Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 12:22 PM
sweeeet!!

Buyer beware of Oceancube78

I find myself on familiar ground again. Unfortunately. So if "Rudy" responds, and makes this situation right, I will recant and apologize. But I doubt he will as he knew what he was advertising versus what he sold.

Here is his comment to me when I asked what the heck he sent me: "actually its a mag drive 7.5 .works great use them as closed loop pumps on my 75 gallon..thanks" - Funny how he advertises one thing and sends another.

I bought a new Mag7 from Oceancube78 ( see this thread ). I paid using PayPal without an issue. He advertised one and had several for sale apparently. What I received was not a Mag 7, rather it was some sort of knock off and it certainly isn't new. It says

Also be careful because he is advertising via PM's regarding other items he can get for "cheap" - yeah cheap!! His response: "...okay i can get mag 3's forsure, quietone 4000's and quietone 2200's and some mag 5's ,heaters"...

Be a man Rudy (oceancube78), stand up and face this. Make it right, send my money back and I will return this pump. Or send me a REAL Mag 7. I don't know what you were thinking??!??

Here is a picture of a REAL Mag7 (on the left) and the one he sent me (on the right), compliments of another guy that was scammed. He also did some research and found this on the pump, "From what I can find a 750c pump is a fountain pump that will not have the head ability and flow a Mag7 does. The pumps specs are not the same."

Check this out, remember, real Mag 7 on left and Oceancube's NEW mag 7.50 on the right:

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 10/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

could it be a new model design ? show us the label on both pumps.

I never see mag pump in black color.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:41 PM
sweeeet!!

I asked for proof of authenticity or even the box it came in (since he said it was new) and no response. If it is new, where are all the other pieces that pumps like that come with?? No, this is a scam from some loser trying to take advantage.

Phyxius, if you are reading this, please post the other picture will you??

Old 10/29/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

The pumps he sent out are the Pondmaster 750c models. They are sold in the hard plastic pop out retail packaging come with a 1 yr warranty and have a hard plastic cover that goes over the intake nozzle like an Eheim model as well as some nozzles for the intake/output.
The Mag 7s come in a cardboard box with intake screen and sponge. They carry a 3yr warranty with them. I bought his pump since it was listed as a Mag7 and thats what I needed to replace mine that died. Since I have a Mag 7 impeller intake cover, impeller and base from my old pump it would work for my advantage so I would have spare parts down the road if the pump he sold me ever needed them. We all know how you can eat up impellers from the wayward snail, calcium build up or the like.
I stated that the pump he sent me was not a Mag7 but a model 750c which is another model/series. It was not the same as my plumbing was already set up for, bought as or could use my spare parts on as needed down the road. He also stated it was new and came with all the parts which from what I got did not.He insists that its a Mag7 and I do not know what I`m talking about and has refused anymore contact. I filed a dispute with Paypal and finally got a reply. He is now stating that I bought his pump only to take apart and use my old parts in? HUH? I bought a new pump to take apart and put 2 yr old parts back into??? come on. I couldn't even if I wanted to as they are not the same pumps. He changed my words around to make it look like I just wanted parts of it but luckily my PMs here on Rc show the real wording.He told Paypal he would issue no refund as I only wanted to take it apart and put my old parts into it.
I have had numerous Mag pumps over the years and they never looked like this one. I contacted Danner/Mag/Pondmaster and found out they are not the same model and the series of pump this is comes from a different model series.
A Magnetic-Drive Pump mag 7 is either series # Mag D-02527 with 18ft cord or D-02517 with 10ft cord.
The pump he sent us are - Mid-Range Pumps for Statuary
Replacement with flow control and filter screen #D-02618 with from another line of pumps

I did do my research and found out the differences on these. The line of pumps he sent us can usually be found hanging on the display shelves at HD, Lowes and Pond supply stores for pond fountains.
I just asked for a refund for the pump upon return to him since it was not a Mag 7 pump. Nothing else nothing more. I stated I needed a Mag7 and bought his as such and thats what I expected. I stated I had spare parts I could use down the road for a Mag7 and that why I bought his as listed as a Mag7. Seller has gotten real nasty about it, changed wordings to Paypal dispute and has refused anymore contact. I had to buy another NEW Mag 7 from an online retailer this weekend to replace this other model he sent me. Not sure if this model series 750C is even saltwater safe to use.

