Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/09/2007, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

New Bangaii Cardinal broodstock shipment

Hi! I just received a shipment of four bangaiis. I picked them up at my LFS still in the bags from the wholesaler. I took a random picture of them in the QT tank tonight. Much to my surprise when looking later, the cardinal in the picture appears to be holding eggs. Through all the stress of being bagged, boxed, airfreighted, and a new home? That's dedication!

Is that what I'm really seeing in the photo? Or is it just an artifact of the flash?

If they are eggs, any way to tell how far along these are? And how much time I might have 'til release, if he continues to brood? They look like they are just about to the stage where my old pj cardinals would have released them in a couple of days, but I know bangaiis hold a lot longer.

Brine shrimp nauplii and rots for first food? I figured I had at least six weeks+ before I had to have done the research.

I'm sorry the focus is a little off. The tank lights are off now, so I can't try again 'til tomorrow.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 02/09/2007, 05:33 AM
10 & Over Club

yup -they are dedicated fish and yes it does look like someone is holding eggs.
Rots or BBS first either way, many people just use enriched BBS as its easier to produce and maintain.
Old 02/09/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I duuno Frank, look again. The picture is badly out of focus but to me that looks like something on the outside of the lip. In both pics his mouth seems to be closed.
Old 02/09/2007, 01:38 PM
Team RC Member

I agree, doesn't appear to be holding. Heres a couple pics of what he'll look like with eggs/babies in the mouth. Watch for this.

for first foods, I stick with Brine shrimp nauplii, and freeze dried cyclopeeze. Rots shouldn't be neccessary but David M. has some better info about that.

And Congrats on picking the best fishies in the world! There so worth getting and I think everybody should own one...or two...or ten.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 02/09/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks all! I'll try to get a better picture tonight. I was worried that it might have been a reflection from the flash (they are so bright compared to the PJs).

I do have some pics of the PJ holding (RIP ) if you're interested:

http://65.102.221.68/IMG_4791_2.jpg

http://65.102.221.68/IMG_4797_2.jpg

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 02/09/2007, 06:19 PM
Team RC Member

Nice photo's, my next project will probably be the PJ's. Not as cool as the bangaii's, but close.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 02/09/2007, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm still working on pictures. One of the bangaiis is not taking food, though. He's seems pretty tempted but then he veers away at the last minute (just like the PJs used to).

Old 02/12/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Well, I was never able to get any good pictures and now all four seem to be taking food. So, either it was an artifact of the flash or he swallowed the babies. And me with an artificial urchin prepared and all....

Next time....