Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Bathtub reef dive

Anyone up for a Bathtub reef dive this weekend? I might be going down and was wondering if anyone else might be interested.
Old 06/09/2006, 04:45 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

thats it .....I am buying some diving gear soon and I am going diving. I have been certified for 12 years and do not even own my own equipment

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 06/10/2006, 08:17 AM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I looked up bathtub reef online and it looks great. I am going down there in about 20 minutes. I think its only 2 hours from orlando. I'l post my experiences when I get back.

Old 06/11/2006, 11:24 AM
Life's better on 1 wheel

This place was awesome! I saw tangs, porkfish, snappers, damsels, and LOTS of blennies. They should call it Blenny Reef! There were purple blennys, green blennys, big blennies, small blennies. I have never seen a 8-9" blenny until I went there. The water was really nice when we got there around noon. The tide started to come in and it got cloudy and windy around 3-4pm. So we had a good three hours of nice snorkeling. The reef is actually made up of worms that gather sand and build a structure. Kind of weird since there wasnt much coral there. I also saw no crabs. We caught two high hats. I havbe one in my tank right now and hes doing great. I also got about 15 snails for my tank. Next time I go I am going to try and catch a tang. I definetely recomend this place for a day at the beach and snorkeling. Only 2 hours away too! It beats driving to the keys.

bath tub reef wen site

great snorkeling spots

Old 06/12/2006, 11:35 AM
Keeper of Tangs

wow dave thanks for letting us know.
Old 06/12/2006, 01:14 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

you were with me.......lol

Old 06/13/2006, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

dude!!!! you live in Florida, your certified, and you don't own any gear??? I have just got to ask, have you ever heard of or seen pictures of cave diving? If not, don't look it up. It looks awsome, but its very expensive and entails major training. Im headed your way in November (I hope and pray) to attend DEMA (once a year Diving industry show) and hoping to start taking some cavern/intro to cave training while I'm there.
Old 06/13/2006, 11:26 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

Theres a lot of cave diving in the fresh water springs around here. I prefer the ocean on a reef. Lots more to see and your not confined. Lots of people die cave diving. I only go diving about once a year. I really want to get into it more.