Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

White soft corals

Are there any soft corals that are white? Years ago I bought a beautiful sinularia that was white & then over a few months it become a tan/brown color. I'm more specifically interested in the leather or tree coral types of softies.

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I've been an LPS/SPS guy for almost twenty years.

My goal is the look of a reef, but where the fish stand out as the dominant colors without the color brown being in the aquascape.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

I think the white coral you had in the past was bleached, as it got it's color back, it became healthier.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

White lemnalia and white xenia, but they are slightly pinkish, and in high nutrients water will become darker, at least mine did.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Studeriotes sp. often have a very white color. These are somewhat difficult as they are non-photosynthetic. In fact, a very white coral would have to either be bleached or simply non-photosynthetic.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Some corals can appear totally white to the eye- microscopy will show otherwise though. So yes there are some leathers that appear totally whitenot common though- but seem hardy.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

I just bought a white tree colti.Had it low in my tank started turning tan colour.Put it higher in my tank turned a nice white again.So I guess they like stonger light.Any inpute on tree colti's would be much apprecieted.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

I've a couple of awesome white Rasta leathers in the past.