Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2006, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Clueless and I can't stand it anymore

About RO/DI that is. I just can't stand hauling my Homer buckets to aqua hut anymore. What is the best/easiest/way to get my own RO/DI water? Is there a way that I do not have to tap into a pipe, but can use a faucet or hose? Does it have to be permanently set up to collect water over time? Any tips and leads appreciated. Anybody have what I need for sale?
Old 07/11/2006, 01:35 PM
Moved On

you don't have to tap a pipe. I just brought a "Y" connector and attached it to my washing machine faucet . the tail part of the connector hooks to the faucet. one side of the "y" connects to the washing machine water hose and the other to my RO/DI unit hose.
chuck
Old 07/11/2006, 03:06 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

easy as pie
Old 07/11/2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

go to airwaterice and call walter. He will take care of you. If you wanted you could just connect under your sink.
Old 07/11/2006, 05:01 PM
Team RC Member

Get a spare bucket from Lowe's to collect it in.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/11/2006, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone - whether I go y connector or under the sink - it goes into a bucket, right? And I need an auto shut off valve to stop it when the bucket is full right? I checked out airicewater - looks good - any other ones to check out?
Old 07/11/2006, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Most RO units have an auto shut-off built-in. If you go the under sink route most units have a connector to the sink drain, this will eliminate the need for a bucket on the waste side. On the RO side just keep a simple 1/4" valve and fill up your water container as needed. There actually very easy to install, you'll be surprised.
Old 07/11/2006, 10:15 PM
Fish Geek

i built mine from parts. had my folks install an extra spiket right in the garage. i have a 30 gallon brute container with an float valve on it. i turn the water on and let it run over night. fills up the garbage can. if the garbage can gets full the waste water keeps running but not the ro line. thats my setup. oh i run the waste water line out the garage and into the flower bed. at least it is going to some use.
Old 07/11/2006, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

I am having the same confusion with the units. If I hook it up to the washing machine, then I can only use it when I am doing laundry?
Old 07/12/2006, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

The 'Y' adaptor is the same for a garden hose, so both the washer and RO unit can be used seperately. It looks like this.

Old 07/12/2006, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Joe qy7400,
Sounds good, but I feel stupid. When you say on the RO side, you mean coming out of the RO unit or the bucket it has been filling? I mean, it takes an hour to get 3 gallons, right? I can't just fill up as needed from the RO unit. (Did I just hear a collective sigh from everyone who can't fathom my confusion?) I've been reefing for 5 years or so, and when you explore new territory you become an instant newbie!
Boneh
Old 07/12/2006, 06:47 AM
Premium Member

Can anybody post a pic of their under-sink setup?
Old 07/12/2006, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

I don't think a pic of mine would help since I used all clear tubing but take a look here. If you look at the far right you'll see 3 colored lines. The blue on the top is the RO output side, here you can add a valve and fill as needed. The middle orange tube is the waste line and the bottom red is the tap water in.
Old 07/12/2006, 09:43 AM
Moved On

heres a crude drawing of my hookup to the washing machine faucet.

Old 07/12/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Is there a safe way to set it and forget it ? I noticed the unit in the link above has a bottle. Will it stop filling the bottle at a certain point? I have heard about setups with float switches, but I have also heard a lot of warnings about float switches failing.
Old 07/13/2006, 07:43 AM
Moved On

no you need a float switch/shut off in the collection barrel to leave it and forget it.
Old 07/15/2006, 09:35 AM
RC Staff
American

At MACNA last year, I met Marianne from Aqua FX I've been buying my replacements from her since. I am pleased with the service, and she sells quality stuff. I believe Aqua FX is the only company selling what they call a "Chloramine Blaster" which was a welcome addition to my RO/DI that is now up to 7 stages.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 07/17/2006, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

OK, I'm loaded up with ideas and it seems do-able - one more thing. A guy I know uses this

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/...d.asp?id=91814

and says he is having no problems. Comments and critiques?
Old 07/17/2006, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't think that filter does a good job removing PO4, cyano fuel, if you can get a sample tested first.
Old 07/17/2006, 03:49 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by Neurotech
OK, I'm loaded up with ideas and it seems do-able - one more thing. A guy I know uses this

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/...d.asp?id=91814

and says he is having no problems. Comments and critiques?
That's a stand alone DI. It will do the job for you, but depending on incoming water quality, you could go through those DI carts very quickly.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 07/17/2006, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

At 10 gallons a week, I figure I'd be good for at least 4 months per cartridge. I have a 54 with about 120 lbs of rock
Old 07/18/2006, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Trust me on this, I did what you are proposing and they do go fast, other times when it is exhausted you may not replace it fast enough (lazy) and water quality degrades. Get that reefkeeper from airwater ice and you will never need a better water system if you upgrade your tank. Once I set mine up, it was pure pleasure knowing I had avialable water uniterrupted for the next year before a filter might need changing.
Old 07/18/2006, 09:46 AM
Grouch Potato

Nuero, that tap water filter is total crap. I have one you can have if you want.

Make sure you get an inline tds meter. they are like $25 on ebay, and it will save you a lot of headache and money from changing filters.
Old 07/18/2006, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

OK, maybe so Pyro. I also have to figure in that in order to set up the 150 gallon cichlid tank, I am now into re-doing the whole living room. :O

jn, please condescend, as I stated I am clueless. Tell me more or refer me to where I can learn more about , how you say, "tds meter".
Old 07/18/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

The TDS meter is similar to this one. It will tell you the how well you filter is removing impurities from the water, basically when the numbers go up time to change the filters. A little deeper into TDS (total dissolved solids) can be found here .