Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Genicanthus Angels

Can a female Bellus be kept together with a female swallowtail? I have heard that they can change their sex. Will they both stay female?
Old 12/08/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

I had a female Swallowtail (Blackspot) and later added a female Watanabei and they were fine together. Neither changed to male. I think you'd have to have two of the same type for them to change. HTH
Old 12/08/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

How long did you have them?
Old 12/08/2007, 10:08 PM
Our man in the East

There is no guarantee that they will both remain female.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I was hoping that they would remain female. I guess I won't be adding a female swallowtail to my tank.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:36 AM
Our man in the East

The males are beautiful as well. My male Blackspot is more striking than my female IMO
Old 12/10/2007, 08:05 PM
Reefer

I have a female bellus, a female swallowtail, one male swallowtail and two female watanabies. They have been in my tank for 2 months. They all get along fine and there are no signs of any of the females changing yet.

Joyce
Old 12/11/2007, 04:19 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I have what looks to be a female Lamarcks. I tried adding two female watanabe and it attacked them like mad.

They are angelfish, so individual attitude / personality comes into play more than anything I think.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Reefer

I added all mine at the same time.

Joyce
Old 12/11/2007, 11:09 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Macimage
I added all mine at the same time.

Joyce
Wow! That must have been some shopping day!!

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/11/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I had the Swallowtail for about 1-1/2 years and the Watanabei for about 8 months.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:38 PM
El Jefe de WRS

When the time comes, Im going to harpoon that Lamarck's though... I see him snacking on polyps here and there. Nothing serious, but it keeps my polyp extension from being as great as it could be. Im wary of trying to put a trio of bellus (I can get one male and three females for about $160) in the tank then... if they end up being nippers as well...
Old 12/11/2007, 06:19 PM
Reefer

SDGuy-Yes, it was!

I restocked my tank all on the same day. The back started to pull apart on New Years day and I lost all my fish except two. I had the maroon clown and the foxface in the 225 for 7 months by themselves. Then one day I decided to restock and added a purple tang, a powder blue tang, lyretail anthias and my new angels.

Ordinarily, I would quarantine one at a time, but I took a calculated risk, as my live sand and rock were 5 years old and the reef tank was mature and I knew it could handle the sudden bio load. I thought they had the best chance in the reef and it worked out, but I thought long and hard about restocking in that manner.

Joyce
Old 12/13/2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

I was also able to reach my hand in and pet my female swallowtail. She would just lay up on her side and let me pet her and push her around. She must have thought I was a cleaner shrimp or something...ahha

I've paired a female watanabe and a female swallowtail. At first there was a little aggression, but after a week they paired up and the larger swallowtail adopted the role of Male. They started exhibit mating behavior also. Really amazing stuff.

Girl on Girl ACTION!!
Old 12/13/2007, 06:33 AM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by s0hcsleeper
I was also able to reach my hand in and pet my female swallowtail. She would just lay up on her side and let me pet her and push her around. She must have thought I was a cleaner shrimp or something...ahha

I've paired a female watanabe and a female swallowtail. At first there was a little aggression, but after a week they paired up and the larger swallowtail adopted the role of Male. They started exhibit mating behavior also. Really amazing stuff.

Girl on Girl ACTION!!
I read your thread and thought it was nonsense. THEN I looked at the video clip. That is truly amazing!! and something I would have thought was impossible. They are definitely exhibiting Genicanthus mating behaviour. Thanks for posting.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

I keep two Genicanthus semifasciatus (Japanese Masked Swallowtail) females in my reef.

I'm hoping to document a sex change by the dominant female. I've had them a couple of months now, and will post pics if it occurs.