Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2005, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Breaking all the rules?

First of all, I'm not suggesting anyone do what I'm doing. In fact, I can't wait to upgrade to a 125 Gallon RR Tank this summer. I've been motivated to share this setup with everyone here by the last 4 visitors I've had at my home.

My current setup includes: 46 Gallon bow tank. 250 Metal Halide 20k, (2) 600 Maxi-jet powerheads.

I do not run a sump, refuge, RO/DI, Calc. Reactors... Nothing. I have no filters at all on the tank.

Here is my filtration: about 80 lbs. liverock, 3-4" sand bed. I have 3 types of macro-alge stuffed behind the rocks for pod growth and O2.

OK here are my inhabitants:
I have 2 Clarkii, 1 Mandarin Goby, 2 clams (Crocea & Derasa), 3 types of zooanthids, green star polyps (hitch hiker), torch coral, toadstool, green hairy mushrooms, blue mushrooms, galaxia, devil's hand, green sinularia, 2 feather dusters (hitch hiker), sebae anemone.

I do water changes about once per month and top off with tap water. I add about 2 teaspoons of coralvite every week as far as additives. Nobody I have shown my setup to believed that I have been running my setup this way until I open my stand and show them the only thing there is a powerstrip.

I never really thought anything of this until people started making a big deal. I have been setup for about 1.5 yrs. I just let live rock and sand sit in the tank for about 3 months before adding anything to the tank. That was fun watching things come out of the live rock alone. About 50 serpent stars or more. I then added fish at month 4. I added the goby about 2 weeks ago.

I guess I just wanted to share my experience up to this point without the use of anything but patience, good lighting, and lots of live rock as a biological filter. Maybe I'll be updating in a few months that I had a major crash but so far so good.

(Pics Removed)

Last edited by Victoly; 12/26/2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12/26/2005, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

looks like you got a little bubble algae goin' on....
Old 12/26/2005, 10:55 PM
Shai Dorsai!

Your pictures are too big.
Old 12/26/2005, 10:55 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Smaller pictures please...
Old 12/26/2005, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psy_chick
looks like you got a little bubble algae goin' on....
Id take that over hair algae thats for sure
Old 12/26/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Yeah ... I took mostmof that bubble algae out last night. Much easier than the hair alge
Old 12/26/2005, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

careful with that stuff, if it pops, you could have a BIG bubble algae goin' on....
Old 12/26/2005, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

its looks like you must be very patient, most people would have tried to overload the tank as soon as the LR cycled!
Old 12/26/2005, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Yeah ... I love adding things but I enjoy watching the little things going on in the tank like the pods and other hitch hikers. I go through spurts.
Old 12/26/2005, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

this is amazing, can you email me pics (they are removed from the thread) . any pics you have , the more the merrier.

thanks
Dave
djacob@wcgltd.com
Old 12/27/2005, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

I removed the photos... They obviously became a distraction and were not the focal point of the thread. I was just pointing out that all of the $$$ equipment has not been necessary so far.