Here is a pic of the packaging as requested Mr James for the
Pondmaster 750C pump he sent us (was not sent to us this way or came with all the parts is supposed to if a new model)EDIT: Mine was sent as just the pump body in a box with newspaper packing. No intake cover like it should have if new and complete as stated in our PMs and I asked.

Mag7 pump and its packaging:

Last edited by Phyxius; 10/29/2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:42 PM
sweeeet!!

Nice job Mike, thanks for doing some serious leg work!! It doesn't matter whether you wanted the pump for saltwater or a birdhouse, He advertised a Mag 7, knowing full well what reef people use on their tanks. After he was caught, he expressed to me the it is a Mag 7.50 and "works well".

I filed my PayPal claim tonight and hope he stands up and does the right thing.

EDIT: I am afriad to use this pump in my saltwater tank. I know the history and survivability of Mag7's, not of the Pumpmaster 7.50c pumps. I am afraid to use this pump in my system. My pump arrived in a box with newspaper and noting else. Obviously not as new as Rudy claims.

There is no doubt this is a scam.

Last edited by Mr James; 10/29/2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

I know it's not right that you didn't get exactly what you ordered, but in the first pic the pump on the left isn't the MAG 7 I've ever seen. Mine looks like the one in th pic above this post...shorter. Not sure how old your MAG 7 is but they don't look like that anymore. I think the only difference between what he sent you and what you get for aquarium is the length of the powercord and I don't think the input is threaded. They are perfectly safe and I know reefers who use them because they liked the extra power cord length.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

MJAnderson,
The one on the left is a Mag7 and they do still look like that now. My other Mag pump that is 4 mths old is the same but with impeller cover mounted to the wide side. The impeller intake housing cover has been rotated and put back on to fit the pump narrow wise in my sump. It did look the the other pic above post you mentioned originally before I rotated it. Thats the beauty of the Mag 7 series that the impeller housings can be rotated and the base plates put on any side of the pump. You can see the channels cut on all sides of the pump for this. Mag pumps 2,3,5 and 7 can all do this and then the Mag9.5 and up are a fixed multiple screw design.The black pump he sent us can not be done this way. The impeller intake cover is fixed with a staggered bolt pattern and can only be put on one way. The screw holes on the top are wider apart than the bottom and the cover has matching screw holes. The base plate can only be put on one way. The way it is in the picture is the only way the pump can be used. The inpellers in the black pumps are also different from the Mag7 series pumps via part # lookup

Hope you understood the way I worded that..
Old 10/29/2007, 10:13 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by MJAnderson
I know it's not right that you didn't get exactly what you ordered, but in the first pic the pump on the left isn't the MAG 7 I've ever seen. Mine looks like the one in th pic above this post...shorter...
Mike mentioned this, maybe on the for sale post. Mag pumps can be turned to run short or tall by simply rotating the plastic intake cover. Your could run it in the 12 o'clock, 3, 6 and 9 positions. Whereas the 7.50c is fixed and has no chance of rotating.

Old 10/29/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I won't even use them in my pond anymore! I have had two and they never lasted more than 6 months. I now run mag's in my pond and saltwater aquarium. Don't put that thing in your tank. Just my exerience with the pondmaster pump, I hated them.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:19 PM
sweeeet!!

Thanks Jena, that's the info I was looking for.

Old 10/30/2007, 07:02 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

FWIW, they are in fact saltwater safe. The warranties tend to be less on pumps intended for outdoor use because of the harsh conditions, but mechanically these two pumps are nearly identical, manufactured by the same company in the same plant. Actually, pons pumps typically will provide more head pressure than their indoor equivalents as many pond installations require this. Either way, while this is a good pump you both were shipped (I know this because I sell a competing brand ) it is clearly not what was advertised and what you agreed to putrchase. I don't believe you will have much luck with Paypal, as they usually just check to see that a package was delivered. But, if you use a CC as backup to Paypal, you may be able to go that route.
Old 10/30/2007, 07:15 AM
sweeeet!!

Thanks for the techinical info SPSStoner. At least my tanks are safe.

