Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/03/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Trip to Cozumel

Hi everybody, I am planning a scuba diving trip to Cozumel at the end of April beginning of May. I'm going with some friends and just wanted to see if anybody has dove over there and had any suggestions, places to party are also acceptable. We are getting a good deal since I work at a dive shop, price has not been finalized but it looks like ~600 for airfare + hotel for a week, plus food and diving if anybody would like to join us.
Old 03/05/2007, 01:47 PM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

Been there. Loved it. The ruins in the heart of the island are worth visiting also. Take a cab into downtown for shopping, eating. You'll get approached by people trying to sell things, but its not as bad as a lot of places. As for diving, Palancar reef is supposed to be the place to go. I have snorkeled there, but was not certified to dive at the time. Very beautiful, about 35 feet depth, lots of corals, lobsters, eels, fish and even an occasional octopus.

Mythbusters
Old 03/06/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

French Lady is also a great reef for a second dive of the day. Don't miss out on Devil's throat on the south end of the island. Might want to get on a fast boat to go there. There are so many dive spots you can dive all week and never hit the same area twice, particularly if you stick with the same dive operator. There are many good ones, but I prefer Dive Paradise. Call Apple and she will set you guys up for whatever you want to dive! If you're staying on the water, they'll come pick you up at your own pier. We're going back in less than two weeks and can't wait!
Old 03/07/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Went their last year and loved it. I see yor from Miami, I am going there in June and was wondering if there's any place worth diving or if I need to head to the keys. By the way go to senor frogs its a blast.
Old 03/07/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Miami is awsome for diving specially if you like wrecks. I work at Tarpoon Lagoon in Miami Beach, stop by I'll hook you up.
Old 03/16/2007, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Check out Devil's Throat in Cozumel, Beautiful dive if you can go to 135 ft
Old 03/22/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Go to www.scubaboard.com and check out the cozumel forum. You'll find more diving-in-cozumel related information there than you can possibly use, including all sorts of recommendations for dive ops. If you know where on the island you're staying, like where your hotel is, that can be helpful choosing a dive op. All the big hotels have on site dive ops, but they're not necessarily the best ones. There are many good ones, though. You'll have fun.

I've been there 5-6 times over the last few years.
Old 03/22/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Santa Rosa reef:
Fantastic, you drop down 60 feet to a reef that just drops off from a plain into an abyss. The current runs about 10knots so its like flying. They pick you up and the end so it is effortless. Also see Columbia reef, it has 40 foot high columns that you swim between at about 80 feet so it is a short dive but spectacular.