Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/22/2007, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

going to Grand Caymon in October?

anyone know some good dives sites around Grand Caymon
Old 03/23/2007, 01:13 PM
10 & Over Club

Lot's of them

Next the Turtle Farm is a cut in the iron shore with a nice ladder installed for divers and a dive shop under the Cracked Conch Resteraunt, excellent site for both diving and snorkeling. There are number of good sites along the south side of the island, and some very good ones on the East End and North Wall. Last time I was there I dove with Ocean Frontiers and found them to be an excellent operation on the East End, well worth looking them up.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 03/23/2007, 02:49 PM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

Gotta do Sting Ray City for city. Did one other dive when I went last October, but don't remember the site. The overall water clarity is spectacular. Be sure to visit Hell while you're there. Its cheesy, but funny.

Mythbusters
Old 03/27/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Here are some pictures of my trip to stingray city.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/321...nfo/AlbumTitle
Old 03/27/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

i will be going there the first two weeks of july. i am going to start a thread when i get back.
Old 03/30/2007, 01:42 PM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

FB, you didn't dive with the rays, though. Much better to dive than to hang out on the sand bar. Less crowded too. I got three goos stingray hickies from heand feeding the rays. We couldn't find Psycho (9 ft green moray) or son of Psycho (6 foor green moray) when we were there, but maybe you'll have better luck!

Mythbusters
Old 04/01/2007, 12:03 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I went 2 years ago and snorkled. It was on the south side near where the boats transport the cruise people to the island. They had a reef and wreck snorkle spot. It was pretty neat, not a whole lot of life for a snorkler, but for a diver, it would be sweet. The ship wreck was a rice boat that sunk after a leak caused the rice to expand and blow the sides of the ship.
Old 04/10/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Just got back last week from GC. Mostly snorkeled. Excellent shore snorkeling off of Cemetary Beach, pretty far out, but only 15-20 deep. Nice dive & snorkel off of Eden rock & Devils Grotto just off the pier, but fairly heavy boat traffic from the cruise ships. Be sure to snorkel off of the small docks as you walk along 7mile beach out of georgetown...there is a "wreck" dive/snorkel there, pretty shallow, but with lots of good sized tarpon (3-5"), they feed them nightly at the lobsterpot, which is quite an impressive scene. Also saw some of the largest parrot fish I've seen, 3'+. Check out the port authority & find out when/how many boats are in. Georgetown & stingray sandbar are NUTS, so avoid them at all costs. We did the sandbar in the afternoon, only 3 small boats then, while in the morning there were over 30 (boats, not people). Be sure to eat at "chickenchicken", in one of the strip malls just past the Marriott. It has fantastic jerked chicken & sides, for less than you'll pay for a drink & dessert & most other places, pretty local for that part of the island. Also, use the bus at $2.50 US. Taxi's are very expensive (assuming you don't rent a car, pricey but a good way to go).