Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

New Shipment at Fish Collection!

Just dropped by after golf and Wow! he got in some nice stuff last night. Thought some of you locals would like to know.

A pink elegance coral that is so pink, I thought was an RBTA at first.

Red Haddoni Carpet about 12"-14" - $300!!!!

Huge (16"-20") green Gigantea carpet

Rainbow colored open brain corals

Lots of pink palys

A monti cap w/blue body and light pink polyps. Almost looks like a superman but the polyps are lighter and its a cap type plating coral.

Lots of Acros including efflos

Some nice RBTAs and GBTAs.

Very large pink stylos.

Acan maximas orange crush color.

I think some deals could be had.

FishCollection
The corner of Rose Dr. and Yorba Linda Blvd in Placentia
behind the Burger King and Taco Bell
Old 12/15/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

phone number ?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Phone Book?

Internet?
Old 12/15/2007, 09:53 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

http://aquariumstorefinder.zoyzoy.co...mstoresmap.asp

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 12/15/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks afelder...
Old 12/15/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

fish collection is a nice store, jimmys a good guy, been doing it for a long time....
but you got to be a lawyer or a drug dealer to buy from that store because he's so expensive.....
Old 12/15/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

300 for a red carpet is not bad...
Old 12/15/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

yeah if you want to pay full retail...
Old 12/15/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

you got the hook up evad ?
Old 12/15/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

what do you need????? depends
also alhambra kind of far.....
yeah its but shops down in la called the wholesalers....
Old 12/15/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

one of those red carpets would be nice...but my tanks not ready for one yet...ill hit you up...
Old 12/15/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

lmk i definately can beat 300
more like 150-200

dave
Old 12/15/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I suggest you only buy from Jimmy, NOT from his wife.....

She always gives you at least 15% more than what you'd would get from Jimmy.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

sweet...thanks dave...
Old 12/16/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gps
I suggest you only buy from Jimmy, NOT from his wife.....

She always gives you at least 15% more than what you'd would get from Jimmy.
Thats sooo true. On time I went there and Jimmy told me a yuma was $80. I went there a couple days later and his wife said it was $125. I told her Jimmy said $80. She laughed and said no. Mind you I've been going there for years. So I left, called until Jimmy was there, and went back and got it for $80.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by evad1
yeah if you want to pay full retail...
Not sure you will find a red carpet of this size and quality for $300 very many places. Most of the maricultured acros you find at other stores for $65 and up, fish collection sells for $50. He is one of the few stores that doesn't jack up the prices because its a popular piece. His prices are based on what he pays for it.

I can get stuff wholesale too, but guess what. None of the LA wholesalers have any nice red carpets right now and you don't know when they will.

FWIW: Not sure where you go, but the last couple I have seen at Sea Dwelling Creatures and Quality Marine were going for $250-$350.

Last edited by phender; 12/16/2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

jimmy does give better pricing than the wife, but they are both cool people. i've had really good experiences with fishcollection. i'm in there all the time. jimmy will usually beat whatever pricing i find on anything.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

you guys are crazy, for example he always has a bunch of angels from juvi to large. i went in there a juvi/changing blue face angel about 2-3 inches he wanted 90 bucks..regulare retail usually is around 75 for them and wholesale on them is 30-40...i picked one up at a another lfs for 30....right down the street...then he got some true rose anenomes in he wanted 150-250...for medium size ones. and i got huge one from eyecandy for 75.00.....and at the whole salers roses are going for 35-small 70-large......
im not trying to talk ish but i think he's expensive, THATS IT...if you think your getting good deals keep on going there, i'm already sick of this thread fish collection has some nice pieces but expensive,,,,,,,hey also if you want some nice pieces at some good deals go to tongs fountain valley they are a BARGAN TOO....
Old 12/16/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Jimmy doesn't go to the wholesalers much anymore. Most of his stuff is shipped directly. His prices reflect what he paid for them. Sometimes thats a little more, sometimes its a little less than others. It also means that his selection is usually a little different than the other LFSs.

I have to admit, I don't know what his "regular" prices are, except for the acro prices he has posted. (I did ask the "regular" price for the red carpet, because I knew people would ask).
All I know are the prices he tells me and they are usually very good.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

gotta say I like it when stores post prices on the items, that way you get prices that are firm and not just who is working that day, and pricing is consistent. I also like when they are marked so I dont have to feel cheap when I ask the price of 10 different things. And have to say whoa to half the items.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigredchair
gotta say I like it when stores post prices on the items, that way you get prices that are firm and not just who is working that day, and pricing is consistent. I also like when they are marked so I dont have to feel cheap when I ask the price of 10 different things. And have to say whoa to half the items.
Precisely!

Most of the LFS do not do well because the owners don't really understand how to operate the business. Their prices are not consistent....

How would you feel, as a customer, bought a product, either a fish or a piece of coral or a dry goods from a store and then find out that another person bought a same thing at a lower price, just because s/he bought it from a different owner/employee?

People who felt being riped-off would be very hestitate to come back to the same store; and, if they do, would be very hestitate to buy again....

It may be a hobby but if you are open a business, treat it as one....

I buy whatever I could online. Not because of the lower price but because I know the exact price that i am paying for, even if I come back a week from now....
Old 12/16/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gps
Precisely!

Most of the LFS do not do well because the owners don't really understand how to operate the business. Their prices are not consistent....

I'm not sure you can lump Fish Collection into that group. They've been open for ~20 years.
I do agree about the pricing to a point. There are a couple stores(Fish Collection being one of them) that have $10, $25, $35, etc., coral tanks. All the corals in that tank are the same price. That makes shopping easier. The problem starts when they get in small numbers of unusual or high end corals that they want to display nicely. There may be 50 corals in a tank and all are a different price. They would have to price them by name. Half the people don't know the names and have to ask the price anyway, so whats the point. The other thing is that they have such a high turnover rate that they would be spending all their time putting prices on the tanks.

About the only LFSs that I can think of that does a pretty good job of keeping prices on their tanks is Eye Candy and OC Aquatics.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

I think Jimmy and his Wife are good people. He is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to spend the time to talk. I've never had any problems and everything I've ever seen there is quality.

Everywhere you go has its quirks, thats what I love about "brick and motor" and "Ma & Pa" type stores.

Having my own business, my rates vary greatly. For instance, If I know a particular customer is not going to be happy, no matter what I do, I'll pretty much tell them to go pound sand because I know that I am better at what I do than most out there. If I know that it will take me 20 minutes to explain something that I know the customer wont understand no matter how long I try to educate him, I'll include that and then some for the aggravation.
If I know that a particular customer will chase me down the street throwing money at me to "JUST GET IT DONE", he will get the killer deal, and we will both know it, no questions asked. I am too busy to "haggle", and culturally, I find it insulting.

If you get a different price from one, that is because you have a different relationship with each one. I say go with it and enjoy it.

And that red carpet is sold. ............... (IT WAS HUGE and had a nice deep red to it.)

Did you see that bright pink Open Brain in the front tank!?!
Old 12/17/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

jimmy and his wife are great people and i don't think his prices are unfair. if you go there often, he usually gives you a better deal.

support your local fish store, they have bills they need to pay so the prices will be a little higher.

if you are the type of person that always thinks about nickels and dimes, this is the wrong hobby for you. you should keep an ant farm.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I've known and shopped w/ Jimmy & his wife for ~10 years now. He's been through me w/ ALL my tanks. Definitely had a positive experience shipping htere & will continue to.