Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 04/13/2006, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Talking Clicking noise.

The last rock i bought was a 10 lb rock in november of last year since i moved into my new apartment in december i hear a clicking noise every few hours always in the same place all night and day. Could it be a pistol shrimp that was in the live rock? If so what would be the best way to find it or should i say to bring it out into the open so i can see it? I look every night with a flash light and i never see it but i always hear it its driving me crazy if its a shrimp i NEED TO SEE IT lol. What should i do?
Old 04/13/2006, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, could be a mantis shrimp, too.
Old 04/13/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking that to But i dont know a lot about mantis shrimp. Also I had a pink green and yellow brittle star and a orange linkia all of them i have found missing legs and half dead since i moved in december they look like they went through a blender or some thing I gave all of them to my pet store so they could save them.
Old 04/13/2006, 08:44 PM
O|||||||O

Try and put a red filter on the flashlight, or get a red light bulb for night viewing. I have read that some, if not all mantis can actually see in the red spectrum however. They are amazing creatures!!

Maybe see if you can lure it out with a silverside on a bamboo or acrylic skewer.

It'll slip up eventually, and make itself seen...and it could be a pistol shrimp too, like you said.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 04/14/2006, 12:54 AM
will work for fish food!

My first thought was mantis, but I was trying to think positive for you on the pistol, but what you describe of brittle star and lankia
sounds like the nasty works of a mantis.
They can be nasty.
Old 04/14/2006, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Hmm i also lost my porcelain crab i saw him one day and never saw him again that was a month ago but that happens i guess so i didnt think any thing about it. Im by my tank right now and i can hear a clicking every few minutes most of the time its more than one click more like a few in a row. Do the traps really work?
Old 04/14/2006, 06:58 AM
O|||||||O

Traps are really hit or miss.....when I found mine I took out the whole rock and waited for it to pop out.....it never did, so I carefully started chiseling, and found some cool stuff.

He has made a lair with the entrance masked off to look like the rock. He also had 3 ways in/out and it was like a maze of tunnels in the rock after I broke it open......pretty cool!!

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 04/14/2006, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

I recent trap idea I read about somewhere seemed pretty simple and it might be worth a try. You simply place a weighted piece of bait in the bottom of a jar and place the jar in the tank leaning against a rock. The theory here is that the shrimp/crab will slide into the jar to get he bait and will not be able to get out. Havn't tried it myself but there is really nothing to lose.
Old 04/14/2006, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
You simply place a weighted piece of bait in the bottom of a jar and place the jar in the tank leaning against a rock.
Mantis shrimp can swim. They will swim right out unless you are there to put the lid on.

Why do we drive on Parkways and park in Driveways?
Old 04/14/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkwudzjeep
Traps are really hit or miss.....when I found mine I took out the whole rock and waited for it to pop out.....it never did, so I carefully started chiseling, and found some cool stuff.

He has made a lair with the entrance masked off to look like the rock. He also had 3 ways in/out and it was like a maze of tunnels in the rock after I broke it open......pretty cool!!
I had a trap sit in the tank of many months ... the first month I baited it and then after no luck ... I just let it sit in there thinking that once the critters felt it was part of the tank I would bait it again.

Long story short ... 6 months or so later ... without using any bait I looked and found a very curious mantis shrimp caught in the trap. Next day he was shipped off to a guy form the Mantis forum that wanted him.
Old 04/14/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

-TS-Vash, when you hear the clicking sounds are they repeatedly over and over, or are there just a few clicks here and there?

If the clicking is over and over like non stop, it might be a mantis. If the clicking is only a few here and there it's probably a pistol shrimp.

Matthew
Old 04/14/2006, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

As you can see I have never had the pleasure of a mantis shrimp. Thanks rhiggsbear, good to know.
Old 04/14/2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

The clicking sounds are they repeatedly over and over But only every few hours some times. Like 10 or so in a row then nothing.
Old 04/14/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

if its a mantis or a pistol be careful. those badboys typically have a pretty nice claw with them that can split your finger
Old 04/14/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Would a mantis or pistol shrimp hurt my new gigas clam?
Old 04/14/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Also was thinking about your sea stars. Could they be losing legs and what not from the move? Maybe they just couldn't handle the stress of being moved. I know I have lost a few things everytime I have moved.

If the clicking is very rapid for long periods of time, I'm leaning more towards a mantis. The only way to really find out is to catch what ever it is with a trap.

Matthew
Old 04/14/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking it may have been them move but i just bought a yellow brittle star in feb and last week i had to give him away because his legs were holding on by a thread and i feed him frozen food every night so i know he was ok untill one day he was just messed up like a blender got him.
Old 04/14/2006, 01:10 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

take the rock out, dip it in codl freshwater, hell come out

i dipped my rocks in hot freshwater, and i found soe weird things, i see them sometimes, the yare littel clamshells, maybe 1/2 inch, and when they open they hace spiney lookign thins in them

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."