Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2004, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Siphoning Water

I am about to fill my 120 up with fresh water to test for leaks in the plumbing.....I will need to run the water outside wich is ab out 20 feet away.....What do you use to siphon the water out?....I looked at the pythton siphon but they want $30 for it....Is there a way I can use a water hose to siphon it? Thanks
Old 01/08/2004, 10:41 PM
BAR Web Master

So long as the end of your hose is lower than the bottom of your tank then you could sipohon with a hose. Biggest problem could be starting the siphon. You would have to fill the hose with water in the tank, then carry one end of the hose to a drain keeping air from entering. Then, so long as the drain is low enough it should start to siphon
Old 01/08/2004, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I think Wallymart sells a siphon / vacuum hose much cheaper than that. Or stick a power head on a hose to start flow, then let it siphon out....or yeah, throw a water hose in there and suck on the other end 'till the water starts flowing...should empty it out as long as you keep the end of the hose below the water level in the tank.
Old 01/08/2004, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Yup, put one end in your tank and the other out side. Apply lips to the out sideend and suck. Presto, instant siphon.

You may think a bit about the garden hose thing. No telling what is on it. Go to lowes or HD and they sell clear plastic 3/4" tubing by the foot pretty cheap.

BTW, careful if you do this with SW. When I got my first mouthful of it I just about yaked...
Old 01/08/2004, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

I confess! I confess! I use a Rio pump! And about 6 ft of clear vinyl tubing (vinyl or vynil? I can't ever get it right), and a 5 gallon bucket, and many, many trips. Pump from Rio pump into 5 gal bucket, turn off Rio, carry bucket to bathtub, repeat n times.

If you really want to empty the last 1/2" which the Rio can't do, use your shopvac (assuming a shopvac).

Why empty the leak-tested tank fully? Just empty it by 1/3, put your equipment in, and add salt. No problem adding straight salt to an aquarium that has no life in it...

Required reading: John Tullock's books; Bob Fenner's books.
Old 01/08/2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I will be using ro/di water with the salt.....Thanks for all the quick help.
Old 01/08/2004, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

chadhender,

I did the same thing and hdtran is right. Nothing like the shopvac for what the siphon doesn't get. Took me 30 minutes to figure that out. But I am slow....
Old 01/08/2004, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

I saw one type of siphon advertised that has a little connector on it in the middle where you hook the end of a power drill to it. As you run the drill it sucks the water out.http://www.diyreef.com/shop/product_...products_id=73
Old 01/09/2004, 01:32 AM
Formerly fleetmarine79

I use a MAG 2 attached to about 20ft of vinyl tubing I got from Home Depot the hose cost me about $10 dollars total
Old 01/09/2004, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Exactly, just use one of your powerheads and put that water hose on the other end, or run a piece of "vinyl" hose from powerhead into the water hose. Don't do the syphon thing for that, c'mon people!
Old 01/09/2004, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

I used to have a waterbed and to drain it you had a little venturi device that screwed on to the sink faucet. I used a garden hose and when you turned on the water it created suction which drained the bed. I've used this before with tanks and it works surprisingly well and fast.