Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

8 Months in.....

Hey guys,

Found an interest in Saltwater tanks and corals about 8 months ago... and just wanted to get some advice on my tank. I was thinking for my next coral i will get a cultured frogspawn.

Coral: Bali Cultured Leather, GSP, Elephant ear mushroon, Green Mushroom, Striped Green Mushroom, Hairy Mushroom, purple mushroom, Colt, xenia, and Zoos

Fish:Lavender Tang, Hipo Tang, Vlamingi Tang, 2 black percs, 2 orange percs, Sixline Wrasse, and a 1 1/2foot long Snowflake Eel

Pic:
Old 10/30/2006, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

dude if i was you i would hold off for a while i know its a risk but i try to put more rock in there. i would suggest fully cured caribb. that seems to get color back the fastest look into it. you need 1.5 to 2 pounds per gal of live rock for a succesful reef
Old 10/31/2006, 09:07 AM
Apply within.

Nothing personal, but for 8 months in, the tank still looks really sterile. Do you clean the coralline off all of the glass? If so, that would explain part of my opinion. But, your rock doesn't have much color to it, either.

Taken any measurements lately? Test results, along with overall appearance, will give you a better idea of how things are going.

Are most of your corals recent additions? They don't seem to have multiplied / grown much. I'm not bashing you for starting out with frags / small colonies if that's what you did (heck, I did it to save money), but if they were added recently (within the last month or so), it hard to really say how they are doing. Our tank is only 6 months old and any frag we've had for 3+ months has doubled to tripled in size.

I'd also say that you're a little heavy on fish -- 3 tangs, 4 clowns. I'm guessing you're planning a tank upgrade or at least taking in those tangs once they grow up?

I do like the way your rock is set-up, especially the caves on the right side. How much rock do you have? I'm unsure what paeSona is basing the comment on about adding more rock, other than looks.

What is your lighting like? It looks like a NO fluorescent, but I can't tell for sure. If it is, I'd be hesitant about a frog spawn, unless you could get it up closer to the lighting.

Overall, I'd say it's a work in progress, much like any tank that's < 1 year old. Keep up with it and reap the rewards.
Old 10/31/2006, 01:35 PM
Registered Member.

The vlamingi alone in the 55 may be the first casualty as they need good runs to swim. and a 55 doesnt cut it.
Old 10/31/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

cant comment on the frogspawn as i too only have softies, mushrooms, and zoas... but judging by the bubbles pooring out of that CSS, you might want to check this out. there are different ways to make the mod... i made it the way i did because of limits on space inside the canopy.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=958309
Old 10/31/2006, 05:28 PM
Chillin'

Everything looks like it is in good condition. Eventually the tangs will need a larger aquarium IMO just a good excuse to upgrade

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 11/01/2006, 12:15 AM
It Aint Easy

Quote:
Everything looks like it is in good condition. Eventually the tangs will need a larger aquarium IMO just a good excuse to upgrade
Agreed. The tank looks good though.