Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/21/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I think the TEK is going to spank it if the acrylic shield is not used on the TEK. If they are both tested with the acrylic splash shields in place and they have both been allowed time to warm up, I wouldnt be surprised if it was close, either way.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

what if you took the shield off of the Nova?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lowfi
what if you took the shield off of the Nova?
Well, the shield itself drops output a few percentage points but I was referring to the heat issues. The Nova is fan cooled and the fan cooling in my original extreme was better than decent so I dont think that the output difference would be too signifigantly lower with the shield on vs. off beyond what par you lose due to acrylic itself.
But, the TEK is not fan cooled and they notoriously do lose a signifigant amount of par from heat build up when the shield is installed.

So, with the shield off of both the Nova and the TEK, I think the TEK will spank the Nova. As long as the shield is removed from the TEK, I dont think the Nova has a chance, with or without the shield on the Nova. IOW, I dont think the shield on the NOVA will make a huge difference. But with the Shield on the TEK, I think it will be interesting. We'll see. I could be way off.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Hmm when do you think the test will be done? I heard that the TEK screws rust, this true?
Old 12/21/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea about the details Grim and moprint worked out for testing. I guess Grim would have the best idea regarding when he will be able to get it done.

I dont know anything about the TEK screws rusting or not rusting.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

The screws on the Tek rust, mine did in about a month. The same thing happened to my Reef Optix 3 Reflector (also Sunlight Supply) the screws rust up, but the both the Reef Optix and the Tek the fixture itself has not rusted.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I sent Grim my fixture Wed. I havn't tracked it to see when he will get. With Christmas next week I don't know when he will be able to do the test. This part of a whole system ugrade for me so I told him whenever he could around to it. Grim or I will keep you updated on the test and results.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

sweeeet
Old 12/21/2007, 03:50 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Not sure when it will arrive. I assume after Christmas, I will get to it next week if it gets here.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
Well, the shield itself drops output a few percentage points but I was referring to the heat issues. The Nova is fan cooled and the fan cooling in my original extreme was better than decent so I dont think that the output difference would be too signifigantly lower with the shield on vs. off beyond what par you lose due to acrylic itself.
But, the TEK is not fan cooled and they notoriously do lose a signifigant amount of par from heat build up when the shield is installed.

So, with the shield off of both the Nova and the TEK, I think the TEK will spank the Nova. As long as the shield is removed from the TEK, I dont think the Nova has a chance, with or without the shield on the Nova. IOW, I dont think the shield on the NOVA will make a huge difference. But with the Shield on the TEK, I think it will be interesting. We'll see. I could be way off.
youre right, it could go either way. its all going to depend on how the fixture is used. the TEK obviously has a good reputation built up, i wouldnt be surprised if it performed better and had higher PAR output. i guess it just comes down to how much you want to spend, given the TEK is going to run about $100-$150 more. on a 16"-18" tall tank though, im betting the nova is more than adequate. if i had a taller tank i might have gone with the TEK because the light penetration is probably better with the true individual reflectors. im interested to see the results.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Not sure when it will arrive. I assume after Christmas, I will get to it next week if it gets here.
What the hell do I know, It just showed up. Should get to it this weekend
Old 12/21/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

hells yeah
Old 12/21/2007, 04:24 PM
Charleston Reefer

Awesome, can't wait for the results.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to both mo and Grim for working together--mo donating use of new fixture and shipping $, Grim donating time and effort!
It's people like you that make the hobby easier for the rest of us.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Yeah no kidding! Thanks you guys!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Member since 2001 this is so good, I've got to make my first post and thank you both. Thanks
Old 12/22/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

i can't wait no more thanks guys !!!!
Old 12/22/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

patience young grasshopper
Old 12/22/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Very nice! This looks very promising esp for the price!
Hey Siwelk is there anyway you could get a better pic of the reflector? Maybe take some of the bulbs out and snap some pics?
Old 12/23/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

sure celano, ill snap some pics tomorrow after i pick up some new batteries for the digi cam while im out doin some last minute xmas shopping.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

hey guys im going to bye this ficture (nova extreme pro 48''),but i told to change the original t5 lamps for giesmans and he charging me about 10$ extra for each neon ........what should i do

thank you
Old 12/24/2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by franco_oo
hey guys im going to bye this ficture (nova extreme pro 48''),but i told to change the original t5 lamps for giesmans and he charging me about 10$ extra for each neon ........what should i do

thank you
Keep the current blue lamps and have him replace the 10K's with 1 Pure Actinic, 1 Midday and 1 Aquablue assuming you have 3 10K lamps.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I have been running the 36" on my 46 bow front for about 2 weeks now, I have to say it is a bright fixture, the only complaint I have is the 12" width of the fixture makes getting into the tank difficult. Even though there were a few short cuts taken, the fixture is well worth the price.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

ok thank you,but is aqua blue plus is the same thing to aqua blue ,im a big 0 in lightning ,is not going to be to blue and the grow of corals ?? ,if i whant less blue a put a nother midday ??in staid of witch one....

sorry about my english

thank's i apreciated
Old 12/24/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

cracks me up first t5 now ho t5 and of corse comming next vho t5, so why change from vho t12 . stupid