Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

dominant sps tank and.....

anyone running a dominant sps tank have any good or bad luck running chemi-clean to get rid of red slime cyano algae?? any tips todo or not todo

jeff
Old 12/05/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

bump for a response
Old 12/05/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

some say not to use it, but i did once and it worked great for me.But at that time i had a tank full of Montipora digitatas 6 different colors and they were not affected.
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/05/2007, 04:13 PM
How a relationship works

I have used it also and had no issues but the acros did not like it and slimed up that's all

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 12/09/2007, 10:33 AM
Moved On

i just did my tank,... everythign is still alive i have sps dominated.. your skimmer will go NUTs once you turn it back on..
Old 12/09/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

I did it with no problems I only used 1/2 dose of the product. I turned the skimmer off and did a 50% water change after

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/09/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I have used it in my sps dominant tank with no bad effects. Make sure to follow the instructions.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

chem clean isnt the solution to your problems,it is a band aide.you obv have nutrient problems that need to be addressed.what are you nitrates and phosphates at?reefkeeping 101"dont add what you cant test for".what kind of flow do you have in the tank,is the cyno growing in low flow areas?when i had cyno it was in lower flow zones and i just adjusted the flow to add some to those areas.you can manually remove alot of cyno and do more frequent water changes to combat it(this is my preferred method)also do you use RO/DI water and if so what is the TDS reading?
Old 12/09/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

yes as he said you have to take care or the cause of the problem. I used the chem clean to get me jump started but I changed my maint. looking for the cause and I found it. if the nutiants are still present the cyno will come back.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/09/2007, 06:09 PM
w3rd

when you guys say you find the problem, what did you do? was it a matter of exporting the excess nutrients using a good skimmer, maybe adding some type of macro algae?
Old 12/09/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzsche
when you guys say you find the problem, what did you do? was it a matter of exporting the excess nutrients using a good skimmer, maybe adding some type of macro algae?
if you have algae growth in the tank then it is safe to say you have something feeding them(phosphates or nitrates).so test both to check levels,then figure out what is the cause of the excess(lack of effective skimmer,overfeeding,too many fish,etc)then correct the problem.adding macro IMO doent really do much to lower phosphates or nitrates.we had a real good discussion on our local forum board about the usefullness of the refugium,and it seems that the fuge really needs to be the same size or larger than the display for it to be a real impact on nutrient export.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Well in my situation. I wasn't changeing my filter socks enough and the clean water was being run through all the decaying food that was in the filer sock.

Old 12/09/2007, 11:00 PM
Boomer gave me this

I'm not sure how you could have a successful SPS dominated tank and have cyano at the same time, seem's like the corals wouldn't look very good?
As far as what to do? Add more flow and rinse food better, feed better foods ( I hate the all in one stuff like formula 1 & 2 and others like it cause they have so many tiny particles the fish don't eat and i think it ends up settling and becoming the cyano food)
Make sure you have a good skimmer
Make sure you have a good RO unit
Add more flow, and make sure you have a lot of flow
Old 12/09/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

back when my tank was starting out i had some sps and then some cyano in patches i ran phosban reactor did water changes but it wouldnt go away so i dosed chemi clean and it was gone never to return... now i have a lot of sps and am not sure how much id trust doin it now but i dont think my sps would be growing and doing so well if i had cyano like said before it means there are some nutrients in the water

MASVC member