Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2007, 03:57 PM
Moved On

Camera Housings

I have been looking to buy a housing for either my Canon Rebel XT or my JVC Everio G digital camcorder. I was leaning towards getting one for the video camera. I found this:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/jvc_mg77.html

has anyone ever used this brand?

Comments?
Old 01/01/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Go for it, ikelite is reputable, and they have great UW photography equipment. Video cameras are fun UW, but still cameras are still my preference. Just don't go for the cheap option, or it will inevitable all end in tears, failure is invariably a catastrophic event in an UW housing. Good Luck!
Old 01/01/2007, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

I'm a bit reluctant to bring my Digital Rebel down 125' in a plastic box, even if the box does cost more than the camera.

Wanting a decent underwater camera, found a new Olympus housing on sale for $50. I then bought the matching camera on eBay for $150. I don't recall the exact model but it is 5.1 MP. Although I won't be a happy camper if the housing floods, I'll "only" be out $200.

I don't know if that is an option for a movie camera...

ri
Old 01/01/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I have an Ikelite housing and a Nikon D100, love it.
Ikelite makes some of the best housing.
The only people I hear of flooding there housings are people that rush when putting it together or people that open the housing on the boat. Put your housing together the night before at the hotel or your house in a nice, slow, controled manor. Then when getting into the water have someone hand you the camera once your in the water. The clips on the housing are not made to take a giant stride entry, they only seal the housing enough to make it water tight until the water pressure takes over and seals it the rest of the way. Make sure the oring grooves are clean along with the orings. Inspect your orings for damage after every use. And if you have any question about an oring throw it out. When you start your decent look in the housing for any leaks, most will happen at the surface when there is little pressure holding the housing closed.

As a last resort just get flood insurance.
Here are some shots from our last trip.

Old 01/01/2007, 11:14 PM
DARC Board Member

I have an Ikelite for my Rebel XTi and an Amphibico for my DV cam. The Ikelite works well, is plenty rugged and I like the ability to see that the O-ring is seated properly. There are some great aluminum housings for the Rebel and other DSLRs, but they are quite expensive.

The only think that I'd like to see on the Ikelite is a magnifier for the view finder.... something like Aquatica does.

Great shots by the way, fppf!

-Rob
Old 01/02/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Rob
I'm still VERY new but learning.
My Ikelite for the D100 has an Aluminum back and a acrylic front to it. It also has a magnifier for the view finder. The only problem I have is I find it to strong, I can't see the setting information at the bottom and the whole image at the same time.

Here is the link, this housing is not made anymore though.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2d100.html
Old 01/04/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I agree, I have had an Ikelite for 2 video cameras, don't let the acrylic fool you....it is VERY strong. Great housings!
Old 01/10/2007, 01:02 PM
I think I love my tank

Ikelite all the way!