Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2005, 09:53 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by AIMFish
[B] I have larger pics if anyone wants some.
Aim, I want some for real! I'll start a thread later of what I have to trade and when spring rolls around. maybe I can temp you into a trade? I know I have something you don't!
Old 12/10/2005, 06:02 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by Seahorsewisprer
maybe I can temp you into a trade? I know I have something you don't!
It won't take much tempting and you have alot I'd want More pics coming later after I resize and crop for size requirements
Old 12/10/2005, 06:38 PM
Nothing original for now

I resized and cropped the pics from today and these are the 4 best. 2 showing roots for Samala, 1 showing my test battle between algae and mushrooms , and one showing a clown inspecting so you can get an idea on the size of it. Anyone have any more info on this plant? I have wider tank shots showing how dense it grows, the 3rd pic shows it pretty well tho, but I can't resize them to stay under limits.
Old 12/11/2005, 08:51 AM
Moved On

Those roots appear to be holdfasts...

I really love that term! Holdfasts. Very simplistic, but so appropriate with some algae.

Aim, this is really a gorgeous macro! I have around 14 different types of macros. How can I talk you into a trade?

Maybe we should start a new thread with what we need to get around the country?
Old 12/11/2005, 12:40 PM
Nothing original for now

Cold weather has been mentioned a couple of times so I figured that it would be a couple of months 'til the algae mailing gets goin?!! I was trying to be patient but you keep teasing
Old 12/12/2005, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

AIMFish, did you find any other tang that would eat the C. webbiana?

Seahorsewisprer, I manage to get "a cup a day" but its very light in color, so I'm still strugling to get more junk out of the water.

Vidar
Old 12/12/2005, 04:12 PM
Sea cowgirl

Aim.. I think I found your plant.. Caulerpa verticillata. The shot from above reminded me of a pic in one of my books.. it doesnt show the fine detail you've given us here. Here's the algaebase pic. I'd love some eventually myself.

I have a feeling you two might have different species of Caulerpa. Have you tried rabbitfishes Elfa? (Siganus or Lo sp. I think they are..)

>Sarah
Old 12/12/2005, 04:25 PM
10 & Over Club

Yep. C. verticillata.

Indestructible, fast growing, invasive, unremovable due to the tiny rhizomes, and apparently doesn't taste too hot.

Having had it in my tank for better or worse for 7 years, I would not recommend anyone trying it. At one point, I scrubbed all of my rocks and left them in a light proofed tank for more than a year to see if I could kill it. As soon as it saw light, the beast returned.

Two things seem to eat it. Rabbitfish and long spine urchins. Neither are able to erradicate it.

Mike

Old 12/12/2005, 07:40 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by elfa
AIMFish, did you find any other tang that would eat the C. webbiana?
2 foxfaces ate on it,(Lo vulpinus and Lo uspi) the Yellow Tangs, an Orange blue line (I can't decide between a Ctenochaetus striatus or Acanthurus Nigroris), Convict Tangs nibbled (Acanthurus triostegus). We are finding out tho that my algae is different If you had access to any of these tangs or foxfaces break a piece of your algae off and take it to them to see if they like it before you buy one.
Quote:
Originally posted by Samala
I have a feeling you two might have different species of Caulerpa.
Now I wonder if a cross Atlantic trade is possible?!!! Thanks for the ID Samala. I plan on bringing some home so when spring comes around I'll have enough to harvest out for everyone wanting some
Quote:
Originally posted by sculpin
Indestructible, fast growing, invasive, unremovable due to the tiny rhizomes, and apparently doesn't taste too hot.
Sweet, time to take it to the 700 and try it on the Naso and Sailfin
Quote:
....... I would not recommend anyone trying it.
You must not know what forum you are in Now everyone will want some for sure

Last edited by AIMFish; 12/12/2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12/13/2005, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks AIMFish
I'm not sure how to do a cross atlantic shipment without spending a fortune. If you find a solution, I can naturally send you some.
I guess I have to bring some algae to the LFS and try it out in order to find a suitable fish. My present tank does not allow a very big fish e.g. Lo vulpinus can get big and its not allways reefsafe.

