Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2005, 05:05 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Wierd algea, Need ID

I posted this in the Anthony Calfo fourm, Does anyone know what it is?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=685476
Old 10/10/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bro,
I believe that algae is called Padina.
hth
Joshua
Old 10/10/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the common name is scroll algae. I see it in the Florida Keys all the time. If you like the looks of it - it is a good macro to get. Usally comes as a hichhiker on live rock. Hard to find in the stores as a whole specimen.

Gene
Old 10/10/2005, 05:06 PM
Sea cowgirl

And.. if you dont want it.. I'll drive right over and remove it free of charge. Seriously though..

>Sarah
Old 10/10/2005, 06:26 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Thanks guys, It came as a hitch hiker on a piece of Fiji LR. I suspect I would have more in my main tank but my snails and hermits keep my algea at 0. The only way for it to grow is in the refugium. I will start selling some as soon as it gets larger or spreads to other rocks.
Old 10/11/2005, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

You may need to do some trial shipments before selling. Small bits attached to live rock seem to grow out well but trying to ship a whole specimen may prove difficult. The only way to know is shipping some yourself unless someone else has had expereince happens upon this thread.

I will try collecting some the next time in the Keys. First I'll see if they transport well in my car. Then I'll try sending some to Sarah through the mail. Meanwhile this thread maybe long gone and lost.

Hmmm, we may need a sticky on collecting, shipping and environmental concerns for plants & macros.

Gene

The last batch I sent to Sarah didn't make it so hopefully I learned something from that. Good thing she didn't ask for it.