Old 10/30/2007, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Seller sent a new PM to me this a.m saying we are just trying to make him look bad and still refuses to refund my money in exchange for the pump returned to him. Claims its a Mag7 and quote "The D--- pump says Mag7 on it" Here is a pic from the back of the pump showing different: The 750c is the black pump he sent us and the Mag7/Model 7 is the unit he claimed to be selling

RC prohibits posting actual emails per the rules but here is a reply in the wording the manufacturer sent me about the pumps.

The only difference between the mag7 and model 7 is the length of the cord the mg7 has a 10’ cord where the pm7 has an 18’ cord. The other pump you asked about (750) is a replacement statuary pump and is made and packaged differently. I hope this helps,

and

No, they are not the same the mg7 & pm7 have a 3 year warranty where the 750 has a 1 year warranty and is meant for a statue base.

Like I said in previous posts I bought his as posted Mag7 since I have parts from my old one like impeller and impeller cover down the road IF needed. I would have bought a 750c as a replacement if I had 750c parts down the road to use if needed. I just wanted what I bought as advertised and not something just made by the same company in another model series with like numbers
If I buy an X-Box 360 pro they have listed and they send me a X-Box 360 core and state its still an X-Box and says so on the package I would want my money refunded and return their merchandise also. Its not what they had it advertised as and model version..... I know bad example but in the same lines...

SPStoner,
Thanks for the info also it may help others to decide to try these pumps down the road as a cheaper alternative..I did use a CC but am trying to give the seller a chance to just do a refund and get his pump back first. Hate to see them lose on both ends of the deal.

Last edited by Phyxius; 10/30/2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:13 AM
Garbologist

The seller has been asked to reply to this thread.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/30/2007, 09:36 AM
sweeeet!!

Thank you smiller.

I cannot continue to chase this down. We have a baby due any day and my resources are stretched to the capacity. Good news for the seller, but bad news for me. I was hoping for a simple purchase as is the case with most people on Reef Central.

I am relying on the good nature of this individual to be accountable for his actions. If he is not, I will have to back out and take the loss.

Sorry Phyxius, I don't mean to leave you hanging.

Old 10/30/2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr James
Thank you smiller.

I cannot continue to chase this down. We have a baby due any day and my resources are stretched to the capacity. Good news for the seller, but bad news for me. I was hoping for a simple purchase as is the case with most people on Reef Central.

I am relying on the good nature of this individual to be accountable for his actions. If he is not, I will have to back out and take the loss.

Sorry Phyxius, I don't mean to leave you hanging.

ahem...................not trying to be mean or anything and I totally understand the stress you must be under with a baby on the way and everything BUT you just told your adversary that he has won without lifting a finger. All he has to do is .......nothing.

I suggest you ask smiler to quickly delete your post and hope the other guy has not seen it yet.

Colleen
Old 10/30/2007, 07:54 PM
sweeeet!!

I don't care, family is more important than one moron cheating people out of pumps because he can't read. I'd rather he be known as the moron who cheated us out of a real Mag 7!! He already told us that he plans to do nothing. He doesn't think he did anything wrong. With that sort of behavior, he will successfully scam me, but he probably won't be able to sell or buy a single thing around here again.

Old 10/30/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member.

wow okay well i didn't know about this thread going on till i got a pm from a moderator telling me i could be banned from selling anything here on this site... well guys here i am, dont understand why yall say im selling fake stuff to ya'll when thats what i sold what i posted, i use these on my setups and have not had one problem,,, you need to ask next time for a picture or ask something, i got at least 20-25 pm's from different people here on rc about buying these pumps and you expect me to remember all them, ive sold here pleanty times with this being the first time being threatened by members here, saying im selling fake crap and so on and so on,, the other guy didn't complain untill i accendently pmm'ed him with the wrong message, then after that he told me okay you wanna sent me those pm's , im gonna put a complaint on paypal, i was like wow.. now they are threating me like if i didn't send nothing and ran with there money, i didn't do anything wrong here and i have plenty refrences here on rc and i will continue to be here no matter what these two people say, the other guy is telling me everytime i post he's going to put warnings on my post,, goahead im going to start posting with pics now so i dont have these types of things going on! sorry all for this but i didn't steal noones money or try to sell fake taiwan stuff like i was told! just trying to get rid of a couple pumps i didn't need!!!! so yes ill be here and nothing you 2 can do to stop me from coming back here, so keep trying and please stop the threats of do this and do that because i dont have to do anything i dont want, maybe next time be nice and talk like adults and maybe ill listen, but you did what you did and now im ****ed!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:21 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by Phyxius
Here is a pic from the back of the pump showing different: The 750c is the black pump he sent us and the Mag7/Model 7 is the unit he claimed to be selling

Rudy, what do you have to say about your original post seen here:

" mag 7 forsale!

well i have a new mag7 forsale bought it but aint going to use it, will sell for $48.50 shipped anywhere in the states,,thanks all paypal perferred...."

