Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Planning a 30 Gallon SW Planted/Macro Tank

I originally made this post in "New to the Hobby", but it was suggested that I ask my questions here for more help.

Here is the link to my questions:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1022072

Thanks!
Old 01/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Here's lookin at you

First some reading: Macroalgae, and seagrass

Plan sounds good, I'm not sure how large pulverized limestone is, but I think you would want something thats somewhat small grained like caribsea reefgrade or smaller. I think I would cut back on the rock a bit too, and leave more open sand. Also a bit deeper with the sand 2-3 inches min for some seagrasses, but you would need deeper for others.

Lighting could be PC, T5's, MH, shoot for 3 watts per gallon min. You could have less for many macros, but higher light for better growth, and seagrasses.

Check the stickies at the top of this forum for more info. Welcome to the marine plants forum.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 01/18/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

The pulverized limestone that I have is power-like. I can get more then, if I am going to need a sand bed that deep. Will I need anything to keep it sifted or stirred?

I am going to read the links you posted.
Old 01/18/2007, 03:19 PM
Here's lookin at you

Quality LR will contain creatures which will help keep your sand bed sifted. There are also online vendors which sell quality live sand recharge kits which should help as well. My favorite is get the stuff from the bottom of the LR tanks at the LFS. This usually contains worms, microstars, pods just make sure to QT it in case there are bad guys there as well. Everything should be QT'd anyway.

Old 01/18/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

So, when you go to the LPS/LFS, you just ask them for a scoop of the junk at the bottom of the LR tank?
Old 01/18/2007, 07:04 PM
Here's lookin at you

Quote:
Originally posted by AnneRiceBowl
So, when you go to the LPS/LFS, you just ask them for a scoop of the junk at the bottom of the LR tank?
Well its nice to be able to see whats in there so hopefully they have the LR in glass tanks. I like to be able to see life in there before I buy it. Basically yes I just ask them to scoop some out for me, usually its about a couple bucks a pound, make sure they weigh it without too much water and have them add water to it before you take it so it isnt dry.

LFS = Local Fish Store

Old 01/20/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Ok....Here's where I am:

I need the 30 gallon for something else, so, I am going to use a 10 gallon that I have. I am home just about everyday of the week, so performing maintenace shouldn't be a problem.

I started setup last night on the tank. I am using pulverized limestone for substrate, and I've got about a 2" sand bed. I added LR. I have a powerheard in the tank, heater, and I am putting an AquaClear filter on the back to use as a sort of powerhead and as a place to hide the heater. I may end up removing the actual powerhead that's in there now. The only other piece of equipment that I need to get is a light. I'm looking for a 20" PC. I'll head to the LPS in a few days to get some LR rubble from their LR tank.

Does this sound good so far?
Old 01/20/2007, 12:31 PM
Here's lookin at you

Sure, maintaning stable salinity in the 10 will be alittle more challenging than the 30, but not a big deal if you take care of it daily.

Old 01/20/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Should the tank be covered? How long do I let the tank cycle before adding livestock? Can I go ahead and start adding macros?
Old 01/20/2007, 03:40 PM
Here's lookin at you

I would leave it uncovered for proper gas exchange. On the cycle it depends, plants thrive on ammonia and nitrite so it shouldnt be an issue as long as the ammonia doesnt get too outta control. Remember most of these plants are capable of surviving shipping stress and the tank cycle on LR.

Old 01/20/2007, 07:39 PM
Sea cowgirl

I wouldn't remove the powerhead in the tank and leave it up to the filter to circulate the tank water. Especially if you eventually cover the tank. Good gas exchange is crucial to ensuring the plants/macros have enough carbon to use to grow and part of the exchange comes from water flow. If anything remove the filter and keep the powerhead.

>Sarah
Old 01/30/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I now have a powerhead and kept the filter on the tank. The filter hides the heater and thermometer and provides some flow. I am using pulverized limstone and LR rubble for substrate at around a 2" depth. I have some Tonga branch base rock, added a small piece of LR, chaeto (to get me started; will be selling this or putting it in the AquaClear filter--ideas?), and I have some other macro that I can't remember the name of but I'll look it up. I got some brittle stars and some other stars (has 6 legs), and I also got a few snails as hitchhikers with the macros. I have a PC light on the way. So far so good?
Old 01/31/2007, 11:52 AM
Mackerel

I routinely set up a 10G with a 32W PC lamp and an Aquaclear PF. I put in 2 or 3 pieces of rock with some plants attached. The purpose is usually to quarantine new arrivals or to separate and nurse coral that are doing poorly. Once the nitrogen cycle is established I pull the PF floss filter out and get a little better water flow out of the filter. After that I put GAC in a filter bag into the filter for a few hours once a week to take some of the yellow tint out of the water. At the same time I run GAC I'll stir up the detritus and let the PF pull it out. You can grow a variety of plants, invertebrates, and small fish in a little tank like this.
Old 01/31/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

I don't get the "Pulverized Limestone". What exactly is it and where are you getting it from? What are the advantages of using it over regular sand? How does it affect the water quality and pH?

Forgive the ??? but I have never heard of anyone using it before.

Bruce
Old 02/03/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Bruce, I read a few posts on here where people are using pulverized limestone as basically a DIY substrate (I think in reef tanks). I would post a few links, but I have the free membership here, and I can rarely use the Search function.
Old 02/03/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Nevermind, I was actually able to use Search for once.

Here's a good thread I found here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ized+limestone

Here's the Search page:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search...der=descending

Also, there's a brand name that seems to be a favorite here. It's called Southdown. Pulverized limestone is supposed to be similar to the properties of aragonite.
Old 02/03/2007, 06:25 PM
Here's lookin at you

The pulverized limestone is basically whats being used as an inexpensive alternative to the aragonite you buy at the LFS. Kinda filling the void left when southdown disappeared from the market. I think most big box hardware stores have it. It does provide buffering like aragonite as I understand it.

Old 02/03/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Ok I have heard of Southdown but it is rarely available on the west coast. I just haven't heard it called pulverized limestone. That sounds like something you make by wacking it with a hammer :-).
Old 02/03/2007, 06:45 PM
Here's lookin at you

Wacking it with a hammer is pretty much how its made, its mined. The pulverized limestone may not be available everywhere, its marketed under the name pavestone. Adding vinegar to some will tell you if its calcium carbonate or not. If it fizzes then its calcium carbonate. As a side note there's nothing wrong with using silica sand for your sand bed.

Old 02/04/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

I want to do a water parameters test today. Can I use the same glass tubes for the SW tank? I have been using them on my FW tanks. Do I just clean them thoroughly with distilled white vinegar and lots of clean tap water?
Old 02/04/2007, 12:21 PM
Sea cowgirl

I cant see why not. Using the white vinegar is a good idea and at least triple rinse them with water, then let 'em dry.

>Sarah
Old 02/04/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks Samala.
Old 02/04/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

While I am thinking about it, because I will forget to ask later:

I have a minijet 404 powerhead on this tank. Is that and the AquaClear 20 (set on high flow) enough flow in the tank?
Old 02/04/2007, 03:02 PM
Here's lookin at you

How many GPH is that pump?

Old 02/04/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

I have it set on high, so 106 gph. If that's not enough, I'll put a bigger powerhead in the tank.