Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2007, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

Is this the ovipositor on my perc?

Hi, sorry about the blurry photos, but she won't stay still. My anemonefish have not spawned yet, but this one picked out a euphyllia for a host ~4-6 weeks ago. The male is a lot younger than she, but he has bulk up a lot in the last couple of weeks and has started tentatively hosting a turbinaria near the female. Anyway, I'm looking for signs of impending whoopie from the two. Thanks! FWIW, the male is a black-and-white.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 01/19/2007, 01:59 AM
Moved On

HMMMM...kinda looks like it to me. You didn't mention any nest cleaning activity...on my percs both are vigorously cleaning during the day in advance of the spawn.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 01/19/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Matt. They have not started cleaning yet. But, she starting to spend more and more time in and around the hammer coral she's chosen. I'll keep an eye out.

I honestly think the female's really been jonesing a spawn. She hasn't seemed to appreciate having to wait for junior to grow up. I wonder if this is how the _Star Wars_ romance went? Princess Amidala just waiting around for Anikin to grow up?

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 01/19/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Hahaha, from what I have read, they should boithe be cleaning teh nest site, so no, that may not be the ovipositor.
Old 01/20/2007, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Okay, thanks! Although, it was there last night as well. I'll keep looking.

Old 01/20/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

It looks like an ovipositer to me.
Old 01/25/2007, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

A quick update--The male and female have been much closer lately and the male's size seems to have changed really quickly. I've also caught the female making a couple of quick passes over the terracotta plate I put next to her euphyllia. Maybe soon....

Old 01/25/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

In that case it may be the ovipositor.