Vidar
Old 12/13/2005, 08:43 AM
Moved On

A Cup a day? I love Calfo! He is soooo cute! I went to dinner with him one night. I think he ordered shrimp? Incredibly nice man, I will always be a groupie of his.

Tell if I have the nutrient poor theory right: If the symbiotic algae is starving, it's mass will be less, thus allowing the color of the coral to show through? So, nutrient poor is better because the corals will have a better color?

I know the reefer heads push for ultra nutrient poor systems but there are new ideas coming out about providing an environment with some nutrients available for the growing cells. Not only the greenage you see, but the phyto and zoo plankton, the symbiotic algae inside the corals and the coral cells themselves.

Another thing to consider: If you are not adding the equivalent of a cup of DOC, it will be hard to pull out a cup of DOC! Nutrients out cannot outweigh nutrients in, IMO.
Old 12/13/2005, 10:19 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
You must not know what forum you are in Now everyone will want some for sure
Well, the problem with this stuff is that once you have it, you're never rid of it and it aggressively overgrows anything in it's path, including other plants/algae. There are a lot of other things worth growing, including other Caulerpa's, that don't try to off all of their neighbors via overgrowth. I would be hesitant to start a culture of this stuff.

If you want an aggressive grower that is easily controlled, why not try Hypnea cervicornis? It's a bunch forming multibranched red which is fairly easily cultured and irresistible to fish. In fact, its one of the best ways to get difficult feeders started in a tank.

Mike
Old 12/13/2005, 11:56 AM
Moved On

I have that, maybe. It was a bit purple, now it is more red. Mine is growing slowly, though. Do you think hermits eat it? I have a few tiny ones in my planted.
Old 12/13/2005, 04:43 PM
10 & Over Club

Possibly. I seem to recall some crab varieties eating it.

Fish definitely do. Tangs of any genus will wipe the stuff out in minutes.
Old 12/13/2005, 10:10 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
If you want an aggressive grower that is easily controlled, why not try Hypnea cervicornis?
Talk like that will have people hitting you up for trades I guess you grow it in a seperate(tang free) tank and if so what lights and setup is it growing quick w/? TIA, Chuck

Last edited by AIMFish; 12/13/2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12/14/2005, 08:40 AM
10 & Over Club

Like many marine plants/algae it's response to conditions seems variable. However, bright lights (possibly leaning towards the bluer end of the spectrum) and fairly clean water seems to encourage growth.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:01 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
... bright lights (possibly leaning towards the bluer end of the spectrum) .....
I was wondering why others haven't mentioned using more blue. I started running actinics on FW plant tanks after reading that more blue end of the spectrum encourages "bushy" growth.
Old 06/28/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Has there been any more studies trying to find what eats this stuff or multiple things that can be placed in the tank to rid it of this nuisance algae?
Old 06/29/2006, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

I still have it in my tank My sailfin tang eats it only just after I have pruned it.
It looks like it helps a bit to adjust the skimmer so it produces more and light skimmate. I'm currently working on a new an much bigger skimmer for my new tank. Hopefully that wil cure the problem.

Vidar
Old 06/29/2006, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Yes please IM me with your progress. I have to noticed that when I wet skimm it seems to lighten up just a little bit.

Mine has taken over the whole tank, but I am glad that I found out the this was a hitchhiker and not something I brought on.

I will keep the post up to date on the prgress of removal.
Old 07/01/2006, 06:51 PM
Nothing original for now

I'm having a harder time growing it now that I have other algaes going in the same system. It appears to easily be out competed for nutrients.
Old 07/05/2006, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

well I would have to say why is my chaeto growing great in my fuge then and still this algae grows in the main tank.

I have noticed a little decreases in its grwoth with wet skimming and manual extraction. thisis time consuming but worth it.

If anyone wants any of this stuff please IM me.

Thanks