Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 12/20/2007, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Pink Yumas

Anybody know the general lighting requirments for pink yumas? I bought a rock with 6-7 little yumas that are very very bright pink which got me all excited but they really don't look good and a couple of the smaller ones have disappeared. I have them pretty low in a 240 tall with 8-80w t-5s on 3-ice cap 660s. Everything else, including other colors of yumas look really good.

I'm just wondering if they need really dim lighting as I have never had a color like these.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I've read (forget where) that the pinks are less hardy and take higher light than other yumas. Can someone confirm this?
Old 12/20/2007, 04:19 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by John Zillmer
I've read (forget where) that the pinks are less hardy and take higher light than other yumas. Can someone confirm this?
I've had/seen plenty of pink yumas and cannot find any evidence that the color pink has anything to do with lighting. The density of the color does, but that is different. I've seen gorgeous pinks being kept under T5's and metal halides in broad view all the way down to PCs in the shade. Their "hardiness" comes from the drastic changes between what they are used to and what you're placing them in. If you got one from someone's tank and they kept it under a metal halide, then you won't want to take it home and toss it in the shade and vice versa.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

I had a problem with mine fading too. I have mine in a shallow frag tank maybe 8 inches below 2x175w MH and they really lost their color. I'm going to try moving them to a different tank with less light and see how they do,