Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2005, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Caulerpa webbiana ???

Hi

I have identified this algae to be Caulerpa webbiana do you agree?

This algae is growing wild in my tank and I'm gathering info on it gain control.

Vidar
Old 12/07/2005, 06:40 AM
Nothing original for now

Holy cow I think that's what I have but keep forgetting to take pictures of!!! I'll get a close up today. It's at the store and I'm the only one that loves it. I keep it pruned to one corner of the tank, most think it's hair algae until they get closer and look. I'm determined to get people into (enjoying and buying) some type of plant tank instead of just fish or reefers!!
Old 12/07/2005, 12:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by AIMFish
. I'm determined to get people into (enjoying and buying) some type of plant tank instead of just fish or reefers!!
'

I like this guy!
Old 12/07/2005, 01:45 PM
Sea cowgirl

Looks very very close, there arent many Caulerpas that have that fuzzy, strange sort of growth in their fronds so I dont think there are many candidates to start with. Very interesting.. I think thats the first I've seen of it in the hobby.

As with many Caulerpas, if you decide not to keep this rare macro, control through manual removal, try to keep nutrient level as low as possible.. this may spark a sporulation event so pull out all the available green you can see first and then get aggressive with skimming, etc. I think its pretty though.

>Sarah
Old 12/07/2005, 08:02 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by Samala
.....pull out all the available green you can see first and then get aggressive with skimming, etc. I think its pretty though.

>Sarah
Are you suggesting he kill it? I took some pics today but they didn't turn out good. Either way if anyone wants some I have more than enough to spare, I just need to learn some algae shipping procedures.
Old 12/07/2005, 08:47 PM
Moved On

Maybe we could get a trade going? I think I have around 14 species!

I would love some! It is gorgeous...
Old 12/07/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

if anybody is pondering shipping stuff around i would also be interested in getting in on trades.

-eleodes
Old 12/07/2005, 09:56 PM
Sea cowgirl

Aimfish/Chuck.. well.. he did say he was interested in info on how to control it... personally I like it, but Caulerpa's are aggressive little things, and quick to spread, not too tasty and can be a nightmare to aquarists whose idea of a good tank isnt bright green and full of macros.

Wish I could help with trades.. I only have C. prolifera to send out to people right now.

>Sarah
Old 12/07/2005, 10:11 PM
Nothing original for now

Yellow Tangs love it. I received it from a customer who had it in a 15 or 5, can't remember which. I pinch clumps out and drop it in w/ the Yellow Tangs and they slurp it up like spaghetti
Old 12/07/2005, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

i have some stuff that i could trade. but i keep having cyano problems, so it's sort of messy.

it's also super cold weather here.
Old 12/07/2005, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

oh and i see that elfa lives in Sweden........probably even colder there.
Old 12/08/2005, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Hi
Thanks for all the answers
First a geographical lesson Oslo is the capital of Norway
At present it about 0 degC and snowing.
I guess it would be difficult/expensive to send it to the US from Norway. This algae has taken over after the ordinary grape caulerpa and razorblade caulerpa I had before (still have some small patches).
I have a sailfin surgeon but he/she does not like it, it is only interesting just after I have trimmed it. I'm not very found of the yellow surgeons. It looked extremely clumsy compared to my now late chelmon and they where constantly fighting.

Any other surgeon that would eat it?

I'm constantly trying to improve my skimming, reading Anthony Calfos suggestions in "improved skimmer performance".
I have a home/custom made skimmer so I have to understand the theory of skimming to get peak perfomance, since no body else has this skimmer.

Vidar
Old 12/08/2005, 08:49 AM
Moved On

"A cup a day"?
Old 12/08/2005, 08:52 AM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by elfa
Any other surgeon that would eat it?
I'll pull some out and drop it in aquariums w/ other tangs and see who goes for it. For everyone paranoid about me being an idiot and spreading a potential nuisance algae, if there is such a thing , the tangs are on seperate systems, no need to worry about corals or polyps getting covered. Besides if they were smart enough they would move!!
Old 12/08/2005, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

ha ha. i just revealed myself as another geographically impaired American--or maybe just that i'm getting old and can't remember anymore.

it's been down to about -15 C here and snowing also.

Last edited by eleodes; 12/08/2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12/08/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

i have been making some interesting observations while using a sea urchin (Arbacia punctulata) to clean hair algae from live rock. i mean to start a thread and post some pictures.

they really devour any kind of greenery that you put in with them. however, they wouldn't be too compatible with sessile invertebrates.
Old 12/08/2005, 11:21 PM
Nothing original for now

Here's the best closeup I got tonight. I couldn't find any pics of webbiana on the web so is this really webbiana?
Old 12/08/2005, 11:26 PM
Nothing original for now

I need to pay so I can post bigger pics!! Here's one w/ a hermit investigating. This helps show how small it is too. It grows really dense and as I have mentioned appears to be hair algae at first glance.
Old 12/09/2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

that is awesome! do you have any extra for trade?
Old 12/09/2005, 03:23 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by eleodes
do you have any extra for trade?
I plan on bringing some home and messing around w/ it a little more (remove mind from gutter ) I'll make a thread after Christmas and things start settling back down and see who all wants some.
Old 12/09/2005, 03:31 PM
Sea cowgirl

It looks like Cabomba, a freshwater plant! Thats very interesting. What do the root/rhizoid system look like? I havent seen anything like that in my books.

>Sarah
Old 12/09/2005, 03:46 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by Samala
It looks like Cabomba, a freshwater plant!
The close up does look like that! I've been calling them holdfasts but I'm probably wrong, I need a site w/ definitions!! They are crazy strong and when I pull pieces out they hold on and bring the substrate w/ them. I'll try to get a close up of them for you tomorrow.
Old 12/09/2005, 06:21 PM
Moved On

Looks incredibly FW!
Old 12/09/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

that's what i thought too, but ther eit is with the hermit crab. could it be a freshwater plant that makes it in saltwater?
Old 12/09/2005, 07:35 PM
Nothing original for now

Trust me it's SW!! It is tiny tho. I have larger pics if anyone wants some. The pic w/ the hermit crab shows the scale a little but it grows really short maybe only 1" tall. It spreads just like other caulerpa, racemosa, send me a PM and I'll email you a larger pic or 2. Oh and did anyone find a good pic of webbiana on the web. None I have found have good pics like http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/g.../algaepage.htm .