Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Diving in Jamaica

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon in May of 2008. We've read about the Sandals Ocho Rios and it looks nice (good service, all-inclusive, nice setting). More importantly, the dive sites all have promising descriptions of coral and smaller fish, which we'd like to see. Has anyone been here? Sandals' website looks very promising, of course, but what are the negatives? I've heard Cozumel is also a very nice place for diving, but what about accommodations? Bugs? Climate?
Old 03/26/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

I have dove both in Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and in Cozumel this past year in a half...... If your trip is all about diving, I most definately would head to Cozumel!!! The diving in Jamacia doesn't even come close to Cozumel.

Don't get me wrong about Jamaica though, I absolutely love the country and the peeps. As for the climate in May ...I am not sure. Both places I travelled in the winter time and they were pretty much the same...including water temp.
Old 03/26/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I've read that Jamaica's diving has really fallen off in the past years, but the diving is secondary to the honeymoon activites. We're leaning more towards Sandals @ Negril. St. Lucia was also a possibility, but I don't know much about it in comparison to Jamaica. The Negril resort seemed to be very nice and was a lot less expensive.
Old 03/29/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I would reccomend Negril over Ochi Rios! Seems to be a bit more peaceful and romantic...plus I heard the diving is better on that side of the island as well!!! I'm not sure about St. Lucia...never have been there. Which ever you choose...congratulations and the best of wishes
Old 03/30/2007, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

Well, the fiancee is going to be putting the deposit down on the trip today. Wish us luck.
Old 04/02/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

If you want Sandals and Jamaica, you HAVE to stay at the newer Whitehouse resort. I believe this is the nicest Sandals resort of all! Get the butler service, too, if you can.

As far as diving is concerned, you have access to their snorkeling excursions as part of the package. Pretty neat and we saw some great tropicals.

They also have scuba excursions, but I am not too sure about the sites (although Whitehouse is not as populated and the dive sites may be better).
Old 04/02/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

If you want Sandals and Jamaica, you HAVE to stay at the newer Whitehouse resort. I believe this is the nicest Sandals resort of all! Get the butler service, too, if you can.

Whitehouse is a bit more laid back as compared to Negril, so I don't know if you're looking for a relaxed spot or a spot that is more party-oriented.

As far as diving is concerned, you have access to their snorkeling excursions as part of the package. Pretty neat and we saw some great tropicals.

They also have scuba excursions, but I am not too sure about the sites (although Whitehouse is not as populated and the dive sites may be better).
Old 04/06/2007, 12:20 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Look at Couple's over Sandals - save yourself some money in Jamaica. I went to Negril for my honeymoon 7 years ago. I remember the snorkeling being pretty decent, but compared to Grand Cayan last year there is just no comparison.
Don't know about Ocho Rios but the Negril side of the island didn't offer to much reef.

All the resorts use the same dive sites.