Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

moving to SoCal

Hi everybody. I just got orders to California. I am going to NAS North Island as an instructor, and wanted to know what some of the good reef clubs are out that way. Are their any stores that will hold livestock for me if I ship it to them, I don't wanna have to totally start over. I am coming from North Carolina, so I can't drive the livestock myself. Thanks for any input/.advise. Bobby
Old 08/11/2005, 12:05 PM
nothing to say here

Semper Fi zatlinrf!!

Your coming from Camp Lejeune? Well, welcome to CA,!!! Personally, I'd rather live in Jax, but hey I'm a country boy. Where is North Island? We WILL have to paint the town Scarlet and Gold when you get here. Stop by mil.com (MODF) and say hi when you get a chance.

I'm willing to bet there some stores that will hold your livestock, or possibly some reefers that will. I dont have an empty tank, other than a 10gal to use for holding, so I doubt it would be enough for all your 75 gal fish. I do however, have a huge 32 gallon Rubbermaid and a powerhead or two. If that would work, I'll hook you up. Probably not a good idea to toss em into my 180 because trying to get them out later would be a nightmare.

BTW, what are you teaching?
Old 08/11/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Live storck are cheaper and some of the stuff is better here. I say sell it and start over. Some of your live stock may not make it alive since you plan on driving it here. Its pretty hot and its going to take you like 3days to drive here.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Jarhed
I am coming from Cherry Point. (AirWing). I am a Ground Support Equipment mechanic, and I will be on Coronado Island teaching the second phase of our MOS school. I have been watching the thread with your new tank, Beautiful. I hope I can see it some time. Most of my corals are still pretty small, nothing bigger than a baseball, but they are healthy, so I don't wanna get rid of them ya know. And I have about 8 fish. yellow tang and coral beauty beeing the largest.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Raskal, I am looking for people, or stores I can ship to, since the drive would be too long. Plus, it is still kinda expensive for me to re-buy everything on a Marine Corps salary, I have really had to scrape to put all of this together as it is.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:49 PM
nothing to say here

Quote:
Originally posted by zatlinrf
Plus, it is still kinda expensive for me to re-buy everything on a Marine Corps salary, I have really had to scrape to put all of this together as it is.

Aint THAT the truth!!! Now I gotta figure out exactly why I'm trying to get BACK in the Corps!
Old 08/11/2005, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Zat,

I work in North San Diego so I'm not 100% familiar with Coronado (other than going there once). But, I'd recommend you start looking at sdreefs.com. They have a listing for all the local stores around here and their contact info. Plus, I have found that most of the reefers in SD are more than helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone to hold all your stock for you. You can also check out SDMAS.org for the SD Marine Aquarium Society.

Steve
Old 08/11/2005, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Steve, thanks for the links. I will dig into those as soon as I get the chance.
Old 08/11/2005, 12:58 PM
TRC Leader

Re: moving to SoCal

Quote:
Hi everybody. I just got orders to California. I am going to NAS North Island as an instructor, and wanted to know what some of the good reef clubs are out that way.
Bobby, the three largest clubs in So. Cal. are:
Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angles
Southern California Marine Aquarium Society
San Diego Marine Aquarium Society

You can also find more info on the smaller clubs in the SoCal Area Marine Hobbyist Clubs sticky at the top of this forum.

To Southern California

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 08/11/2005, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

I have no idea where "NAS North Island" but I have a 50 gallon QT tank with a fair bit of room, if your corals don't need MH lights. I am in Orange County. Steve
Old 08/11/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Re: moving to SoCal

Quote:
Hi everybody. I just got orders to California. I am going to NAS North Island as an instructor, and wanted to know what some of the good reef clubs are out that way. Are their any stores that will hold livestock for me if I ship it to them, I don't wanna have to totally start over. I am coming from North Carolina, so I can't drive the livestock myself. Thanks for any input/.advise. Bobby
hey shipmate, I do my drill at NAR too! Welcome to NAR....you're gonna love weather.
Old 08/11/2005, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

zatlinrf: i would start over. not worth the hassle since your move is pretty far, and you got bad timing. i'm sure you could find something you want in a month around here. i'm sure a lot of us are willing to help you out when you come. the last thing you want to think about it is while your trying to get settled in is, oh! my livestock is dying. I'm sure a good portion may not survive either, esepcially during the SUMMER!
Old 08/11/2005, 07:13 PM
Leopard in training

www.sdreefs.com is the place to help you out. good luck.
Old 08/11/2005, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Laverda NAS North Island is on Coronado Island, near San Diego. I would love to take you up on your QT tank offer. I could ship you my zoo's, leather, shrooms, xenias, GSP's. And of course some cash for the hassle.

Daphaze. I know what you mean. But if I could find someone to send my stuff to, who could hold it long enough for me to get my tank stable, it would help a lot. I am not moving till november, so I have some time to plan.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody, I am really looking forward to this assignment. After spending the last 6 months in Iraq, four years non-deployable in SoCal is gonna be great.
Old 08/11/2005, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

wow, six months in iraq?? I may be next.
Old 08/12/2005, 12:14 AM
Sannin

Quote:
wow, six months in iraq?? I may be next.
Open house on F-18's tank if they shipped his sorry buttts to Iraq
Old 08/12/2005, 12:15 AM
Sannin

zatlinrf
oh, and welcome to socal. by the way
Old 08/12/2005, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

Bobby I am about 2 hours from where you will be. You Are welcome to use the space. No cash is needed. Maybe a frag if you have something I don't have. I would not be surprised if some one in the San Diego club made a similar offer. That might be easier for you. Just let me know before you ship stuff to me.
Steve
Old 08/17/2005, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Well change of plans. My orders just got modified, so I am leaving in 1 month. I know have 1 month instead of 3 to plan and execute this cross country move. Wish me luck.
Old 08/17/2005, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Good luck and let me know if you need tank space.