Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2005, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation MY chaeto is dying (or going sexual??!)

My chateo used to be tough like brillo pad but now it is turning white and it feels like overcooked angel hair pasta. The red gracillaria in my fuge seems to have taken root and seems fine. My water parameters are all fine:

ph: 7.9 - 8.3
temp: 77-82
salinity: 1.025
Mg: 1200+ mg/L
Ca: 390-430 mg/L

miracle mud in fuge - the high iron content seems to help the red gracillaria grow quickly, but the chaeto is not a rooted algae and I wonder if it is starving for something. Or maybe it has a plant disease?

There is some red slime in there but it is not overgrowing.
Old 01/02/2005, 07:35 PM
Will work for corals

Well i dont have much to tell you except that I believe Cheato does not go sexual. So its something else.
Old 01/02/2005, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

can red slime or other cyano or algae release chemicals that could harm it?

I figured it wasn't sexual. I may decide to just go with a variety of caulerpa and gracillaria instead. I think I will definitely have to dump out the chaeto if it keeps declining like this.
Old 01/02/2005, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

i should add that this is in an ecosystem 3616 which is about 40g. There is 40 lbs miracle mud and the flow looks to be about 1100-1200 gph through the fuge.
Old 01/03/2005, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Algae needs 2 things to grow - food and light. I don't know how much food (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & phosphates) are in your system but the fastest growing plant (chaeto, caulerpa, gracillaria, coraline algae) will/can use all the food before other, slower growing plants can.

For chaeto, caulerpa and gracillaria, the more light the better. Some people use their old MH bulbs and have fantastic growth.

I have had chaeto, mangroves, ulva, caulerpa (2 varieties) and gracillaria growing in my system at one time. I say had, since the gracillaria wasn't growing fast enough (to feed to my tangs) so I removed it and ulva to a special grow out tank for food. The chaeto, mangroves and caulerpa (now 1 variety) grow very slowly - some in the sump/grow out tank and some in the refuge tank.

I am using the lights recommended here - http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=313318 I plan on putting my old MH bulbs over the sump/grow out tank. That should make a big difference in lighting.

My chaeto has never gone white - I have had it decrease in size due to being eaten by worms/pods, etc. Usually, when plants go white, it is a lack of light but since your gracillaria is growing, I'm not sure that is a problem.

Vickie
Old 01/03/2005, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Wouldn't an Iwasaki 6500k be a better fuge light? Or maybe a hamilton 10k?
Old 01/03/2005, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjvl51
Algae needs 2 things to grow - food and light. I don't know how much food (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & phosphates) are in your system but the fastest growing plant (chaeto, caulerpa, gracillaria, coraline algae) will/can use all the food before other, slower growing plants can.

For chaeto, caulerpa and gracillaria, the more light the better. Some people use their old MH bulbs and have fantastic growth.

I have had chaeto, mangroves, ulva, caulerpa (2 varieties) and gracillaria growing in my system at one time. I say had, since the gracillaria wasn't growing fast enough (to feed to my tangs) so I removed it and ulva to a special grow out tank for food. The chaeto, mangroves and caulerpa (now 1 variety) grow very slowly - some in the sump/grow out tank and some in the refuge tank.

I am using the lights recommended here - http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=313318 I plan on putting my old MH bulbs over the sump/grow out tank. That should make a big difference in lighting.

My chaeto has never gone white - I have had it decrease in size due to being eaten by worms/pods, etc. Usually, when plants go white, it is a lack of light but since your gracillaria is growing, I'm not sure that is a problem.

Vickie
I wonder if the 10k PC lamps that come with the Ecosystem are not strong enough - ah I doubt it.
Old 01/08/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Wait a minute. I was just about to post a question about this. I have chaeto in my sump with a 20W flourescent in my tank and my chaeto is getting nothing but smaller. Is this not enough light?
Old 01/08/2005, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

what kind of light and what color temp? how big is the sump?
Old 01/08/2005, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

20 watt standard all glass aquarium flourescent light. The kind that comes with every fish tank.
Old 01/08/2005, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woodstockaz
20 watt standard all glass aquarium flourescent light. The kind that comes with every fish tank.
ok, but what is the color temp of the bulb you are using? It should be around 6500k for growing plants. I just checked the bulbs on the pc lamps on my Ecosystem and they actually are 6500k. I still cannot find replacements for them on the net.
Old 01/08/2005, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

normal output flourescents at 20W might not be enough - but it all depends on the size of the tank you are using.
Old 01/09/2005, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

I'll try a 10k bulb or a nutrigrow freshwater bulb.
Old 01/09/2005, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

try to find a 6500k or even a 5100k.
Old 09/28/2005, 06:13 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

No miracle mud in mine but I use those HD lights, 2 of htem, plus one LoA fixture in teh middle. My fuge is an AGA 75. Nasty turf algae is growing in the tank, but my chaeto is turning white.

Any ideas anyone?

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 09/28/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Don't need MH to grow Cheato. I am using floodlight from homedepot and it costs like $8. I light it 24/7 and my cheato grow very fast from a hand full to almost like basket ball size in just two weeks.
Old 09/29/2005, 02:49 PM
Team RC Member

Do you test your nitrates? Perhaps the chaeto is nitrogen starved. Iron limitation is also a possibility. Phosphate limitation is unlikely unless you run a phosphate remover heavily.

Kevin
Old 09/29/2005, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

I just added even more fuge lights and they are starting to grow a *little* faster now. But still kinda slow. I have never had to harvest any algae since my tank started 9 months ago. I have 11 fish and I only have an ASM G3 skimmer so I have no idea why the algae is not going crazy. Maybe the DSB is converting all the NO3 to N2 before the plants can get to it.
Old 09/29/2005, 08:35 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

mine tested 20

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 10/08/2005, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Once I started periodic small iron supplementation, the chaeto got really healthy.
Old 10/08/2005, 06:23 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

how much, how often. it's helping mine but wonder ho reg to dose

Old 10/08/2005, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

I dose very little, very unscientifically, whenever I happen to remember.

I think not changing my water results in nearly iron-free water. Saltwater should be iron-poor, but not iron-free. But it really needs very little IMO, and too much could be a lot worse than too little.

Do you change your water regularly?
Old 10/08/2005, 06:52 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

sort of. i htink i had a bad batch of io. but do at least 15% once a month.