Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2006, 06:34 PM
Moved Aside

a few questions

Ok, I am on Chapter 8 (Live Food Cultures) on Wilkerson's book, and just have a few questions.

1) My ocellaris clown fish host the top of a power head in the back corner of my tank. When I do my weekly water changes, the water level drops below the top of the power head. What effect could this have on the spawning of my fish?

2) What do you do with clay pots, floor tiles, etc.. to prepare them to add to the tank? Do you boil them or what?

3) In late oct, I found my female clown on the floor. It took about a week, but I found a replacement female. It took about another week, with no fighting or chasing, but they paired up. Now, just about a week ago, I noticed they are now pretty much separated during the day by 6 or so inches as the male now hangs out at another site, At night, it seems as if they both go back to the power head. Should I be worried? The clowns dont pick at each other or anything. The female will go out and swim by the male, but them go back to the powerhead. I have a peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, snails and a watchmen goby in the tank so I am pretty sure nothing is bothering them. The two fish are probably around a year and a half old. Also, the tank is a 20L.

TIA
Old 12/26/2006, 10:40 PM
Moved On

Everything sounds OK. To answer specific questions.

1. If the fish have a spawn, it's probably best to minimize the time it would spend out of water while developing. Don't do water changes that will expose the eggs for extensive time periods and you don't have an issue.

2. Rinse thoroughly...boiling doesn't hurt. Bleaching and Dechloring wouldn't hurt either (look up how to bleach clean decorative coral and you'll get the jist).

3. Sounds normal from what I've experienced and read about younger / newly formed pairs.

Matt