We shouldn't have to ask if it is anything other than what you advertised. Yes, you sent a pump to us, but it was not what you advertised, (see your post above). That is why we want our money refunded and we will return the pumps. Had you said Mag 750C for sale, you wouldn't be in trouble. Do you understand where the problem is??

Old 10/30/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by WILDTHING
ahem...................not trying to be mean or anything and I totally understand the stress you must be under with a baby on the way and everything BUT you just told your adversary that he has won without lifting a finger. All he has to do is .......nothing.

I suggest you ask smiler to quickly delete your post and hope the other guy has not seen it yet.

Colleen
hey wildthing , no i wont use nothing against noone, im not that type, i simply sold the items i had for sell and shipped them and all, now they say they are not new, blah blah blah, they were new still cord wrapped and all you 2 know it, but trying to pull one on me. i would've easily tried to work something out but they just sent me crazy pm's like ii better do this and that, yeah right i did my part and sent out my pumps and i have tracking on them and all, sorry you didn't get what you thought you were going to get, but i did advertize my mag drive pumps, you can try and make me look bad but that wont stop me from selling , nothing i can do but wait and see what payupal tells me, i have my funds locked up with my sons birtday tommorrow just because of they're miss understanding of pumps...... get it straight guys!!!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member.

buyer pm'ed me stating I am convinced you don't know how to read or something. Did you see that the back of the pump you sold, it said something more than Mag 7?? It said model 750c....that a lot different than Mag 7. My four year old can read it for you if you want.

look at this pm, now would you try and help out someone talking to you like this?????DONT THINK SO
***NOTHING IM GOING TO DO PAYPAL IS TAKING CARE OF IT AS WE SPEAK WITHHOLDING MY MONEY FOR THIS TLKING TRASH GARBAGE,,, BUZZ OFF

Last edited by oceancube78; 10/30/2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:41 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by oceancube78
I am convinced you don't know how to read or something. Did you see that the back of the pump you sold, it said something more than Mag 7?? It said model 750c....that a lot different than Mag 7. My four year old can read it for you if you want.

look at this pm, now would you try and help out someone talking to you like this?????DONT THINK SO
Posting PM's is a no-no!!

Old 10/30/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member.

oh yeah well talking trash and threating people is a no-no

go ahead send me some more talking trash pm's go for it! i will ignore all of them!
Old 10/30/2007, 08:51 PM
sweeeet!!

I am open to letting the mods decide, if that is how it works. I will agree with whatever they decide.

Old 10/30/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member.

dude whats there to decide, the pump was new and is a mag drive pump, im using them right now on my tanks, the mods aint going to change my mind on what pump i have because that is a mag 7 or 7.5 or mag7.5cc what ever you said, it's a new pump works great ive had 2 of them for almost a year still truckin as closed loops , we must have different pumps here in texas than in your state, because i have different people saying two different things, some say they have your pump while others say they use the same as me! they seem to have the same out put, the new one i sent you seems to have more flow, not sure of it but it reads that, you need to decide on your own and stop trying to get other people to decide for you, you know darn well that they are going to stick up for you because you already made me look like a very bad seller when im not, im honest and ive sold plenty here on rc with this BEING THE FIRST BAD EXPERIENCE FOR ME,a mod had to pm me and tell me to respond when you could have easily pm'ed me and told me this was going on or was going to happen, now i look like a thieft and a scammer all because of this, but i learned my lesson, i will from now on post pictures of my stuff forsale so i dont have people telling me im selling fake stuff or knock off stuff when i have the same pumps on my tank!sorry all for this and im not a bad person, very nice but only so much i can handle from others till i get upset!