, and, with the modifications of the pipes, the bags were a royal pita to change. I'm going to leave the bags off for a while and see what happens. Right now, there is a lot of daily noise in the house so the gurgling is not noticeable at all. I'm going to see what happens tonight after everyone goes to bed, tv off, bird quiet, etc. to see how much noise is added back due to the filter bags being removed. I'm beginning to think not a lot. So people, LOVE YOUR SLIME!!!!

Now, if I can get the skimmer dialed in and get our nitrates down even more (just 30ppm today!!! Yeeehawww!!!) I'll be a happy camper....that is, until the next thing comes along.
Old 05/05/2005, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

pat, the tank is doing great, still a trace [.2 ] of amm, but theres probally still sponge dieoff. all the other numbers are fine. i finally have the coraline spreading even onto the glass. around the end of the month i'll add one or two things.
Old 05/05/2005, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Sally, i think it was Nick that pointed out the slime factor. it took my tank almost 6 weeks to build up enough to stop the bubbles completely. the skimmer will be coming along soon i bet!
Old 05/05/2005, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, the tank is doing great, still a trace [.2 ] of amm, but theres probally still sponge dieoff. all the other numbers are fine. i finally have the coraline spreading even onto the glass. around the end of the month i'll add one or two things.
Glad it's going well for you Bob. What do you plan on adding?
Old 05/05/2005, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

i plan on adding a 500 gal tbs tank! no really one soft coral and a gramma. with the wifes blessing i'm going to get rid of some of the smaller f/o tanks and replace them with one larger 75-125 f/o with tbs rock tank. but thats a fall project
Old 05/05/2005, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
i plan on adding a 500 gal tbs tank! no really one soft coral and a gramma. with the wifes blessing i'm going to get rid of some of the smaller f/o tanks and replace them with one larger 75-125 f/o with tbs rock tank. but thats a fall project
That sounds like a great fall project! You really like this TBS stuff huh?
Old 05/05/2005, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

being a diver and having done a lot of diving in the keys, this looks so much like nature. my tanks have to look natural not like a piece of art.
Old 05/05/2005, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

pictures

Quote:
being a diver and having done a lot of diving in the keys, this looks so much like nature. my tanks have to look natural not like a piece of art.
Old 05/05/2005, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

**shakes head**

Bob, i like the more natural settings too. i really like Sally and Brett doing the Tampa bio-tope. it should be real cool when its completed.

i really need to get out and dive, before i set my next tank up.
Old 05/05/2005, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

i have loads of pictures taken in the keys diving but there all slides. theres no way to post them
Old 05/05/2005, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Have any of you had crabs turn up dead in your TBS tank?

Mine's been running for about 3 months now, part 2's been in about 3 weeks, I never had much of a spike with either part, I have 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 hitch hiker goby and the TBS LR.

I got a number of little crabs with the two LR shipments - I'd guess 10-15 in total - all sizes, some porcelain, some mithrax, a couple of gorillas (which I've removed).

Over the past week I've found a couple of crabs dead in the tank - no sign of a fight, or being attacked by a mantis, or anything - just dead on the bottom (or in a rock hole).

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience - maybe sometimes they just depart?

All my levels are good (0 amm, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate) - PH has been a little low post part 2, but is now back to 8.0 or so.

Anyone else find dead crabs, and/or have thoughts about causes?

Thanks,

- Michael
Old 05/05/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Michael, could they just be molts you're finding?
Old 05/05/2005, 11:51 AM
forever newbie

Quote:
Michael, could they just be molts you're finding?

The first time I saw my crab molt, I thought it was just a barenaked (shellless) crab.
Old 05/05/2005, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

This sponge is going to detach soon.

Old 05/05/2005, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

My cable for the lights, the Tunze kit will be here tomorrow. The valves were shipped, and I'm hoping they will come tomorrow also..but UPS isn't showing a delivery date yet. Supposedly it was shipped yesterday, which would mean it should get here from Ohio tomorrow. That would be great...otherwise I have to wait until Monday.
I'd like to be able to start filling the tank by the beginning of next week if at all possible.
Old 05/05/2005, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Pat that poor sponge looks like a plucked stretched chicken neck.

need some option's I've been looking at the CPR aquafuge the medium 18" is the largest that will fit my tank < sure wish I could get the bigger 24' one on their > anyway are they a waste of money?? should I just bit the bullet and look into one for under my tank. I can't find a cheep hob-overflow unless someone here can point me in the right direction they all start at about 60$ + then a return pump like a mag 3 40$ +

caught about 5 baby c-pods lastnight they are getting bigger now so i can catch them in my standard net. my little boy 3 y/o was helping me " he "held the flashlight and saying " i want to see the baby bug's " kind of hard to point out something that is the size of a pencle lead dot.
Old 05/05/2005, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

lol. The sponge has been elongating for some time now. It's only a matter of when it's going to break off.
I've read in numerous posts of people making and using what you wanted to get, so I guess they're worth while.
I believe Danielle has one...maybe she can chime in with a better opinion.