Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/02/2006, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

New update: I have seen the crab eating the algea! he climbed all the way up the glass, to get at some of it that was growing on the powerhead intake screen. After a quick google search, I found there are a few crabs called "Sally Lightfoot", one of which looks like something I would never put in my tank. Another name is the nimble spray crab, percnon gibbesi or percnon planissimum, which also looks right. I'll have to take a closer look, but I'm in a wedding this weekend and may not be able to for a few days.
Old 06/02/2006, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Interesting. I used to have a SLF...interceptor did her in. Didn't have Dictyota then....hmmmmmm. She picked at the rock non-stop, 24/7 (at least she appeared to!).
Old 06/02/2006, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Here is a photo of my Rabbitfish eating this stuff!

Old 06/19/2006, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Hello,

For all you people trying to scrub Dictyota off your rocks........it will not work!!! This algae has two forms, one made up of fine filaments that invade the small holes and crevices and the leaf-like vegetative form. The leaf-like form's function is to accumulate nutrient and produce very small reproductive cells that fragment and develop into new colonies. Picking it off the rocks speeds up the colonization of new rocks.

There is a way (other than clorax or cooking) to permently remove it from your rock, but you have to be at the desperate stage in your algae fight. I was there and them some, it is now gone from 50% to 60% of my rocks, dying on the other rocks, and the reef did not recycle.

Honeybee
Old 06/19/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeybee
There is a way (other than clorax or cooking) to permently remove it from your rock, but you have to be at the desperate stage in your algae fight. I was there and them some, it is now gone from 50% to 60% of my rocks, dying on the other rocks, and the reef did not recycle.

Honeybee
I'm humming the theme to "Jeopardy"....while I wait for the "way to permently remove it"....

Old 06/19/2006, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

TA

You are not got to like the procedure, but when I have time tomorrow I will give you the details. Bed time for us old guys.

Honeybee
Old 06/20/2006, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Too bad a Naso Tang is not an option for you. My Naso has done a great job at cleaning up any clumps of this type of algae. Highly recomend a Naso for any tank large enough to house it.
Old 06/20/2006, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeybee
TA

You are not got to like the procedure, but when I have time tomorrow I will give you the details. Bed time for us old guys.

Honeybee
I'm sure you're right!

I was just curious and as I read your post, I was waiting for the 'punch-line'. Glad to hear you're getting it under control.
Old 06/20/2006, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Hello TA,

How to really remove Dictyota from your rocks:

The problem is that scrubbing it off with a brush only removes it from the upper surface. You need to scour the entire surface down into every crack and crevice. This is going to take off everything but the coralline algae, including the nutrient leaden detritus. The next problem is to prevent the algae from again colonizing the rock. Since the procedure requires removing the rock from the reef (this in itself is going to fragment the algae) I used a Magnum 350 canister with a water polishing filter to vacuum the entire bottom.

This algae need lots of light. I have 10 watts / gallon of VHO on12 hours. I reduced it to 4 hours, the corals are out and the algae is not growing. The algae appears to be degrading and fragmenting so as a preventative I use a tooth brush and the Magnum canister every few days to vacuum the bottom and rock that I did not scour.

The procedure requires that you remove up to 60% of your surface rock that has active growing Dictyota (more might cause your reef to recycle). Your are going to use a 1600 to1800 psi power washer with a needle jet to quickly scour the entire surface of each rock and then place it in a bucket of salt water with the same parameters as your reef. It would be best if you have a chlorine free water source. Have a friend using large tongs cover any valuable critters with a plastic cup as the high pressure water will remove or kill most reef organisms. No fingers on the rock, a high pressure washer can take skin off the bones. 120 psi air jet can remove most of the vegetative form of the algae near soft corals, SPC or zoanthids without killing them. Do not use air near LPC.

During my morning vacuum I found something disturbing, while the vegetative form is degrading the filaments on rock not power washed are very healthy and difficult to remove. Question is, is the algae really dying or is this a reproductive strategy for stressful environmental conditions. Since this Dictyota is believed to do well in actinic light I am going to change bulbs and remove 50% of the actinic.

Honeybee
Old 06/20/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Throwing some ideas out for you.

Of all of the algeas I have introduced into my sps tank, this one has been the slowest to die. If nutrients are low enough it will not grow, but if you keep anything other than sps, forthe most part, being in this condition things will starve. So if you keep a more "mixed" reef, starving it out is not much of an option because you will need to out starve most of your corals in the process.

One easy, sure-fire thing I have used in the past on rocks that I cannot cook (cure in the dark for extended periods) usually because there is an acro attached, is I boil some ro-water, take the rock out of the tank and with a turkey baister I baist only the algea with the boiling water. This takes minutes, will not kill the whole rock (only what you blast with the turkey baster) and when it is done just put the rock back in the tank and let the animals eat the dead algea. If it clears and later a small amount starts coming back, one more treatment will usually do it. Just make sure you dont let the steam from the water hit any corals and they will be fine.

P.S. Emerals work, but without a near sterile condition (which is not good for 99% of your inhabitants) all you are doing is halping it spread.

Hope that helps a bit, and good-luck.

-John-
Old 06/21/2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanks mntl,

I think I will stick with power washing. I have found that coralline and calcareous tube worms survive the power wash, however I do not think they would like boiling water. Nutrients are not the way for me to go. Since I have had trouble growing Dictyota in my power compact reef, playing with the light mix might work.

Honeybee
Old 06/22/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

BlueStag, "Too bad a Naso Tang is not an option for you. My Naso has done a great job at cleaning up any clumps of this type of algae. Highly recomend a Naso for any tank large enough to house it."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So a Naso will eat Dictyota and keep it under control? Does it make a difference if it is a Naso or a Blonde Naso - are they both effective at this? I was looking to get a Blonde (aren't we all - lol), however, if only the regular Naso's are effective at geting rid of Dictyota, then I will switch strategies and not get the Blonde. Please comment back on this - thanks!
Old 06/22/2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

I can only comment on the Naso. The Blonde is the same family, but I dont have any experience with it. Try it and let us know.
Old 06/22/2006, 09:49 AM
Force of Nature

The way I have control this macro algae is throught vaccuming it out during water changes and using Tuxedo urchins. I don't see them eating it (they are nocturnal), but I find the algae stuck to theirs spines on a regular bases.