Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2005, 03:39 PM
Moved On

Yeah I have no idea what a molly miller blenny.

Now if you would have said a Anelina Jolie blenny or Jennifer Aniston blenny I would have known what you were talking about
Old 10/14/2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey pbarrett,

What kind of lights do you have & how old are the bulbs?

Cliff
Old 10/25/2005, 06:21 PM
Moved On

Cliff, I have this in multiple systems with all different lighting. T-5s, HQIs, MHs. And I did go buy a lawnmower and a sea hare and neither like the stuff. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old 10/25/2005, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

I have some small starfish (not brittle stars) and I think they MIGHT be eating the stuff, but it's hard to tell.

I agree, it would be great if we could find out if something eats this stuff.

steve
Old 10/25/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Unfortunately, my lawnmower blenny has been unsuccessful with the red cotton algae as well. Tomorrow, i will bite the bullet and resort to all hands on rockwork. Nothing too drastic, just a little manual removal. Hope i dont make matters worse.
Old 10/26/2005, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Just turn off all your pumps! I've found that each time I do a harvest it spreads as small bits of it catch elsewhere in the tank and away it goes...

Good luck.

Steve
Old 10/26/2005, 09:11 AM
Moved On

Do you have other, stronger macros growing in your fuge/sump? I had some of this carpet stuff before my fuge grew outta control.

I found that it quickly went away when I made conditions right for the macro in the sump.

I was kinda bummed 'cause I had it in my planted seahorse tank and it looked cool! My tangs must have controlled it the other tanks. It turns out to be one of the more delicate algaes in my system.
Old 10/26/2005, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

My tangs like to chomp on it and then spit it out so it can be spread throughout the tank. They clearly don't eat it, for if a small bit is in the water column, they'll mouth it, but then spit it out.

This stuff gets caught on the several macro algaes I have growing in the DT (and fuge) and it grows on the macros too. My phosphates and nitrates are undetectable (Salifert) The stuff isn't out of control, but I fear that's a "yet" statement, for it is spreading, including on the rocks at the base of thick acros where trying to get at it to remove it is all but impossible -- yes, I've used tweezers.

I even removed a couple of rocks from the tank last week to scrub the patches of the algae, but I notice today the stuff is growing back evev where I had been scrubbing. Bottom line is that most of my rock is not removable given the stony coral growth in the tank -- even the two rocks I removed had across attached.

Ah, I guess I just add algae farmer to my list of tasks each week
Old 10/26/2005, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seahorsewisprer
Do you have other, stronger macros growing in your fuge/sump? I had some of this carpet stuff before my fuge grew outta control.

I found that it quickly went away when I made conditions right for the macro in the sump.

I was kinda bummed 'cause I had it in my planted seahorse tank and it looked cool! My tangs must have controlled it the other tanks. It turns out to be one of the more delicate algaes in my system.

Interesting thought. I'm going to thin my fuge tonight.
Old 10/26/2005, 10:53 AM
Moved On

Ssheipel, this is going to sound really crazy and I was born blonde, so it's just something to think about, ok?

Some of the stronger macros grow much better with some level of the basic algae requirements: NO3,PO4, FE. If one is lacking, they don't grow as well as they could. Granted, they do compete for available nutrients, when they become available, but if the available nutrition is sparse, they will grow slowly.

On the other hand, some nuisance algaes can "fix" elements better than the macros, even if one element is missing. I know when my NO3 is low, and my PO4 is up, cyano will bloom. When I fix it right for the macros and plants, the cyano is gone within a day.

OK, here's the crazy part: Some greenage growers actually add NO3, PO4 and FE! I don't add no stinkin' PO4, I just give my fish a fiesta when the PO4 gets low. But, I do add NO3 rarely, and FE frequently.

Just something to consider. You are at the crazy talk forum!
Old 10/26/2005, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Suzy, that makes a great deal of sense, but I'm not about to add phosphate or nitrate to my tank either (e.g. fertilize my algae) -- and they are low, precisely because of the algae growths -- I don't use any nitrate or phosphate "sponges" or media. I also very heavily feed my tank. I will feed more though -- my fish will love your idea

Rainchief -- my red fuzzy algae LOVES flow -- grows very happily in the flow path of my Tunze -- which is yet another way it breaks loose and gets spread.

Oh and it grows direcly under the MH lights AND also in the deep shade under rocks.

I fear it's not algae but the spawn of the devil

steve
Old 10/26/2005, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I have it, only in 3 spots in my fuge where there is some high water flow.

I have been removing it with a turkey baister
looks like Red cotton
Old 10/26/2005, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Like "red cotton." That's it. I am going to use a siphon to try removing it next.
Old 10/26/2005, 04:53 PM
Moved On

Hmmm, mechanical filtration is one idea.....

Adding NO3 is a relatively new idea, so new that Kent doesn't even have a SW product yet! I think they will soon, though. Those guys are the king o' marketing! I'll bet we'll have to do some detective work to find out when they do! They will come up with a radical name to make us think it's something cooler than NO3!

You should wait 'till one of the big wigs recommends it!

I still wish I could have it back....it was just like a carpet for my planted tank, added color..

Good luck!
Old 10/26/2005, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

It's actually beautiful, yes. That's the reason when I bought a coral on a LARGE rock and spotted the algae I didn't eradicate it -- how bad can it be I thought, as I have several macros in the tank.

But not it's a RPITA to harvest and it's only getting worse a task as the it spreads.

And very funny re: Kent not even having the additive yet

steve
Old 10/26/2005, 06:38 PM
Moved On

They do make a FW version that works in SW...
Old 10/29/2005, 09:13 AM
Moved On

Well my Sea Hare has just developed an appetite for the red algae. Just before I was going to move him in to another tank where I have regular algae. So I would look into sea hares.
Old 10/29/2005, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

That's encouraging... let us know if he was snacking or finishes the meal!

steve
Old 12/05/2005, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

It may be Asparagopsis taxiformis.

Here is one article I found.

Article

I've got a ton of it in my basement fuge, I tried fighting it and still pull some out on occasion. I've reached the attitude now that if it's growing like crazy in the fuge and there's none in the main display upstairs, the system is working. I don't really like it growing in the cheato though, so when I harvest the cheato, I try to pull clumps out that have the red hair in it. I'm afraid that if I go all out and remove every sign of it, it will come back everywhere I don't want it.
Old 12/05/2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Carlisimo:

That's it! Great article, thanks!

Now to find some Pacific Turbo snails.
Old 12/05/2005, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Red algae

Who has old lights in their sump?
My PC light is old...that could be the cause? Or at least a contributer.
Old 12/05/2005, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I switched from verrrry old bulbs to new 6500k bulbs a month back, and the cheato does much better but I think the red hair is doing just as well...